P.I.L.L.

It's looking better! Have you tried similar shadow effects with the letters too? Perhaps that would add overall consistency, in particular now because with the grey ball outline (which is a plus) the three objects act more like one object to the eye. Or maybe try removing the shadow on the ball to see how it all looks together. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only one suggestion: lose the seams that overlap the ball's outline. Consider extending the fills of the letters over those parts instead if necessary.  I just think that the outline of the ball should contain the whole ball, seams included. Once that's addressed, I think you can call this one done, and well earned.

No offense...just not feeling it, though the ball-stitching over the letters is pretty clever. But that's all you have, really. 

Feels like a generic hat at a shop that isn't authorized to sell Nats gear.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:45 AM, WSU151 said:

No offense...just not feeling it, though the ball-stitching over the letters is pretty clever. But that's all you have, really. 

Feels like a generic hat at a shop that isn't authorized to sell Nats gear.

none taken... i agree. That's why I've been going back and forth with the stitch styles and font adjustments, truly believing in the IDEA - 

Here's another shot at the original custom stitches made tighter and thinner vs. ball.  Meshes / fits the letter form more now, compared to the realistic looking or clipart looking stitching.

DC Baseball 110418 cj

22 hours ago, P.I.L.L. said:

none taken... i agree. That's why I've been going back and forth with the stitch styles and font adjustments, truly believing in the IDEA - 

Here's another shot at the original custom stitches made tighter and thinner vs. ball.  Meshes / fits the letter form more now, compared to the realistic looking or clipart looking stitching.

DC Baseball 110418 cj

This is the best version yet. You could really call the design itself finished. However, I think I might see why the concept feels "generic" despite the clever idea. The finished logo needs some sort of context other than just "DC baseball". When a logo is designed, its job is to present or hype the team or organization it stands for. It "brands" the team and its identity. Someone needs to wear the hat, after all. However, at this point this logo isn't presenting a team, it is simply presenting itself.

All you have to do is find a home for it. My first thought would be as a basis for team hats for the annual Congressional Baseball game. Whether its that or something else, you need to get a story behind the logo to elicit some sentiment beyond "cool design idea" and have the logo tell a story about something other than itself. Find that home and its a winner.

4 hours ago, ltravisjr said:

This is the best version yet. You could really call the design itself finished. However, I think I might see why the concept feels "generic" despite the clever idea. The finished logo needs some sort of context other than just "DC baseball". When a logo is designed, its job is to present or hype the team or organization it stands for. It "brands" the team and its identity. Someone needs to wear the hat, after all. However, at this point this logo isn't presenting a team, it is simply presenting itself.

All you have to do is find a home for it. My first thought would be as a basis for team hats for the annual Congressional Baseball game. Whether its that or something else, you need to get a story behind the logo to elicit some sentiment beyond "cool design idea" and have the logo tell a story about something other than itself. Find that home and its a winner.

DC Baseball 110618 cj3

Celebrating Freedom and Baseball in our National Capital, 

Washington - DC BASEBALL Logos ... 

On 11/5/2018 at 10:40 AM, ltravisjr said:

DC Baseball 111318

Ok looks good, but by "a home" I don't just mean a theme. You nailed that. I hear patriotism loud and clear. What I need is the situation. "Celebrating baseball and freedom in our nations capitol." Ok, that's cool. Now how? With a baseball logo? Ok then, going with that, a baseball logo is for a baseball team, so... who is the team? Maybe an unaffilated minor league team called DC Patriots? A rebranded Washington Nationals? A special celebrity team called the "DC Eagles" that tours in 2039 celebrating baseball's bicentennial? See what I mean? You have done the hard work. Now just put it on a team so we an imagine it in play.

Archived