semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

no, you're not he only one. My brother was asking why they were lighting a giant doobie...i think it's suposed to be an oak leaf or something, symbolic to what was used in ancient times, but it just looks like a big joint.

maybe they want to appeal to the younger generation and drum up interest in the games

it was designed like that to go with the design of the stadium. santiago calatrava designed the stadium and the cauldron as well. but it does kinda look like it. personally i like it cause it fits so well with the stadium and the way they brought it down to be lit kicked some *ss

capt.olymos225108132234.greece_olympics_opening_ceremony_olymos2251.jpg

CAPTION: "A servant lights the giant's reefer, just prior to firing up the giant's dro."

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

From what I've read, it's a large, I mean very large, scale version if the torch, which is shaped like an olive leaf. I think it's supposed to symbolise some sort of connection between man and the Greek gods. At first I was wondering why it's shaped like that then I realised it looked like the torch. I thought it was simple yet effective.

So what's your favourite torch lighting?

I saw, I came, I left.

or does the Olympic Cauldron like like a Giant Marijuana Cigarette

capt.olymos225108132234.greece_olympics_opening_ceremony_olymos2251.jpg

I noticed that the second they lit it at 6PM last night.

Anyone know why CBC decided to air it live (as well as a tape delay later that evening) while NBC aired it only on tape delay?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Becuase NBC is stupid. I don't know why they they don't air live hen tape delay, and if it ended at 6 yesterday why not just air it live. Does anyone know why they aren't showing the games in hd. I heard that these were going to be mostly aired in hd also, but when I turn on NBChd all they are showing is the opening ceromony over and over again. They could put some of the live stuff in hd (along with regular).

That's what I'm saying! Talk about taking a big hit! :P

As for NBC, :cursing: WTF is with the high definition coverage? You delay the Opening Ceremony an hour and half so we can the 2002 Women's Figure Skating Competition and see the USA walk out in the WINTER OLYMPIC parade of nations. They talk about the Olympics in high def, yet they show the Olympics from 2 years ago and don't have live tape delay coverage with its low definition parter. If I have to see even more delayed coverage, then I'm going to have a big $#!t fit that idiot Dick Ebersol (the person in charge of NBC Olympics), who conviently gave Bob Costas and Katie Couric those bad jokes (and Ebersol wonders why they had Lorne Michaels take over Saturday Night Live from him.)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

That's what I'm saying! Talk about taking a big hit! :P

As for NBC, :cursing: WTF is with the high definition coverage? You delay the Opening Ceremony an hour and half so we can the 2002 Women's Figure Skating Competition and see the USA walk out in the WINTER OLYMPIC parade of nations. They talk about the Olympics in high def, yet they show the Olympics from 2 years ago and don't have live tape delay coverage with its low definition parter. If I have to see even more delayed coverage, then I'm going to have a big $#!t fit that idiot Dick Ebersol (the person in charge of NBC Olympics), who conviently gave Bob Costas and Katie Couric those bad jokes (and Ebersol wonders why they had Lorne Michaels take over Saturday Night Live from him.)

I agree, and they are still showing that on NBCHD, that and five minutes of shots from greece to the olympic theme over and over again.

Archived