Chicago Wolves unveil new alternate uniform

BJ Sands

I agree that the template is dreadful, but the use of neon green with the Chicago Wolves isn't that surprising.

The logo has always had green eyes. In fact I remember seeing a Wolves jersey many years ago (back when the IHL was still around) and I was surprised to see that the eyes on the crest appeared to be painted with some kind of day-glow green reflective paint. 

If anything, I'm surprised that it took this long for the Wolves to come out with a uniform that features neon green.

Electric green has become the safe "crazy" color.  Similar vibrant greens are used across sports by the Oil Kings, former NHL ASG uniforms, Sounders, Seahawks, Atlanta Hawks, and others that I'm probably forgetting.

If teams want to use a bright color, I'd like to see more cyans and magentas.  It needs to fit the team, though.  Bright green works for Seattle teams because they've somewhat embraced it as their thing, and it plays off the city colors.  The Diamondbacks new turquoise works because they play in the southwest.  This green doesn't work for the Wolves.

I'm just a bit at a loss. Like admiral I expect this team to be above this sort of branding. Even putting that aside though?

My high school's colours were red, grey, and white. So that's what our hockey team wore. One of my friends once suggested we get black and neon green alternates because it would look "sick." Even though those were not our colours, had never been our colours, and never would be our colours. It was just a "cool for the sake of cool" suggestion. We would have looked terrible in black and neon green because of that alone, and so do the Wolves.

It's also a bad template. It's just more of the same Reebok/CCM/Adidas templated garbage, slightly tweaked. The Edge rollout was nine, almost ten, years ago. Teams have moved past that and have gone back to more enduring looks. It's 2016, Wolves. You don't need to dress like this.

The colour scheme works well on its own, and I wouldn't mind it if the template was better. It just doesn't fit the team.

Archived