Falcon Logo (Updated 2/7)

H11K

So to go along with my re brand proposal to my high school, I am making a Falcon logo which is our mascot.

I have the general shape down to what I really like, but am struggling with all the little details. Included is 

the vectored shape, and the sketch of what I have so far! I could really use some advice on this.

Untitled-8.png

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

a2BRS8U.png

Couple of things here:

1. The overall shape is pretty good. Although, you might want to form more of a neck with the bird. 
  2. From the sketch you have, I can't tell what the animal is supposed to be. I would get that it's a bird, but it is very vague as far as what kind of bird it is.
    1. Some ways to fix this are:
    2. Make the beak its own individual shape. 
    3. The part on the top towards the front where it is jagged should be the beak shape.
    4. Then after that, move the eye to just behind the beak towards the top of the head
    5. Focus on these things and then add the details later
  3. I know that this is a lot coming at you, but focus on fixing the beak and eye and then get to the details

You have a good start here, just gotta keep developing it.

spacer.png

My advice would be this:

1. Get a couple of good reference photos to pull from
  2. Draw out the falcon in a near realistic way
  3. Augment the shapes, outlines, and shadows until you have something that has your desired amount of abstraction and realism

It is important to know what the shapes look like in actuallity before you try to change them. That way you know how far you're deviating away from the recognizable shape.

Definitely keep DRAWING. This skill will get you farther faster.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Great start... but I second all of the above recommendations. I went thru the HS Falcon design process 4 years ago, and it took 2 years to finally get it where they wanted it. 

Do multiple looks... side, 3/4, head on, full body... and you will stumble on the money one.

Look at several Falcon logos, and get ref points, as well as photos. It will make things easier, and you have something to base off of that you can reference to the school.

Looking forward to your progress!

And listen to the folks on here... try aht each says and figure out what works. Multiple sets of eyes is HUGE!

Okay, So sorta of a complete update here, got some pictures for reference and updated the shape, kept the main idea,

but changed it for the better i think. I worked on the beak and eye as well.

Heres the update, as well as the reference pic I used.

(DetailsI want to get better at but for now they're just a place holder until i can nail it.)

Artboard 1.png

Sooty-falcon-head-detail.jpg

a2BRS8U.png

Update #2 to the most recent one. Still working out the shapes but I think Im getting a little closer to what I want. Going to to try and detail the beak a little more as well.

Artboard 1.png

a2BRS8U.png

I think the shapes on the bottom are off. I think your cuts are too deep and it makes for a awkward shape. That's the biggest issue for me. Not really feeling the eye either, it needs a real pupil. I like the shape of the head and beak a lot though. Also, to give the logo some depth, maybe play with some shading/highlights along the top of the head.

OK, so I'm not a designer, so I can't get into the technical aspect, but as a fan, I would totally get behind this logo.

It's original and unique and looks professional enough.

Great work.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

16 hours ago, Frenchie said:

OK, so I'm not a designer, so I can't get into the technical aspect, but as a fan, I would totally get behind this logo.

It's original and unique and looks professional enough.

Great work.

Preciate that ^_^

Heres a simple update. Tried my best to unify the stroke size within the body elements.

Artboard 1.png

a2BRS8U.png

2 hours ago, H11K said:

Preciate that ^_^

Heres a simple update. Tried my best to unify the stroke size within the body elements.

Artboard 1.png

I don't really get a "raptor" feel from this. With a feather crest it could make a cardinal. The refence you chose could work out great for the look you're going for, just look closely, observe what makes a falcon look different from a cardinal, a hawk, an eagle. When you find those traits then highlight or exaggerate them.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

3 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

I don't really get a "raptor" feel from this. With a feather crest it could make a cardinal. The refence you chose could work out great for the look you're going for, just look closely, observe what makes a falcon look different from a cardinal, a hawk, an eagle. When you find those traits then highlight or exaggerate them.

So I'm gonna go back to the drawing board, and keep the current as a back up. I do agree with you though on the cardinal aspect, can totally see it. I'm really loving the feedback though, I haven't tried my hand at a logo like this so it's really helping out I appreciate it from everyone! 

a2BRS8U.png

20 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

It is a very good logo. To critique I would say that the head is a little to big compared to the size of the face. And I think stretching the logo horizontally might make it look more better

Stretched it horizontally a bit, as well as added a few basic detail shapes.

Untitled-1.png

a2BRS8U.png

Good progress so far, but I actually think the outer shape of your original sketch had more motion and more uniqueness.

I also agree with Hettinger's comments that it doesn't look like a falcon or any bird of prey. If you're going for accuracy, the beak should angle downwards to a point like the photo.

EDIT: The last update stretched horizontally is a step in the right direction if you just fix that beak.

Archived