MLB Rivalry Series: Pirates vs Phillies

Discrim

This is, barring insanity, gonna be the only set in the series featuring two teams from the same league. That they play in different divisions despite sharing a state, and thus only play each other a handful of times a year, also helped in my decision. It's kinda like a faux interleague home and home nowadays, now that I think about it.

Anyway, here go the Phillies

philliesrivalry.png

Maroon and powder blue...the cap has the Liberty Bell, and the road blues are basically the 70s roads with a modified version of the current P. The home set, meanwhile, I decided to make it a baseball version of the 70s Eagles, which is my reason for the extra wide pants stripe.

And now the Pirates

piratesrivalry.png

The home whites took inspiration from three different decades, even if it only looks like two. In 1913 and '14, the Pirates' jerseys had a P on either side of the uppermost button, something that hadn't been used before and hasn't been seen since...In 1940 and '41, the Bucs, rather than use Pirates, Pittsburgh, or P on their fronts, featured a pirate on the left chest...and from 1977 to 1979, another rare bird made its lone appearance on a big league uniform when the Pirates introduced two-colored pinstripes. Combine all that, and you have this set's home whites, though instead of the 40s/80s-early 90s pirate, I decided to go with the 70s smiling pirate.

The roads are gold vests with black pants, and the vests use pillbox stripes across the chest, over which I placed the 90s Pittsburgh script. Of course, both caps are a modified version of the 70s pillbox caps.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I've been out of town the past two days and was pleasantly surprised to return and find you had finished both these and the Cards/Royals set. Nice use of the cursive "Pittsburgh" script on the Pirates away set. That's something I don't see used too often in Buccos concepts. I've always loved the "John Wayne" Pirates logo and using it as a crest on the jersey is truly inspired.

By far my favorite of the bunch. Nice work.

Thank you, thank you

Really creative interpretations. Whimsical. Fun. Just like baseball should be. Love resurrecting the Pirates '67-'86 primary logo.

Thanks...I figured given that the Pirates brought their old logo back for the BP caps, I may as well do the same. I've been wanting to make a Bradenton Marauders concept for a few years now, I may base that off of the home here if I get around to it.

I would make the liberty bell smaller in the P so that it looks like more of a P/more like the current.

Yeh, I probably could've, but a dog stole my dice. Or i got lost on the road of limbo or something. I'm not all that inclined to redo it, tbh.

I've been out of town the past two days and was pleasantly surprised to return and find you had finished both these and the Cards/Royals set. Nice use of the cursive "Pittsburgh" script on the Pirates away set. That's something I don't see used too often in Buccos concepts. I've always loved the "John Wayne" Pirates logo and using it as a crest on the jersey is truly inspired.

I always liked that script, glad you like my use of it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived