MLS 2020 Project (Chicago Update/Columbus Crew)

Asterix777

Hello all! Haven't been on the boards for a while but more time is free for me to do some designing so without further aideu -

MLS 2020 - A look into the future

Heres a few things to note before we get into it - 

Spoiler

1- MLS and UA announce a league wide uniform contract in autumn of 2019 - Spring of 2020 will feature all 24 teams introducing new uniforms by UA

2- MLS is still not a world power league - American soccer has grown and MLS is beginning to import prospects of a higher quality to Europe, but still remains a place for washed up vets to finish their careers.

3 - MLS Expansion took Place in 2017, and 2018 - Atlanta, Minnesota, L.A., and Miami all entered the league. 

Posts will come somewhat regularly, but i do have to be a student, so no guarantees.

Many Thanks, 

Asterix

colorado_jonas_sig_by_verasthebrujah-d9pt2sl.jpg.6a5f5d5469d9aee56cb75c7776d95240.jpg

9sa7mHv.gif

Team 1 - Atlanta United

The Uniforms - 

Spoiler

Home - I struggled with this one a lot, because i couldn't find a way to effectivley fit vertical stripes into the design. i took cues from Bournemouth and put a shoulder yoke that completed the sets. Empty back for uniform legibility.

Atlanta 2020 Home Kit.png

Road - Colors taken from the flag of Atlata - Band across the middle filled with herringbone pattern designed to symbolize rising of phoenix - an image commonly associated with Atlanta United

Atlanta 2020 Road Kit.png

About the Team

Spoiler

Atlanta United were the better of the two expansion teams in 2017, and after 3 years have yet to miss the playoffs after an extremely surprising playoff appearance in 2017. The problem with that is that their early success has inhibited them from acquiring talent. They're a talented, balanced team without a central superstar, and although they will likely make the playoffs, they're not a legitimate threat.

Featured Player is CB Jake Riverfield (CAN) - 25, second round pick in 2017, flies under the radar but a very solid and reliable CB. 

colorado_jonas_sig_by_verasthebrujah-d9pt2sl.jpg.6a5f5d5469d9aee56cb75c7776d95240.jpg

9sa7mHv.gif

On 10/21/2016 at 0:14 PM, kerlonmoura said:

Cool stuff, can't wait to see more!

On 10/21/2016 at 4:51 PM, ToffeeBlue said:

this looks like a good series, I am liking Atlanta a lot

Thanks for the Positive Words.

On 10/21/2016 at 2:42 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

First off never apologize for having a life outside concepts. We all do at some point so not a problem. Second PLEASE tell me the Quakes still exist. And finally (not going to post it just quoting it) on the Atlanta jerseys SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY 

On 10/21/2016 at 5:03 PM, New York's Greatest said:

Can't wait for NYCFC hope they won an MLS CUP

I'll go out and say that no MLS teams have relocated in this scenario. So yes, NYCFC and San Jose will be the same. 

Also, I'm currently in Austin for the Grand Prix (Come on, Max) and as such will not be posting this weekend. Chicago will be up on Monday.

9sa7mHv.gif

17 minutes ago, Asterix777 said:

Thanks for the Positive Words.

I'll go out and say that no MLS teams have relocated in this scenario. So yes, NYCFC and San Jose will be the same. 

Also, I'm currently in Austin for the Grand Prix (Come on, Max) and as such will not be posting this weekend. Chicago will be up on Monday.

I see we have an f1 fan. (Jokingly speaking on one part of this schpeel) Say hi to grojean and save me a program.

Right, Austin and the USGP was all great fun (although disappointing result) and i'm back to regular designer duties. Im going to try and post 2 teams every week, but i'm more focused on bringing quality as opposed to getting it out quickly

Anyways, Here's Chicago's Kits

Spoiler

Crest - not a huge change here, i just changed the grey in the logo to white just to lighten up the color scheme. 1024px-Chicago_Fire_Soccer_Club.png

Home Kit - I like what Chicago did with the band across the chest, but i made it blue and incorporated that as the primary design feature. The band is Navy, which i don't think Chicago accents enough, and it has sublimated stars from the Chicago flag under the sponsor. Clean, Traditional, Simple. 

Edit 10/31 - Changed Band on Front from Navy to White.  Chicago stars go from sublimated to Light Blue

Chicago 2020 Home Kit.png

Road Kit - Chicago Skyline kit. Not too much going on other than the skyline wrapping around the sleeves and socks. Chicago 2020 Road Kit.png

Third Kit - Navy and light blue is one of my favorite color combos, and the jersey features a sublimated wind pattern, cause, you know, windy city and all that stuff. (Edit 10/24 - Changed Shorts Logo, Added Wind Pattern to Socks)Chicago 2020 Third Kit.png 

Team Background (i know none of you read this but anyways)

Spoiler

Oh, Chicago. this team was the worst in MLS in 2017, and followed it by being worst in MLS in 2018. They made good draft picks with both #1 overall picks (Melvin Short, Jared Vanover) that looked like they were going to take Chicago into the promised land, until they left for Europe (Everton and Schakle). So Chicago is left in 2020 as a fringe playoff team with solid pieces but big holes. 

FP: Brandon Vincent - CB/FB - Vincent has made an all-star appearance every time he has played (He missed all of 2018 with a knee injury) He's versatile, athletic, and the anchor of this fire team. 

9sa7mHv.gif

46 minutes ago, XenonDesigns said:

I like how Chicago looks and the backstory is hilarious but I think you used the wrong logo on the shorts for the third kit? All three kits look amazing by the way. The detail on the road socks is awesome.

I get what you're saying, and to be honest i don't know if there's any unwritten rules regarding variance between Jersey and Shorts crests. i did, however, make the crest monochrome. 

9sa7mHv.gif

8 minutes ago, Asterix777 said:

I get what you're saying, and to be honest i don't know if there's any unwritten rules regarding variance between Jersey and Shorts crests. i did, however, make the crest monochrome. 

Yea it doesn't really make matter but it looks much better with the monochrome.

sigsgsg.png.dd2c63fee3388b4132af271cae3c34b5.png

19 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

I like the crest update for Fire. I never did get why there had to be grey there. The home and third kits look good too. I don't care much for the change jersey with the skyline. It's hard to make a skyline look good, I know.

51 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

I like Chicago's road. I actually think the skyline looks good.

Skylines are a personal favorite of mine, so it is present in some of the other designs, but i tried to differentiate between them. I'm incorporating some of my favorite design elements while trying to give each team a unique look. I'm glad you like (or dislike) them. 

9sa7mHv.gif

Just so you know, i'm planning on doing releases on Monday and Friday, mostly for two reasons

1: This gives me time to make sure what's putting out is acceptable (And i'm the dictionary definition of perfectionist)

2: It also gives me time to make any updates.

As it's Friday, time for a team very close to me. 

Colorado Rapids

Spoiler

Home - Little more traditionalist, with the horizontal hoops and all. however, if you look closer, the hoops have Colorado topography cut into them. 

Colorado 2020 Home Kit.png

Road - Monochromatic with a sublimated mountain pattern running down the shirt and socks. 

Colorado 2020 Road Kit.png

Background (with just a little bias)

Spoiler

After a run to the MLS cup final in 2017 and League Double (Shield/MLS Cup) in 2018, the Rapids produced one of the most shocking signings of the offseason in pouncing on Liverpool outcast Adam Lallana (Liverpool signed Julian Draxler.) Jermaine Jones was moved for draft picks, and The Rapids have assembled solid talent to surround their burgeoning MLS superstar (Lallana finished second in MVP voting last year.) They're arguably the best team in the MLS right now.

Columbus on Monday!

9sa7mHv.gif

Archived