MJHL Redesign (Updated: Winkler and Neepawa)

TrueNorth13

So with my latest project, I've decided to redesign the MJHL (Manitoba Junior Hockey League) For those who don't know, which will be most, the MJHL is a Junior A league in Canada apart of the CJHL for 16-20 year olds. My hometown team, the Steinbach Pistons, are apart of the league. I've been to many games, and have gotten to watch and see what kind of logos and uniforms these teams put on the ice. Some are great, classic and classy, and some are just plain ugly. This is why I've decided to redesign this league. I will post the complete redesign of each team, as well as the current logo, just to provide some background information, for the 95% of people who haven't heard of this league. I've seen a couple redesign on here, but not many. I have finished all the logos, but not the uniform set. So I will be releasing them one by one. This is probably the best option especially since there's only 11 teams in the league. I hope you enjoy this short series!

On to the first team, my hometown team, the Steinbach Pistons. In my opinion, they already had one of the best logos in the league, but it was too realistic. Their current logo makes it hard to put on any merchandise like shirts and hats, because of the level of detail on the pistons. So my goal was to simplify the logo. 

Current logo:

eNiwlUg.png

Redesign

BnBspFC.png

As i am a fan of the MJHL.. I have gone to a few games but not since for a while now due to full time work commitments.. but I like what ya did for the Steinbach Pistons logos and jerseys.. thumbs up...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

2 minutes ago, zg313 said:

I love the logo. Nice work. But I feel like the home and away jerseys could use a shoulder patch.

I understand what you mean. But I didn't add them for 2 reasons. Most MJHL teams don't wear shoulder patches. Like the Pistons have a championship patch on one of there jerseys where the shoulder patch goes. The other reason is I honestly just didn't feel like adding them haha. I feel it's not a necessary thing for a concept. But that's just my opinion. Especially since the shoulder patch would just be the alternate logo. 

Wow very very nice on both the logo and jerseys! I got asked to try out for Steinbach later this August and I would love to be wearing those jerseys lol. Im excited to see what you do with the Wayway Wolverines. 

VWSqUJp.png9GfZbEP.pngPFHWZkI.png

Wow. I am super excited for this. That Pistons logo is exactly what they should be using. Many teams in the league could use a redesign. I have watched every team play this past season and I can only say that a couple look great on the ice. Excited to see what you do for my hometown oil capitals!

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

Very nice! I think your sleeve numbers should be a bit bigger and you need to make the kerning more consistent in the lettering in the roundel, but those are really the only nitpicks I have. EDIT: And I agree most, if not all, of the jerseys could use shoulder patches.

The pistons are very nicely rendered, although be careful about the shadows/highlights and be sure they're suggesting a consistent light source. If the light causing the shadow on one piston were coming from, say, above and to the right, make sure that's reflected on the other piston as well. (I don't know if I'm explaining that very well. Let me know if you need clarification.)

On to the next team: the Winnipeg Falcons. 

Now, people won't recognize this as a current MJHL team, because technically it isn't. I decided to change the name of the Winnipeg Blues. I don't like when teams use names, logos, or uniforms from professional teams. It just doesn't show creativity on their part. In my opinion. So I decided to change the Blues name. I stayed with the history of Winnipeg hockey though. I brought back the Falcons name that existed way back in the day. The alternate uniform I created has the horizontal stripes from the Falcons Olympic team uniforms. I went a little crazy, or original, with the striping on the home and away. I love classic striping on uniforms, but I wanted something different. So I went with a wavy kind of stripe, which also looks like a W, at least to me it does. (W for Winnipeg) And seeing as it's a junior league, I feel like it's one league where more original/crazy striping patterns can fit well. I also pulled a Florida Panthers move and went with the Falcons name on the home and Winnipeg on the away. It's quite a change from what the Blues have now, so I thought I'd get the craziness over with first.

Current Logo:

rRBmifz.png

Redesign

jnH5hlg.png

Well, I was hoping for a little more C&C for my Winnipeg concept, but what can you do. Anyway, I managed to finish 2 more uniform sets. 

First up is the Winkler Flyers.

They previously wore uniforms very similar to the Philadelphia Flyers. And as I stated before, it's not my favourite thing when junior or minor league teams just reuse pro teams uniforms and names. I still decided to go with a pretty classic striping pattern though. The logo is very different from what they currently have as well. I wanted to get a new idea for the name Flyers. So I went with the literal sense of flyers, with a plane theme. Well, actually, just the propellers. But I thought it worked very well.

Current logo:

Vjziswk.png

Redesign:

YTcW5TF.png

The next team is the Neepawa Natives. This was an interesting one. Nowadays, it's pretty tough to design a logo that's not offensive for these kinds of names. Their current logo is a Blackhawks style head, thought not stealing the exact logo. I decided to keep the idea of feathers from the original logo, but more modernly designed feathers. For the uniforms, I love the Blackhawks uniforms. So I actually started with them but made some minor changes. Minor enough that you can still tell where the inspiration came from, but different enough to give Neepawa their own identity.

Current logo:

Rk4yIuI.png

Redesign:

4b61dgL.png

Really nice job on the designs so far, especially Steinbach's. 

I would like to see more white on the Falcons home jersey, since the dark blue on royal blue doesn't really work. You could probably switch around the arm and hem stripe colors, so that white is the predominant color on them. 

The Winkler Flyers main logo looks a little still for me. Maybe if you made it look like the propeller was spinning or get rid of the propeller entirely and put wings on each side of the W, then it would look a little more true to the team name, plus an ode to the old logo. I DO love the use of the propeller on the secondary logo! 

VHj90kn.png

Archived