San Jose Sharks

ScotM

So much like the Quebec Nordiques thread, I'm going to rebrand the San Jose Sharks logo. I've never been a fan of animals chomping through baseball bats or hockey sticks, so this one was due for a remake in my eyes.

Here's the primary logo to start with:

sharks%20secondary1.jpg

C & C welcome.

Ugh. It's flat and boring. If this was on the t-shirt of a 6th grader, then it'd be fine, but for a top-level professional franchise, it's bad.

Please don't sugar coat it, Please tell us how you really feel! :D

spacer.png

Ugh. It's flat and boring. If this was on the t-shirt of a 6th grader, then it'd be fine, but for a top-level professional franchise, it's bad.

Wanna refresh and re evaluate that statement?

I think it has tons of potential. It's just not there yet. It does have a generic look to it and I would suggest doing something to get away from the clip art look. Maybe add a third color to the shark? I'm not sure but that could be a start. I would add some text in there too. Maybe even some water.

The 'wave' pattern within the shark makes its body look concave.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

That would never meet the standards for logos in the following leagues

- NHL

- AHL

- ECHL

- CHL (WHL, OHL, QMJHL)

That could possibly work for

- KHL

- CJHL

I say the 'harshest' critisism makes the best feedback quality. This logo has a very local junior hockey type feel. It could never be branded majorly, it's just that bad. It seems very blocky and bland. The shape of the shark looks a little awkward, especially the teeth. The colours aren't bad.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

I agree, criticism is great and I welcome it, but I also disagree that it wouldn't work for hockey, given the ridiculously cartoon logos they have in the AHL (Houston Aeros: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/ahl/houston-aeros-2008-09.gif) and the CHL (Rimouski Oceanic: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/qmjhl/rimouski_oceanic_2005-06.gif).

I'm not deflecting, but think with a bit more work I can come up with something a lot stronger than the majority of amateur looking logos in the leagues you mentioned.

Not only are you right, but my son in the 3rd grade has that shirt. The problem with the logo is it has a painted look, the details are to fine and there it not enough contrast between the color shadings. Also I am not sold on any full body shark logo, in any league. I think shark logos look best when they are from the dorsal fin to the mouth. It would work ok as a secondary if you addressed the issues that myself and other suggest on here.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Overall, I think this would be a step back from where they are now, which I truly believe is one of the top overall identity in all prop sports.

Toning the colours down makes it duller.

And the logo itself is very clipart

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

The QMJHL is part of the CHL, last time I checked. They're both ugly, amateur logos.

Ugly? Well that's a matter of personal taste. Amateur, well they may not be as polished as some of the other hockey logos you'd find in say the NHL (although there are a few they have which I cant stand) but I wouldn't say they are amateur.

So lets look at the first part, ugly. Sure they may not be factually the most accurate depictions of the subject matter in question, they may even be considered a little cartoony, but for all they might lack in accuracy they make up for in character. You might not like them but both those examples have far more life and character about them than your shark logo has at present.

So that leaves amateur, well for all you think they might be they can achieve something that your current logo never will, production through embroidery. Which is pretty important for a sports logo but even more so for a hockey logo. How can they do that when yours cant? Simple neither of two logos you think are amateur use tints. Your logo uses about three colours, navy blue, teal and silver (plus white, I rarely count black and white when counting colours either or sometimes both are pretty much essential so I let them slide), and while thats fine you appear have used about three different tints of the teal. You cant tint with threads it's just not possible, tints can only be achieved by adding white, shades by adding black and you cant mix threads like you can ink (or on screen light) so your logo struggles on that front. If I'm mistaken and they are not tints or shades of the original teal colour then you have WAY to many colours in there to make it viable, and ALL of them are far to similar.

The logo you have in it's current form while removing everything you felt "cartoony" has also deprived the entire thing of any life and movement whatsoever. I'm not saying the shark needs to biting a hockey stick to achieve life, far from it there are loads of things you could do, but unfortunately what you've done isn't one of them. You need to find a way to inject a bit of excitement back into this make the shark look like it's turning or swimming, something, anything cos right now he looks like he's just been dropped there and its not working I'm afraid. You also need to look at being far bolder with your accent and shading colours right now everything is incredibly thin and scratchy and a lot of it is getting lost.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Both the Aeros and Rimouski Océanic are bad examples of what you are trying to achieve. The Aeros are not a shark at all. It is the nose of a WWII bomber. And Océanic is a ship with a mouth. I do not think either designer/design team of those logos were trying to create a shark logo, which is what you are trying to do. And face it, like it or not cartoon logo's sell. And that is the name of the game.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I scrapped the whole logo as a primary, (although it might end up as the secondary mark, with a bit more work) and decided to go start from scratch. Here's the new primary:

sharks%20primary1.jpg

I scrapped the whole logo as a primary, (although it might end up as the secondary mark, with a bit more work) and decided to go start from scratch. Here's the new primary:

sharks%20primary1.jpg

Now that's a huge step in the right direction. I still think there are to many colors going on though, I count 7 including the white. 9ersteve brings up good embroidery production points, you might want to cut it down to 4 colors and make the outlines more bold. I think you could also incorporate some sort of shaped background, like the triangle or another shape.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived