The MLS 2017 Uniform (Re)Design project - All teams complete

hendocfc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much feedback for the last two so... straight to the city of Hollywood,the one that you're most likely not to know the actual name of,the Big Orange(thanks Wikipedia for that one),the home of the iconic Rainbow Bar and Grill and crappy 80's hair metal. Oh,and the Los Angeles Galaxy. Whose secondary kit you're not looking at now. Well,you're looking at my design for it. So,I've decided to break the "one light,one dark" kit rule again,going with a bit of a throwback look. The whole kit,from head to toe,is mainly gold,yellow,or however you want to call it,with the front panel (that's really how it's actually called!) being decorated by a green sash,based on their mid-2000s pre-Beckham rebrand look. The shirt also features subtle navy trimming on the shoulders and sponsor. The neck taping features the "This is LA" line while the back neck features the team's "GaLAxy" wordmark.  

PU9aKLo.png 

Up next: I'm looking California,but feeling Minnesota... (anyone who gets the reference is welcome to clarify it for the rest as well)

Dallas:  I like this a lot! I saw Chivas and a Brazilian team wearing a very similar design this year and wished someone in MLS picked up on it. It's a great look.

with Houston, I like the return of the space blue but not quite the execution. The yoke around the neck feels a touch dated to me.

LA Galaxy looks good too -- perhaps a little close to a direct update to the old designs. I don't have a constructive suggestion but I wonder if you could incorporate a little more from the modern brand too.

Up next: I'm looking California,but feeling Minnesota... (anyone who gets the reference is welcome to clarify it for the rest as well)

I'M FEELING OUTSHINED, OUTSHINED, OUTSH- erm.

Also, great concepts! DC's probably my favorite so far.

53Ocz8U.png

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Dallas:  I like this a lot! I saw Chivas and a Brazilian team wearing a very similar design this year and wished someone in MLS picked up on it. It's a great look.

with Houston, I like the return of the space blue but not quite the execution. The yoke around the neck feels a touch dated to me.

LA Galaxy looks good too -- perhaps a little close to a direct update to the old designs. I don't have a constructive suggestion but I wonder if you could incorporate a little more from the modern brand too.

The Brazilian team is Flamengo. It's actually their traditional change top design! The Houston yoke is part of one of the new Adidas templates; it does look a bit mid 2000s indeed.

LA Galaxy is meant to be a throwback; so yes,it's a bit of a direct update.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I'M FEELING OUTSHINED, OUTSHINED, OUTSH- erm.

Also, great concepts! DC's probably my favorite so far.

I mean... yes I'm a Brit whose favourite band is Soundgarden. I don't give a :censored: if you judge me for that. Lol (not directed at you specifically!) 

Thank you btw,DC was actually hard; I had a completely different kit done,but then I scrapped it. I might post it as an alternate when I'm done with all of them though,if anyone would like that. So,well,it's nice to read someone liking it.

Minnesota coming tomorrow... just want to ask do they have a sponsor?

---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---

Excuse me for the delay in Minnesota... it will be posted whenever I can confirm the MLS logo colours they are going to use.

---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---BUMP POST---

So,here we go; couldn't confirm the MLS logos but :censored: that,I'll post them any way.

Primary kit: Here I took two existing adidas kits and mashed them up; it's cleaner than it sounds. Those two kits are the current Bayern Munich change kit and the German 2002 change kit. I don't think I need to say much else. The back sign-off features a generic "Forever United" line because... well... I didn't know what else to put there. No neck tape since it didn't feature in the recently released Atlanta kit (which was far off my version,whoa!) 

MmnWO4x.png

Secondary kit: Remember how the "dual stripe" design used by Northern Ireland was actually used by Marseille in 14/15? Or how the Germans' World-cup winning atrocity of a shirt was recycled for Houston this season,among others? I chose Adidas' primary design for the 15/16 season,the grading stripes,as the one I would similarly recycle. Light blue and grey. No neck tape as well,same sign off... Here's the kit.

OSjqo6E.png

Chose Target as the sponsor for them being bit of a recognised brand name... 

Next Up: We go up north to Canada,to some French-speaking folk... 

Well according to their online shop their homes are grey... don't know if they'll switch them around for their MLS debut! Light blue/silver is quite unique if you ask me... 

So let's go to Quebec for today... I hereby present you my Montreal Impact secondary kit. The kit is inspired by the design of Adidas' Olympic gear,with the yoke being present only in the front panel and colored to mirror the home design. There's also a silver band outlining the yoke as a callback to the silver pinstripes in the home shirt. No,seriously! That's the actual reason I put it there! The inner neck taping is back and here features the cross from the flag of Quebec,whilst the back neck sign-off features the other feature of said flag; the fleur-de-whateverthe:censored: it's called,I'll call it "weird shape" if you don't mind me. That one is inside a blue silhouette of the club badge. Nothing more to say,let's present it!

*ba dum tss* 

*Adidas representative spews "technology" bullcrap*

*Impact representative spews "club pride" bullcrap*

*film score*

*flares*

JYhWe4S.png

Up next: Shipping up to Boston... or somewhere around there.

I like that a lot! The Inter stripes have so quickly become the most identifiably Montreal thing, nice to see them incorporated into an away while still being different enough from the home. I think the silver horizontal stripe between the two shirt sections isn't needed, and I wonder if this design might look better with the side-stripe template rather than the shoulder-stripe template. But these are small complaints, mostly I think this is a cool way of making a white away jersey pretty interesting looking.

Looking forward to your Revs attempt, their aways can be tough to make exciting.

(Does anyone know how I can resize this little :censored:?)

Here we go then,it's the turn of the Revolution. A Revolution that has,somehow though,managed to stay in 1996,using a logo that's so outdated Marty McFly would think he's still in the 80s. I liked the colour scheme that the 2015 change top employed though,so I decided to reuse it,switching things up a bit so the kit is mainly white. The front gahpic features an "X" graphic split to form a red chevron and a sublimated upside-down one,carrying over the Revolutionary War uniform theme from the 2016 home uniform,as a link between the two sets. You could say,in a way,that both shirts combined form one of those war uniforms.

I won't be surprised I get nightmares over the next few days involving this trainwreck of a logo... it was really,really hard to manage to properly use it in the uniform. I ended up with a not-so-creative solution; putting it on a circle. I even thought of doing a completely new logo,but I couldn't really bother. Anyway,the neck tape features "Est.1996" and the back neck sign-off the Revolutionary War flag of NE.

BM10Gzb.png

Up next: Another dual post... involving New York's red and blue.

Interesting! As a Revs fan I like the idea of using the New England flag as the basis for the away -- but the challenge is doing so without looking too much like New York or Chicago, two longtime rivals. I think your design does a good job of avoiding that trap while also being different enough from the current away. I think a big X is a weird design element when I've seen it before, but leaving the top part only as a bolder color makes it work better in my opinion.

The logo is of course impossibly bad, but I think the best course of action is just using the flag part only, white outline, no text, as the current away kit does. It is very awkward that way too, but such are our constraints. I wonder if MLS would ever allow the club to get away with using just the New England flag as a crest on the away -- it's not technically a secondary logo, so bad from a branding perspective, but the crayon flag is an extraordinary circumstance.

Sorry to double post but i just remembered this Revs jacket I have. I like the way it handles the terrible logo by making it one color, burying it in a busy roundel and giving the word mark a respectable font. Wouldn't mind seeing it on a Jersey absent a real rebrand.

IMG_8231.JPG

Archived