Gamblers>texans

jgiff17

The Gamblers were also a team in a failed league. Not the sort of history an expansion team wants to latch onto.

As opposed to the first version of the Dallas Texans?

The difference is that the Houston Texans don't throw back to or homage any other "Texans" pro football team. Their identity is entirely their own. You and others wanting the Gamblers back, however, would have them dressing like a failed team in a failed league.

How would another team calling themselves the Gamblers be "honoring" a team from a different league with the same name? Or is it only acceptable if it's another city besides Houston using the name Gamblers? Then it's ok?

I'm saying that nothing about the Houston Texans calls back to the old Dallas Texans. Different colour scheme. Different logo. It reuses the name, yes, but the identity is entirely new. If they used the Gamblers' name and old Gamblers logo? It would be a call-back to the old USFL team that failed. No one wants to be associated with failure.
And what would you say to new Gamblers colors and a different logo?
That's fine, but all suggestions to use the Gamblers name have come with "and the USFL logo and uniforms were really cool and those should come back too."

By the way, that "failure" of a team was the first pro football team to implement the "no huddle" offense prior to the 2:00 warning. The Gamblers and Jim Kelly were offensive pioneers, not failures.

They didn't fail? Then where are they?
How are the AFL Dallas Texans a success? A move, a nickname change, a merger with a rival league where your league ceases to exist?

The league failed...thanks to Donald Trump.

The league was failing before Donald Trump. No way it would of lasted too much longer.

I would say the AFL Texans were a success. Franchise is still around right? Whole reason the team moved was because the NFL installed the Cowboys in Dallas because of the Texans. Dallas wasn't big enough for two pro football teams.

Also, the AFL and all it's franchises was a success. The merger with the NFL wasn't a failure. The whole reason for the AFL coming about was because the current NFL owners wouldn't allow any expansion. So the owners who wanted NFL franchises created their own league and... hey, what do you know, all those franchises are now all thriving in the NFL. They got exactly what they wanted.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what would suck?

If the Texans, after a string of bad years (although they've barely had any good ones), decided to play up the Oilers nostalgia and add Columbia blue to make a cluster:censored: color palette. It would be the same half-assed blurry mess the Chargers have. That would be the same exact color set as their division rival Titans, but I think it would only happen if the Titans ever changed colors. I could totally see them doing something like that, but I hope they don't. I'm not nearly as big a fan of the Texans identity as many on here, but it's still securely in the upper half of football.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The AFL Dallas Texans won the 1962 AFL championship by beating the two-time league champion Houston Oilers in six quarters of football. There's some success for you.

Also, there was a Houston Texans in the World Football League. I went to a couple of their games as well (yup, I'm THAT old). The WFL Texans had a great logo.

FsQiF2W.png

The Gamblers were also a team in a failed league. Not the sort of history an expansion team wants to latch onto.

The difference is that the Houston Texans don't throw back to or homage any other "Texans" pro football team. Their identity is entirely their own. You and others wanting the Gamblers back, however, would have them dressing like a failed team in a failed league.

How would another team calling themselves the Gamblers be "honoring" a team from a different league with the same name? Or is it only acceptable if it's another city besides Houston using the name Gamblers? Then it's ok?

I'm saying that nothing about the Houston Texans calls back to the old Dallas Texans. Different colour scheme. Different logo. It reuses the name, yes, but the identity is entirely new. If they used the Gamblers' name and old Gamblers logo? It would be a call-back to the old USFL team that failed. No one wants to be associated with failure.
And what would you say to new Gamblers colors and a different logo?
That's fine, but all suggestions to use the Gamblers name have come with "and the USFL logo and uniforms were really cool and those should come back too."

By the way, that "failure" of a team was the first pro football team to implement the "no huddle" offense prior to the 2:00 warning. The Gamblers and Jim Kelly were offensive pioneers, not failures.

They didn't fail? Then where are they?
How are the AFL Dallas Texans a success? A move, a nickname change, a merger with a rival league where your league ceases to exist?

The league failed...thanks to Donald Trump.

The league was failing before Donald Trump. No way it would of lasted too much longer.

I would say the AFL Texans were a success. Franchise is still around right? Whole reason the team moved was because the NFL installed the Cowboys in Dallas because of the Texans. Dallas wasn't big enough for two pro football teams.

I guess we agree to disagree on "success" or "failure" of a team being forced to relocate because it can't compete against another team in the same town

Don't think I've ever heard that before - what's it from?

Ten-Gallon War: The NFL’s Cowboys, the AFL’s Texans, and the Feud for Dallas’s Pro Football Future by John Eisenburg

FsQiF2W.png

How about the raiders move to San Antonio and take the texans history or lack there of and the identity and Houston brings back the oilers....? Houston didn't get the same deal as Cleveland that why the oilers name went with bud. Houston was never supposed to get another franchise. Until LA flubbed it up without guaranteeing a new stadium we all thought it was just a pipe dream to actually get football back here. The wfl logo is cool and would be great modernized and used as a secondary logo for the texans. The secondary logo now is good in my opinion but a little lazy

How about the raiders move to San Antonio and take the texans history or lack there of and the identity and Houston brings back the oilers....? Houston didn't get the same deal as Cleveland that why the oilers name went with bud. Houston was never supposed to get another franchise. Until LA flubbed it up without guaranteeing a new stadium we all thought it was just a pipe dream to actually get football back here. The wfl logo is cool and would be great modernized and used as a secondary logo for the texans. The secondary logo now is good in my opinion but a little lazy

NoDrEvil.gif

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'll take that so long as Indianapolis and Baltimore swap teams so that the Colts can be back where they belong; St. Louis and Phoenix swap so the Cards can be back where they belong (then the Rams head to LA). Finally, The Jags can relocate to Oakland and take the Raiders name, making all right with the world.

FsQiF2W.png

I'll take that so long as Indianapolis and Baltimore swap teams so that the Colts can be back where they belong; St. Louis and Phoenix swap so the Cards can be back where they belong (then the Rams head to LA). Finally, The Jags can relocate to Oakland and take the Raiders name, making all right with the world.
Fraud protection?

Frog protection.

We're totally on the same page.

First off, putting a team in London would be a horrible idea IMO. I'm sure teams hate it enough as it is when traveling coast to coast. Think of the west coast teams. It would take them two days to get there! Plus a team in London would be going directly up against the most popular sport in the world right in the middle of it's season.

Adding 4 or 8 teams? Where are they going to find enough NFL quality stadiums for all those teams?

Seems like the NFL has always been against expansion unless some rival league shows a market is good enough or they want to bring a team back to a city which lost one a la Cleveland or Houston. Which they're trying to work LA in to the fold.

First priority for the NFL is always going to be LA. When they get a team maybe, MAYBE start looking outside the U.S. in Toronto or Mexico City. Which I feel are pipe dreams at best right now.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

the USFL was a success.

"In 1986, the USFL, having recently decided to compete directly with the NFL, filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the National Football League. The NFL was found to have violated anti-monopoly laws. However, in a victory in name only, the USFL was awarded a judgment of just $1, which under anti-trust laws, was tripled to $3."

Just not a profitable one.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Archived