NHL Expansion Hamilton Steelheads

JCRGraphix

Since the National Hockey League is the only of the big 4 leagues to not originate from the US, I think that any and all expansion should be back to the home of hockey: Canada. Hamilton, Ontario has been thrown around as a contender anytime expansion or movement talk comes up. I decided to design a team in Hamilton, the Steelheads. The name Steelheads represents Hamilton as a center of steel production and also it's location on Lake Ontario. Only after deciding on a name and starting on the design did I find that this identity had been used by a TV show, but my design is so much different, that it's all good!

I came up with a classic looking roundel-ish logo, featuring a big meaty steelhead. I used the old Hamilton Tigers logo as inspiration for the secondary logo. I had one color scheme I really really liked (Dark Forest Green, Orange, and Silver Green), but also tried it out on another couple of color schemes.

embroidered11.png

embroidered1.png

steelheads1_1.pngsteelheads1_2.png

Love this. I always thought Steelheads was a great name for a Hamilton franchise for the reasons you listed. Mississauga uses it for their OHL team, but it's definitely a big league caliber name. As for the color scheme, I'd go the top choice. For Canada being known for it's vast wilderness, no team really focuses on green as a color. The orange works as a reference to steel/rustiness. I like it.

Not sure if you intended it or not, but are the vertical stripes a nod to the Tigers as well? Steelheads don't have vertical stripes, but it works if it's a historical nod. Maybe try toning down the colors on the fish itself, maybe more of a realistic silvery/green, and try it without the orange stripes.

sig.png

The stripes represent the light being shone through the rippled surface of the water and it's also a nod to the tigers. Here's a nice artistic example of what I'm talking about. I'll try some new ideas in the morning. http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/2-steelhead-juan-jose-serra.jpg

Crimson, solver, black & white suits the design best to me.

The way the colours & stripes work together there are no jarring changes, nor does anything blend together too much--as the other colour schemes do

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

For starters, that fish is spectacularly rendered and the reflected light stripes, tipping the hat to the old tigers, is an ingenious touch. That being said, the hockey sticks seem tacked on unnecessary. If you removed them, you'd be left with the perfect logo IMO. To be clear I'm not saying that because I believe any logo with a hockey stick is bad, I just don't think they gel with the roundel.

As for the colour scheme, I think the crimson, black and silver suits the imagery the best. Great work all around!

Archived