Walleye Logo Concept

Section30

If any of you have been following my American Premier League series you would have seen that Minnesota's identity is heavily walleye influenced and I wanted to make a walleye logo for the team that was modern and similar to the less cartoony Toledo Walleye logo. I couldn't get it to work on a soccer crest but I thought I could post it out here to see if there was anything I could do to improve it at all. (I'm not very familiar with doing fish designs so any CC would be very helpful). Also, thanks to @hettinger_rl for helping and giving some advise.

Here it it in the colors from my concept league.

KYo24nz.png

And here it is in the colors of the Toledo Waleye

sdoWJlT.png

I would round that off a little bit more. Also maybe edit/simplify the face/head area. It's taking a lot of attention away from the rest of the logo, and it looks a little awkward too. The only other edit I might make is making the tail a little smaller, that way it's clear that it's flipped behind.

tinysig.jpg

17 minutes ago, Jake3.roo said:

I would round that off a little bit more. Also maybe edit/simplify the face/head area. It's talking a lot of attention away from the rest of the logo, and it looks a little awkward too. The only other edit I might make is making the tail a little smaller, that way it's clear that it's flipped behind.

How's this?

bOWGTXa.pngMr9AIz4.png

1 hour ago, Section30 said:

How's this?

bOWGTXa.pngMr9AIz4.png

beautiful. It flows nicely, it has a good line weight (though a touch on the heavy side, but I nitpick) and great balance. Very well done.

tinysig.jpg

Capturing the torquing motion of a fish can be difficult but you’ve done it nicely. I had no problems with the sharp angle in your first draft and the line width is not too thick in my book. The eye has this evil look too which I like. The only thing I’d change is the way the far blue fin touches the tail fine.  I’d consider adding a gap so the depth doesn’t get confused. Also what if you rotated the whole fish upward as if it’s jumping? Great work.

1 hour ago, jaha32 said:

Capturing the torquing motion of a fish can be difficult but you’ve done it nicely. I had no problems with the sharp angle in your first draft and the line width is not too thick in my book. The eye has this evil look too which I like. The only thing I’d change is the way the far blue fin touches the tail fine.  I’d consider adding a gap so the depth doesn’t get confused. Also what if you rotated the whole fish upward as if it’s jumping? Great work.

Here it is with the back fin moved up a little

fg6moCn.png

And here it is tilted like if it was jumping

lH2hVzl.png

I personally prefer the original swimming position because walleye don't really jump like bass

i think i found your reference picture, and its a great illustration to use. i think your logo interpretation lacks a bit of motion and action. using that same illustration i did a quick sketch focusing on making that same dynamic form in only 2 colors (light and shadow). i think if you go back and start there, it will lead to better lines and a more iconic logo

u7vLpga.png

from there you can style it a bit more like your original if wanted/needed, adding in the key stroke, the colors, or building in some other highlights. which you did a great job of, i just think you need to revisit the foundation of it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 1 year later...

Archived