USBL--St. Paul Loons Posted (24/24)

dsaline97

I've been following this since it's been started and I swear with each new team comes a new favorite set. This series is unreal, hopefully it continues on or I see more work from you as only a few more teams are to follow.

Thanks! Glad to see you've been enjoying it and following it all the way through. Hopefully I'll get this wrapped up before I leave for school, which is in a month. I'll have to speed things up a bit, but I think I'll be in good shape. Perhaps I'll even get into the minors (A-League, B-League, C-League) at some point...

spacer.png

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you get the name idea from Windsocks?

windsock.jpg2a353ebd-9ea1-41f5-9d40-6797

Technically yes:

Royce Flagg, the owner and founder of the Wind Sox, patented his windsock in the early 1900s, and its no secret that his invention and the team name are linked.

Royce invented the windsock years before it was invented in the real universe, and named the team after it. It was a marketing ploy at first, but the fans loved the name because it sounded classic and pertained to the Chicago area.

I debated a sock stripe that had that pattern, but it was a little overkill and I nixed it.

spacer.png

If you're already taking suggestions for minor league markets, for the California Grizzlies, do San Diego (if they're not getting an expansion team next year), Anaheim, and Riverside, in order from biggest market to smallest (even though they're all big)

I knew mentioning potential markets was a bad idea. I'm not taking suggestions, at least not for a long time. And I won't be giving minor league teams to cities as big as San Diego because this league prides itself in its collection of small markets, and I don't want the minor league teams to overshadow their parent club.

Anything on Chicago, or did I nail it?

spacer.png

Very nice, Chicago seems to have its own identity. There are the Captains and Loggers classics, and then there are Chicago's. If I saw Chicago's uniforms on a game on TV at their ballpark, I would think that I would be watching a game from the '30s in color. However, something strikes me on the home jersey. I think the "W" logo is just out of place there, but that's just my opinion.

Very nice, Chicago seems to have its own identity. There are the Captains and Loggers classics, and then there are Chicago's. If I saw Chicago's uniforms on a game on TV at their ballpark, I would think that I would be watching a game from the '30s in color. However, something strikes me on the home jersey. I think the "W" logo is just out of place there, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure I'd characterize the Loggers as classic, but I'm glad you like it. The Captains used to be in the same boat as Chicago and Pittsburgh, but their modern update separated themselves from the league in a lot of minds. What exactly do you mean by out of place? I'd compare them to the Cubs or Reds, with a touch White Sox thrown in there.

I fixed the logo sheet and decided to go with a blue outline on blue background:

AULEF6d.png

spacer.png

It's the "Sox" across the "W". It would look better, simpler, and more classic IMO if it was just the "W" in blue with an orange outline.

It's a two word nickname, so just a W wouldn't describe both parts of the name.

Go Suns! Are you using OOTP? That's a great game for anyone who is a baseball fan and willing to put some time in.

Yep, OOTP 16. It has worked really well and I'd definitely recommend it.

I'm a white sox die-hard. I might be biased but GO WIND SOX.

I love that alt sock logo, I wish my Sox could use something like that!

Glad you like them! It's good to see you guys picking your teams, that's been my goal.

spacer.png

Archived