Olympic Rings Usage

smzimbabwe

I had thought the Olympic Rings logo was sacred, reading the logo rules implied to me that it was one of the world's most protected logos. Then, I see this logo for my favorite Austrian Bundesliga team and I'm wondering how they got permission for the rings logo. It seems to violate all the Olympic rules, but it's still used and good. I assume they got permission to use them (since the city has hosted the Olympics a couple times), but it struck me as strange that the Olympic rings logo was so prominently featured on a pro team's logo. Does anybody know why and if any other cities that have hosted have the rings in their pro teams logo?

fc-wacker-innsbruck-4.png

maybe because they're all white and not in the logo's colors?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Wacker Innsbruck invented the Olympic Rings logo in 1964, when Innsbruck hosted the Winter Games the first time. So it has indeed to do with Innsbruck hosting the Games. 1964 was also the year Wacker Innsbruck played in the first Austrian Division the first time.

Another interesting thing I found is that the unofficial precursor club of Wacker was named FC Olympia (1913-1914). But I think that has nothing to do with the rings, it's just imposing. 

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

On 12/31/2016 at 2:52 AM, Berlin Wall said:

I think Wacker Innsbruck invented the Olympic Rings logo in 1964, when Innsbruck hosted the Winter Games the first time. So it has indeed to do with Innsbruck hosting the Games. 1964 was also the year Wacker Innsbruck played in the first Austrian Division the first time.

Another interesting thing I found is that the unofficial precursor club of Wacker was named FC Olympia (1913-1914). But I think that has nothing to do with the rings, it's just imposing. 

The interlocking rings were designed back in the early 1900s.

Looks like the club is using the logo from the '64 Innsbruck games in its crest.

olympic-logo-innsbruck-1964-mitten-unite

gYH2mW9.png

On 1/1/2017 at 0:02 PM, EvilChameleon said:

The most egregious use of the Olympic rings is in the James Bond film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", where they are on the uniforms of the henchmen.

not Olympic Rings, but:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

GM was an official sponsor of the 1996 Olympics.  Buick is their luxury division.  Like any sponsor, they were allowed to use the rings, just like how you see the rings on Coke cans or how NBC will add the rings to their logo during Olympic years.

Archived