Washington, DC Baseball Nickname

Jaybird

If the Washington, DC area has Major League Baseball Again, What Should the Team be Called?  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well,there have been rumors (rumours for our Canadian friends) :flagcanada: that for the 2005 baseball season, Washington, DC will be getting a team, with the Montreal Expos being the likely candidate to come to the nation's capital. If this is so, I would hate seeing the Expos leave Montreal (By the way, I like it when the ballpark signs show ads for upcoming movies in French [ex. La Femme Chat- Catwoman]) and taking away a unique part of baseball. However, I think that DC should have the baseball team that they haven't had since the 1971 season when then owner Bob Short took the Senators (who replaced the original Senators in 1961 when the original Senators moved to Minnesota and became the Twins) and moved them to Texas and became the Rangers.

This is my question:

If baseball should return to the nation's capital, what should the team be called? Here are my choices and the whys and why nots:

1. Washington Senators. Officially became the nickname of the Old Washington Nationals in 1956, and was the name of the expansion team in 1961. Some say it's a sentimental favorite, but also brings back memories when the first Senators (with Harmon Killebrew) moved to Minnesota and of losing baseball of the 2nd group of Senators (with the exception of the Ted Williams managed 1969 team that finished 3rd in the American League East). Plus, I wonder if the Twins and the Rangers still own the rights to the name.

2. Washington Nationals. This nickname is what the Nats used until officially becoming the Senators in 1956 (Before then the Sens was an unofficial nickname). Also, the Nationals nickname was used when the team won its only World Series in 1924 behind Walter Johnson. If Nationals is used, I think the new team should fly the 1924 American League and World Series pennants, plus the 1925 and 1933 American League Pennants the team had (According to the Official World Series site, the Nationals beat the New York Giants in 1924, lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1925, and lost to the Giants in 1933). Plus, the Nationals nickname was the one that would have been used for the new expansion team in 1993, when DC lost out to Denver and Miami for the teams. Also, as in post#1, I wonder if the Twins own the rights to the Nationals name.

3. Get a new nickname for a fresh start. Some say don't use Senators or Nationals because of the tradition of losing baseball (Remember the joke WASHINGTON: 1ST IN WAR, 1ST IN PEACE, & LAST IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE). Some DC fans don't want to hear WASHINGTON: 1ST IN WAR, 1ST IN PEACE, AND LAST IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE either.

4. DC won't be getting a team. Norfolk, Las Vegas, Portland, and San Juan have also been mentioned as possibilities.

Vote for your choice. IMHO, I like Senators, but when the team was called the Nationals, they seemed to have more success, especially in the 1924 Series when the Nats claimed the only World Series title for the Nation's Capital, either for the 1st group or 2nd group of Senators/Nationals.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked Nationals because they'll be in the National League, and it'll be like the early 20th century when teams in the World Series were usually nicknamed after their league (look at old world series newspaper articles)

"Boston Americans defeat Pittsburg Nationals" something like that

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Well, Minnesota doesn't own the rights to the names due to the fact the second Senators team was named the Senators. However they would not be able to fly the 1924 World Series Championship because they didn't win it. Those chanmionships officially belong to the Minnesota Twins franchise. I'm not sure if the Rangers own the right to the Senators name however I'm sure they wouldn't object to it being used.

How about the Capital Hill Legends?

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I like the Senators as a name. Keeping the Expos name makes no sense to me. (Surely in part that name comes from the Montreal Exposition??) Tyhe Nationals would be ok, but just don't think it sounds that great. A whole other name could work, maybe it wouldn't carry the same baggage, but I like the Senators name.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The Washington Virginians.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

only problem is, washington isnt in virginia

That's where most of their fan base will be from, and also their new stadium.

The Redskins aren't in Washington either.

semperfi.gif

Well, Minnesota doesn't own the rights to the names due to the fact the second Senators team was named the Senators. However they would not be able to fly the 1924 World Series Championship because they didn't win it. Those chanmionships officially belong to the Minnesota Twins franchise. I'm not sure if the Rangers own the right to the Senators name however I'm sure they wouldn't object to it being used.

In that case, can I change my vote to Senators?

I picked Nationals because they'll be in the National League, and it'll be like the early 20th century when teams in the World Series were usually nicknamed after their league (look at old world series newspaper articles)

"Boston Americans defeat Pittsburg Nationals" something like that

Actually, I think that the name Nationals for Washington's baseball club goes back to the 1800's. Washington was in the National League until losing their team in 1899, I think. When the American League was founded in 1901, the team took the Nationals name.

As for the Senators nickname, it was an unofficial nickname used by the press (along with the shortened form, Sens, as well as Nats for Nationals). It wasn't until 1956 that the team officially changed its name to the Senators.

the redskins are in d.c. the district of columbia is not just washington it encompasses some of maryland and northern virginia as well.

It was created out of land from Maryland and Virginia, It is not a part of either state anymore than Texas is a part of Mexico. I beleive what you are thinking of is the DC Metro Area, which is something they use when talking about TV market size and the such. And that would be correct, they fall into the DC Metro area, hell Baltimore almost does.

The Redskins play in Landover, Maryland. The taxes that the team pays go to Maryland.

Address FedExField

1600 FedEx Way

Landover , MD 20785

semperfi.gif

Archived