49ers may leave in 2008?

Puckguy14

With one of the oldest stadiums (not refurbished) in the NFL, suddenly, the 49ers dumb**** owners suddenly realize they want something done for 44 year old Candlestick Park. In this article from SFGate.com, word is that the owners of the 49ers (who make Al Davis look good, no offense Raider fans, at least your owner cares about football) may leave in 2008 when the lease expires.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...&type=printable

Let me remind you all, a $100 million bond was passed in 1997 to build a new stadium for the 49ers adjacent to Candlestick. Because of problems with ownership and environmental activists (part of SF Bay would be filled in to make room for more parking) and the ownership not wanting to flip the bill for any of it, the stadium issue is non-existant. To quote the 49ers spokesperson Sam Singer, "the ownership is looking for a financially feasable stadium." Translation: build us a stadium with your money or we leave for LA where Tagliabue wants a team. The proposed stadium was to be finished in 1999, for Super Bowl XXXIII, but was moved to 2002 because of problems. In 1999, Super Bowl XXXIII was moved to Miami, and 2002 SB XXXVI was played in New Orleans. Also the team was hoping for the US Olympic Comittee to grant their bid city to be San Francisco to get money from California to build a stadium which would eventually hold football in SF and try to get the Earthquakes to SF.

If you've been to Candlestick, you know why I'm upset about this. But for a team that has won so much in the last 25 years, San Francisco 49ers fans deserve a better facility.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Your guess is as good as mine. It's like every California team wants to go to LA if they don't get a new stadium. Of course, Al Davis says he owns the LA market. So then again, maybe not. But with the East Bay the Raiders territory, the 49ers would have to find something near SF or the Penninsula if they were to stay within the Bay Area.

It would make more sense to move them to Sacramento and rename them the Sacramento 49ers.

The California Gold Rush began 35 miles (as the crow flies) northeast of Sacramento in Coloma when James Marshall found a pea-shaped dollop of gold in a sawmill ditch on January 24, 1848.

Of course, I'd rather that the 49ers stay in San Francisco... but if they don't, why not be closer to historical reality? :lol:

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The one BIG sticking point is that the 49ers play in California, so it can't ask the state government to help pay for a new stadium for example Seattle, Denver, etc. where you have one team in the state.

St. Louis doesn't want the football Cardinals back.

Especially not the Bidwells.

Look, in Los Angeles, footballs are round.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The 49'ers have been looking for a replacement for Windlestick since the late 80's. If Eddie D. still owned 'em, it would've been a done deal by now, but sadly, his brother-in-law's in charge, so they're potentially leaving...

The NFL would have to approve a move to LA (a right it won in the court case against Davis) for any team, and while the 49'ers technically have as much right to move there as any other club, they probably would be beaten out by an Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings or New Orleans Saints application to move there.

nav-logo.png

The NFL would have to approve a move to LA (a right it won in the court case against Davis) for any team, and while the 49'ers technically have as much right to move there as any other club, they probably would be beaten out by an Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings or New Orleans Saints application to move there.

I thought the NFL lost that right, which allowed Davis to move the Raiders to LA.

Why does everyone want to lumb the Saints into a move to LA. The team has a dedicated owner, one that has ties to the city. The city is currently studying a new stadium, which will most likely be built. I know that the team is in a small market, but it is a strong football community. Indy tops my list for the move. I don't think the Saints will be going anywhere anytime soon. Of course it is a business and I could be wrong.

And let us not forget the ever-popular Indianapolis Colts to La-La Land rumors flying around because the Irsays want a new stadium and Baltimorians are still P!$$ed off about the Mayflowers contracting in the middle of the night.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived