A-League logo unveiled

Alphabet Man

first of all, that logo is terrible...

secondly, isn't A-League already a league in the US and Canada?

The A-league is a step down from MLS. There's also a team in Puerto Rico. Does ICS have a Puerto Rican smiley?

I saw, I came, I left.

That league logo is supremely awful...what makes it even worse is the verbal diarrhoea they used to justify it!

http://www.a-league.com.au/public/article/...&menuItemID=513

?Importantly, it also needs to say, ?Australia? and ?Football? and to represent the unifying role of the A-League while, at the same time, being ?cool? enough to resonate with a younger audience.

?Our research would suggest we have managed to achieve the desired effect,? he added.

?The spherical and three dimensional logo shape depicts a soccer ball while the two toned ochre colours represent the sun, earth and desert which are typical Australian,? said Mr Carroll.

?On closer examination, you see a glow emanating from the centre of the logo which depicts the playing season?s spring and summer time span. This glow gives the logo warmth and life.?

Mr Carroll said the eight logo panels were deliberately briefed into the design.

?There are eight A figures contained within the logo which represent each of the Hyundai A-League?s eight foundation clubs,? he said.

The eight foundation teams are...

Perth Glory

Adelaide United

Newcastle United ("The Jets")

Melbourne Victory

Queensland Lions

Sydney FC ("The Blues")

Central Coast Mariners

Kingz FC (based in Auckland, and let us not dwell on the Z...)

Some are clubs from the old National Soccer League and already have identity packages which may or may not survive...

glory.gifAdelaide_united_logo.gifknzlogo.gif

while others (I'm looking at you, Melbourne Victory) are probably already starting to wonder how to make themselves marketable...

(in fairness to the ahem... Victory, Melbourne is the capital of Victoria, and the 'Big V' emblem has been a staple of the state's Aussie Rules rep team since day dot. And they are rumoured to be soon unveiling a playing strip very similar to French side Bordeaux:

BORDEAUX_CELADES_250903.jpg

So it's not completely without hope.)

...while, at the same time, being ?cool? enough to resonate with a younger audience.

?Our research would suggest we have managed to achieve the desired effect,? he added.

Dude, their research clearly indicates that it's cool and will resonate with a younger audience! Don't dis the research!

But seriously, folks...

Random shape?

It's a ball made out of 8 "A" shapes. I saw it immediately before reading the release.

I dunno, I kinda like it, except it's dependency on the gradient to provide depth.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Uh...no, the A League is the new Australian soccer league. It's all about relevance and remembering there's a whole world outside North America/Canada.

FWIW that logo makes me think "chocolate starfish".

Uh...no, the A League is the new Australian soccer league. It's all about relevance and remembering there's a whole world outside North America/Canada.

Cole is right. There is an A-League in North America. We are not as ignorant as you think.

http://www.a-league.com/

I saw, I came, I left.

I must disagree with you guys, I like the logo, it loks down underish, with ball being the sun. But now I'm confused, is that just a new identity for the existing league or brand new league. If it's just identity, where are 2 Croatian teams, Sydney United, and Melbourne Knights?

Down underish? If you say so! :blink::D

It is a brand new league, but all the old teams were invited to bid for the eight new places. Most of the older ethnically-based teams were not in very good shape financially and had limited scope for expanding their support base, and have either folded or gone back to fielding teams only at state level.

DUD

Definition:

1. [n] an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual; "the first experiment was a real turkey"; "the meeting was a dud as far as new business was concerned"

2. [n] an explosion that fails to occur

3. [n] (informal) someone who is unsuccessful

4. [adj] failing to detonate; especially not charged with an active explosive; "he stepped on a dud mine"

5. That logo. (All of the above)

Err, chocolate starfish being the same thing I think you mean?

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived