Screenshots from Showtime's AFL Series

BlueSky

I'd heard Showtime had a series on the AFL going and a guy named Larry Bodnovich made mucho screenshots and sent them to Paul Lukas. The links are below and there is some great stuff there.

For example, you know how the Broncos supposedly burned the yellow and brown unis? There's no caption but this screenshot follows several showing the brown and yellows so I presume the uni roast is what this represents:

34.jpg

Talk about 'humble beginnings':

3232.jpg

Hey Darkhaha, they have nice shots of your beloved Broncos:

In Album 1

57u6.jpg

In Album2

frrere.jpg

Nameplates are all fine and good until you end up with Marty Schottenheimer on your team:

dfg.jpg

I always thought these were the best Oilers set ever:

eer.jpg

Now THAT is stripe consistency! Helmet, shoulder, sleeve cuff, pants, and socks (well, pretty much):

nt.jpg

Link to Album 1: AFL Series Screenshots 1

Link to Album 2: AFL Series Screenshots 2

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'd heard Showtime had a series on the AFL going and a guy named Larry Bodnovich made mucho screenshots and sent them to Paul Lukas. The links are below and there is some great stuff there.

Hey Darkhaha, they have nice shots of your beloved Broncos:

In Album 1

57u6.jpg

In Album2

frrere.jpg

Thanks for pointing these out, Blu Sky -- I'm so glad Larry Bodnovich has made these screen shots. I've been watching this series in a state of barely contained ecstasy and driving my wife crazy by constantly rewinding and fast-forwarding the DVR!

I know a lot of people don't like that "drunken donkey" Broncos logo, but I love it! Still think this was the best Broncos set ever... And lest everyone think I'm a total homer, I have to say that I never really liked the next generation of Broncos unis with the blue helmet, which they unfortunately wore in various incarnations for about 20 years.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

"drunken donkey"

I love the drunken donkey!

I've really got to see this show. My father came to Houston to try out for the original Houston Oilers in 1960. He didn't make the team but for many years he settled in the area and remained friends with Oiler players like Bob Talamini and Al Jamison. I talked with them and several other former Oilers about the early days of the AFL. I even spoke to the original Oiler coach Lou Rymkus. His apartment was a shrine to the original Oilers who were AFL champs in 1960 under him. It was like stepping back into the past.

Thanks for posting this.

FsQiF2W.png

I always thought these were the best Oilers set ever:

eer.jpg

I'm in total agreement! The silver worked so well with the light blue and red, I never understood why they abandoned it. I've often thought of having HR Derby do a Blanda jersey for me like the one shown here.

And here's a semi-cute budding uniform geek story: When I was a kid back in the sixties, the only way I was acquainted with these Oiler unis was in black & white photos. I had access to a couple of color shots of their previous set, so I was pretty sure that the main colors were light blue and red, but I guessed that the lighter color of the helmets and pants was an athletic gold like that of the Packers! In 1967, I got to see the Broncos play the Oilers in person, so I found out the truth... and I remember my 9-year-old brain thinking "These are the coolest uniforms ever!"

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I love the original Patriots helmet logo (without the numbers). Simple, clean, iconic. Hands-down the best they've ever worn.

I have to grudgingly agree. However, that original helmet makes me think of how much better it could have been if they made the whole helmet navy, then added a stripe all the way around that followed the profile of a tricorn hat -- deep horseshoes on the front and just behind center on each side, connected with a gently convex arc between each of the horseshoes. Would have had the potential to be as basic and iconic as the Michigan Wolverines helmet.

20082614447.png

i watched last night. great stuff!!

i was a little more interested in the actual content...but the uniform exposure in great definition like that is really interesting!

I think the Oilers silver look looked really cheap. not my favorite.

and how about that footage of the backyard football esque plays they were running????

so awesome!!!

I love the original Patriots helmet logo (without the numbers). Simple, clean, iconic. Hands-down the best they've ever worn.

I have to grudgingly agree. However, that original helmet makes me think of how much better it could have been if they made the whole helmet navy, then added a stripe all the way around that followed the profile of a tricorn hat -- deep horseshoes on the front and just behind center on each side, connected with a gently convex arc between each of the horseshoes. Would have had the potential to be as basic and iconic as the Michigan Wolverines helmet.

Sounds like a concept. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Sounds like a concept. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Done. Not the best concept ever, but I think if you look past the roughness of my technical execution, it's a solid notion for a helmet. Perhaps not really in the Michigan Wolverines class, but not too far off the Rams in the class of helmets that use the whole helmet as a canvass, rather than just sticking a logo on the side.

20082614447.png

Great Screenshots!

Maybe the NFL and Reebok will keep this AFL Legacy line going for years to come.

Not just the Jerseys...but the T-shirts, sweatshirts, and jackets I see in some of those pics. Simple elegance.

That old Chargers logo with the goalposts, that's really cool. The BP logo for the Patriots. That old Raiders slanted font. Love it all.

Maybe a letter to Reebok/NFL properties will help.

Again, great posts, pics!

• 1 year later...

Somehow, I'd never thought about coming here if I needed information about loans.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

A few more...though it does appear a couple in my prior post are from the early 70's due to what the referees are wearing...

Defense-Vntage-1-Oct-65.jpg

Did Denver have shadow numbers, or is it just the picture making it look that way?

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

It could be the picture, as I've never seen any merchandise or photos displaying the Broncos with shadow numbering. Although, back then it wasn't unusual for different positions to wear similar-looking, but completely different uniforms when it came to things like helmet logos, jersey striping, and even the jersey font and numerals in some cases (just look at the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl VIII). It could be that the player in question is guilty of this, but number 76's orange outline is somewhat blurry as well.

Archived