Blast from the past - "florida hot"

B-Rich

Was going through some old papers last night and came across a ?blast from the past? that I though might give those on the board a chuckle..

But first I have to set it up: back in spring semester of ?85, when I was college junior at LSU, I and some of my buddies were waiting in line to get into a Tigers basketball game.  Ahead of us in line were a couple of locals (not college students).  We couldn?t help but overhear their conversation, rich in the local vernacular, which went like this:

Fan #1: Man, the Tigers lookin? pretty good?.

Fan # 2: Yeah, but the SEC tough?Auburn good, Kentucky good?

Fan # 1: Don?t forget ?bout Florida?

Fan # 2: Man, Florida HOT!  I?m here to tell ya, Florida HOT.

And thus, our catchphrase for the rest of the semester became: ?Florida HOT!? (usually followed by ?I?m here to tell ya?).  Whenever an LSU player made a spectacular play, our response was, ?Florida HOT!? followed by high-fives.  When we went to spring break (in Florida) and saw a fine babe on the beach, someone would inevitably say, ?Florida HOT!?

As a joke, I drew up a logo as if that would be an NBA team name, as there was no NBA franchise in that state at the time.  Now, remember, this was in 1985, before everyone had computers and draw programs (and I was barely 20 yrs. old) so don?t be too quick to judge.  It looked like this:

HOT.jpg

I intentionally used the ?hot? spectrum of red, orange and yellow for the color scheme. Note the lame attempt at an NBA logo added for effect.  Even funnier are the uniforms:

HOTuniforms.jpg

As you can see this was clearly in 1985 (the short shorts, the coordinated orange high tops, etc.).  By the way, the guy on the right was supposed to be Bill Wennington, who was finishing up at St. John?s with Chris Mullin at the time.  I don?t think I bothered to get his number right.

What?s weird is that, as we know, a few years later the NBA did add the Miami Heat as a franchise, with a flaming basketball logo and a similar color scheme (they added black, though).  I later found out another interesting tidbit?originally the idea was for either Orlando or Miami to get a franchise (not both), and if Miami got the team, the team name was going to be the ?Florida Heat?.  Awfully close.  But then, both cities were deemed worthy, and both got franchises, so the Heat kept the designation ?Miami?.

Anyway, thought this was a laugh worth sharing?.

:laugh:

It is what it is.

Very cool.. thanks for scanning.. pretty good concept.. obviously the name was good, we got the heat!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Can they breathe in those shorts?

anyway no reason to apologize--if I had a scanner I'd check if I still had any of the old logos I drew as a kid.  Before home computers and all--or at least before I had one.

And they're not bad at all

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I think you have grounds to sue! Didn't a case go to court where one of the NFL teams was taken over a sketch they plagiarised for a new primary logo? (Don't follow NFL so not sure which team...Ravens maybe?) I say go after NBA Properties/Miami Heat first.

I can also see elements of the classic Phoenix NBA uniforms and their new PHX orange alts, so you could have a crack at them too.

You've been robbed goddamnit!!

:D

j2k-21.jpg

Bolt of lightening to the first person that makes a crack about hang time...

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Archived