New York Yankees

Lights Out

yanks1.png

yanks2.png

yankshat1.png

Now, I realize all of the sticklers for tradition will loathe this, and rightfully so. The Yankees' current set is iconic, in both a good and bad way. The Yanks will probably never change, but I've actually never been a fan of the Yankees' set or logos. In my opinion, their boldest, sharpest identity was the first set of uniforms they ever wore - way back in 1903. I just love that ornate font and the huge initials across the front.

I did modernize it a bit, adding numbers to the front. I used the Pirates' number font here, but the Yankees would obviously have a custom number font. I used the Pirates' numbers to show which style of numbers I felt would work well with the concept. I also eliminated the collars. I did give one nod to tradition, adding pinstripes, because it's just not the Yankees without pinstripes.

The biggest changes are in the identity. Red is eliminated completely in favor of silver. After all, the Yankees have hardly ever used red on their uniforms. The interlocking NY logo is jettisoned in favor of the bat-with-hat from the primary logo. My reasoning for this is that the interlocking NY just doesn't work with the non-connected NY on the front of the uniform. A silver bill is added to the cap for contrast.

So, go ahead and flame me. I'm planning on making this a series of MLB identity changes, so there'll be plenty more trashing of tradition on the way.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah I like it too. The hat seems off though. I think the NY logo would be better. The shirts are very traditional, vintage, throwback - whatever you want to call it - but then the hat seems like a new minor league team.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think you're close to perfection on those uniforms. I'd drop the numbers on the chest, I'm getting too much of a soccer vibe from it. The pirate number font isn't cutting it either, I'd try Dirty Sox, along with the lettering. Maybe tone the blue to more of a navy/black color, and you'll have something here.

-Navy darkened.

-Front numbers removed, number font changed. I didn't use the Dirty Sox font because, after all, it's a Red Sox-inspired font. I did use the Red Sox' current numbers, but only because they aren't exclusive to the Red Sox; the White Sox also have used them as well, on throwbacks.

yanks3.png

yanks4.png

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of some of the Yankees fans on this board - what do you think about this radical change for them?

xLmjWVv.png

It's radical, and yet good. The one thing I'd like to see is the NY on the hat in grey instead. I like the old style of number you used instead of the Pirates number as many teams used it in the past. I do like the use of the 99 and am just wondering if you are saying that Manny is headed to NY next year?

-Navy darkened.

-Front numbers removed, number font changed. I didn't use the Dirty Sox font because, after all, it's a Red Sox-inspired font. I did use the Red Sox' current numbers, but only because they aren't exclusive to the Red Sox; the White Sox also have used them as well, on throwbacks.

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of some of the Yankees fans on this board - what do you think about this radical change for them?

Yankees have used the Red Sox number font in past (up until the 60s I believe):

201039182923778.jpg

And if you remove the chest number, I'd like it a lot.

Anubis.png

And if you remove the chest number, I'd like it a lot.

I did remove the chest number in my second set, when I darkened the navy.

I may well be missing something but why wouldn't the jersey 'NY' font match that of the hat?

I figured that an interlocking "NY" in the jersey font would look way too much like the Mets' cap logo.

It's radical, and yet good. The one thing I'd like to see is the NY on the hat in grey instead. I like the old style of number you used instead of the Pirates number as many teams used it in the past. I do like the use of the 99 and am just wondering if you are saying that Manny is headed to NY next year?

Thanks! I'll try a grey hat later. As for using 99, I actually meant to use the number 97 which has been used on all of the templates on the main site, but I accidentally put two nines. Nothing about Manny joining the Yankees... I wouldn't even wish his immaturity on a divisional rival! :P

xLmjWVv.png

I've always thought there was something that looked odd about old jerseys that just had a single letter over each breast. It's not "bad", but it just looks too old-timey and goofy to be used today. What about keeping the front plain - just pinstripes (since that's what they're known for) and putting your "NY" on the left sleeve? I think that also has a throwbacky feel, while not having the goofiness of the two giant letters (of course that's just my opinion on the letters, I understand I may be in the minority.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nice progress. I think the Cap needs to be darker navy blue, and i wouldn't go with a 2 color hat. I would keep the brim the same color as the rest of the hat.

I wouldn't mind seeing a patch on the sleeve. Maybe this would be a better spot to incorporate the bat logo... maybe not... I really have no idea.

The numbers... i just keep thinking Red Sox, Red Sox, Red Sox... and its disturbing me.

Needless to say, I am really diggin' these.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

• 2 months later...

Wow, I shouldn't but I do like this. The only thing that gets me is basically what BBTV said, two huge letters on the front like that don't fit in with today's baseball uniforms. They look fine but moving it to the sleeve or shrinking the letters to fit on the right side of the jersey might look better, not sure. Fantastic overall.

Archived