Bad news in Designer Land

Ez Street

What is sublimation?

Sublimation is the newest and fanciest way of doing hockey jerseys. It involves taking a white jersey and dying the stripes (and in some cases - the logos and numbers) into the material.

I took that from bigstick.ca.

So when doing a sublimated jersey, you can still have a screen printed, twill or embroidered logo put on the jersey.

There might be a way to do a sublimated logo and to put it on a normal jersey (not sublimated) but I don't know how...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, huh now? You dye the logo...how does that work? What if it's an intricate logo, wouldn't it bleed or something?

Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it is, but that sounds interesting.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The best thing about sublimation is that the color is actually died in the fabric of the jersey via heat. So the can use templates for logos and a limited amount of ink so that the logos wouldn't bleed. I think the Dallas Stars use that technique for their shirts, but i'm not sure about their logo. Anyway, if you look closely at their jerseys, you will see that none of the colors bleed.

BTW, EZ, a domain name is never something that is lost, I'm sure you can find other uses for it... And since you're doing great work, I'd hold on to it!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

None of the NHL clubs, to my knowledge, use sublimated logos; they're all sewn onto the jerseys in one form or another, usually appliqué. But, yes, there are a few teams use sublimated detailing rather than sewn cloth pieces, which most teams still use. A lot of the alternates end up being sublimated, due to their complexity: Tampa Bay's old "storm" jerseys, the crazy Wild Wing and King jerseys from the mid-90s, the Bruins alt, the old Pens alt/road, Dallas's currents, the gradient for the Canucks' alternates (both current and past), and probably a few others.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I just don't see a team from BF, Saskatchewan calling me up and saying, hey design one for us guy. Who knows.

you just love poking the bear dontcha...lol...They wouldnt call you because I own this territory for one...lol..

but yeaH i gotta put a away the voodoo dolls, i didnt mean for this to happen... i kid i kid... you know i was happy for you rooster... and this just sucks.. but it will turn around

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

(No, I've never ordered jerseys before...  :D )

Then how do you know so much? :therock:;)

I think he was being sarcastic . . . hence the laughing smiley.

A certain Minnesota Aurora transaction comes to mind.

That'd be Truman State, old timer.  You did time in Kirksville?

I did a short stint there. I am as-of-yet degreeless, however.

I was the charter president of the rollerhockey club there, and thusly ordered our first set of jerseys in late 1994. I wasn't on the team, but I bought a jersey anyway. They were supposed to have been the Pittsburgh triangluar-shoulder style, but the shop (Fischer's of Florissant) screwed up and ordered the Isles' template instead.

My jersey's seen its better days, obviously:

Front

Back

I didn't really have anything to do with the design, mind you. The logo was done by a couple of art students, I just put it into Paint (back in the day) so that I could print it out and give it to the shop. The colours were the school's colours, of course.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

EZ..

Dont think this is the end by any means,and dont expect teams to never call you after this.If you really wanna try to do more of these I will give you some of my personal advice,and thats to go out and be a go-getter.Whenever you hear of new smaller leagues forming for ANY sport,or when you hear of a city named for expansion in various minir leagues,most of the time these organizations are starting from zero and any help or direction that they can get from all facets are welcome.....INCLUDING uniform and logo designs.This means more often than not they would much welcome someone inferring about uniform and logo designs and that is one less thing that they have to go out and try to take care of.It never hurts to find the new owner(S) and shoot an email or phone call to them asking,

all they can say is no.It's worked for me and it's also not worked for me,albeit with logo small teams,but still it's something I can put in my portfolio one day and say that I have done.Just my little input on this,but yes I'm very sorry to hear about the jersey deal falling through,but I know you will be back up with something greater soon. :grin:

98Falcons.png

(No, I've never ordered jerseys before... :D )

Then how do you know so much? :therock:;)

I think he was being sarcastic . . . hence the laughing smiley.

A certain Minnesota Aurora transaction comes to mind.

I was being sarcastic as well, that is why I put the winking smiley in there. I remember the Aurora jerseys, they turned out awesome!

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Congratulations on an awsome effort and off course your desinging career wont end here. Everyone gets a break once a while, you just have to take advantage of it when it comes. :)

I hope I am not stepping out of line, but can we see the jersey?

Doh!

Very nice EZ

I've hated that B's third for so long, and it just works perfectly in those colors for that team. It'll happen.

Advice if I may?? Lose the 'Topeka' when the spider appears on the front. It doesn't need it and not only that, but since they don't really have a specialty font for it, looks tacked on. Let the logo stand for something.

Otherwise, beauty.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Advice if I may?? Lose the 'Topeka' when the spider appears on the front. It doesn't need it and not only that, but since they don't really have a specialty font for it, looks tacked on. Let the logo stand for something.

Otherwise, beauty.

[iNG Direct guy] I couldn't have said it bettah myself. [/iNG Direct guy]

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I wouldn't focus just on sports imagery. Commercial design is where its at. This will help develop your art skills, as well as fuel your creativity. With sports being such a limited area, you''re not likely to make a living off of it.

Too bad they didn't go with your design. If you broaden your portfolio, someone will take notice. Then you will get a second chance, or third, fourth... ;)

Archived