UNC logo question

rock55choc

OK , what about North Carolina using a goat in their logos .... whats the connection between that and Tarheel ?? I have a guess ... Idnt it something like Carolins soldiers once resorted to eating their shoes .... and s goat will eat anything ?? Am I way off base on that guess??

LibertyBowl.png

It's actually a ram, and a simple search on the Tar Heels' website produced this:

Rameses has been Carolina's mascot since 1922--well, not the same ram, but you get the idea. That year, UNC's best football player was Jack Merritt, who was known as "The Battering Ram." Vic Huggins, the head cheerleader, had come up with the idea. It's just a good thing ol' Vic wasn't cheering for the Heels when Billy Cunningham was around or there might be a kangaroo prowling the Smith Center sidelines.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

OK , what about North Carolina using a goat in their logos .... whats the connection between that and Tarheel ?? I have a guess ... Idnt it something like Carolins soldiers once resorted to eating their shoes .... and s goat will eat anything ?? Am I way off base on that guess??

eating their own shoes?!? :D

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

the school has actually gone away from this logo in the last couple of years. they have been using the Foot and interlocking NC on the majority of their merchandise

It's a complete shame too. Remember the early 90s, when you couldn't get a piece of college apparel without the school's mascot all over it? I especially remember UNC's ram (but it does look more like a goat), the Duke Blue Devil, and the U's Sebastian.

And, of course, everything was just ugly.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 3 weeks later...

I've been told by Western North Carolinians that the ram is analogous to a mountain goat, which is sure-footed in the same way that a Tarheel is (with Tarheel being a reference to the stobborn refusal of North Carolina troops to flee battlefields during the War Between the States [or a disparaging remark about a potential solution to the same troops tendency to flee {which version you adhere to is probably determined by which side of the Grits line you live on}]).

If you can weave your way through that picket fence of punctuation you can decide whether that version is full of $%!# or not... :)

I've been told by Western North Carolinians that the ram is analogous to a mountain goat...

You were told wrong. The animal mascot is a ram. Read the 2nd post in this thread, it is the official story passed down through history. UNC also trots out a live ram mascot (Rameses) for football games, with the horns painted Carolina Blue. When I was a senior at Carolina, someone stole and hacked up Rameses. He was since replaced. Gruesome stuff.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived