NFL draft picks in new jerseys 2019

On 5/11/2019 at 2:21 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

It’s not. All this “jr”, “II”, “III”, “SR”, etc is garbage. It’s look at me “I’m special” garbage. You’re not Sr. unless Jr is in the league with you. Nobody cares that you’re named for your uncle or whatever and want to have “II” after your name. If you don’t sign checks with it then it shouldn’t be on your jersey (unless we’re going full XFL, which I’m totally fine with). 

Maybe numbers shouldn’t be out of circulation, but if they are, leave it that way. I’ll pray to every god that he dislocates an ankle during his first season, preferably in a game I’m watching.  

Dude what the :censored: is wrong with you? Serious question, how old are you? I mean...wow. That would be wrong if you were half his age, but I’m assuming you’re at least double his age. Regardless...what the actual :censored:? You’re really this bent out of shape over suffixes on a football jersey? Christ man, get your priorities straight.

The fact that BTV wasn’t automatically banned really puts a bad name on this forum. 

Just...wow. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

Yeah i realized that after a quick search... Maybe the Jets are self-conscious about their new uniforms?

That’s not it. The NFL and the trading card companies decide who attends the Rookie Premier event. The event is made up of mostly offensive skill players every year. You will get an occasional high profile defensive player (Nick Bosa) attending.    

2 minutes ago, TSHARE18 said:

That’s not it. The NFL and the trading card companies decide who attends the Rookie Premier event. The event is made up of mostly offensive skill players every year. You will get an occasional high profile defensive player (Nick Bosa) attending.    

Oh I see

This has instigated some discussion, mostly locally in Buffalo but somewhat nationwide. Thought I would bring it up here to get this communities reactions/opinion.

Not a 2019 Draft Pick and his new number, but a new free agent and his number.....

The Buffalo Bills have issued free agent signee RB Senorise Perry #32.

This number has not been given out by the Buffalo Bills since they traded OJ Simpson to the San Francisco 49ers after the 1977 Season.

sperry32_zpsslc7yxsl.png

OJ was the first Buffalo Bill ever enshrined in the NFL HOF and the first Buffalo Bill put up on the "Wall of Fame" at the Bills Stadium.

Although the Bills have not issued #32 since 1977, they never officially "retired" the number. Though they had plenty of time to between 1981 when he retired from the 49ers and 1994 when his personal life became a crap show.

The Bills have since retired #12 (Jim Kelly), #78 (Bruce Smith) and #34 (Thurman Thomas).

You guys may have heard of a small off the field "incident" that many attribute to Mr. Simpson. Though officially and legally he was acquitted of said offenses.

Despite what has happened in OJ's life outside of football the NFL has not removed him from the HOF and the Bills have not removed him from their WOF (though on the Bills Wall of Fame where his name used to sit in the "middle" very prominently, it has since been pushed to the "end of the line".

I am old enough (53) to remember actually watching OJ in his prime, 2003 yds rushing in 1973 etc. As a 7 - 12 year old he was without a doubt my favorite Buffalo Bill and well loved everywhere even outside of Buffalo.

When the murders happened, I remember hoping and praying that they had the wrong guy and he would be PROVEN innocent. Well we all know how it played out and I think we can all agree the word PROVEN doesn't fit.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial and the ongoing drama after the trial, I was always adamant that the on field accomplishments and the off the field behavior could be kept separate enough that he needn't be removed from the HOF or WOF. I certainly wouldn't expect (nor would I want) the Bills to ever feature him as a team ambassador like they currently do with Kelly, Thomas and many other retired players. It was also obvious that there would never be a ceremony to "officially" retire his number though unofficially they had removed it from circulation.

Now to today... I think it's mostly a clear divide. If your a local Buffalonian younger than mid 40's your thoughts are who cares he was a POS they shouldn't care about giving out #32, but if your around 50 years old or older, the initial reaction to the Bills giving out #32 is NO, that number is not supposed to be handed out ever again. I know when I heard that was my official gut reaction, but it didn't take long for me to get over how the 10 year old would feel and how it looks in 2019.

I'm sorry this is a long post, but I wanted to get this communities reaction AND I wanted to float what I have thought the Team should have done regarding the #32.

I feel like it should never be worn again, BUT the Bills should position it not that they are honoring OJ Simpson by not handing out #32, but that the #32 has such a stigma attached to it regarding the Buffalo Bills, that almost as if the number is cursed it's in the best interest of the Buffalo Bills to never issue this number again.

29 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

This has instigated some discussion, mostly locally in Buffalo but somewhat nationwide. Thought I would bring it up here to get this communities reactions/opinion.

Not a 2019 Draft Pick and his new number, but a new free agent and his number.....

The Buffalo Bills have issued free agent signee RB Senorise Perry #32.

This number has not been given out by the Buffalo Bills since they traded OJ Simpson to the San Francisco 49ers after the 1977 Season.

sperry32_zpsslc7yxsl.png

OJ was the first Buffalo Bill ever enshrined in the NFL HOF and the first Buffalo Bill put up on the "Wall of Fame" at the Bills Stadium.

Although the Bills have not issued #32 since 1977, they never officially "retired" the number. Though they had plenty of time to between 1981 when he retired from the 49ers and 1994 when his personal life became a crap show.

The Bills have since retired #12 (Jim Kelly), #78 (Bruce Smith) and #34 (Thurman Thomas).

You guys may have heard of a small off the field "incident" that many attribute to Mr. Simpson. Though officially and legally he was acquitted of said offenses.

Despite what has happened in OJ's life outside of football the NFL has not removed him from the HOF and the Bills have not removed him from their WOF (though on the Bills Wall of Fame where his name used to sit in the "middle" very prominently, it has since been pushed to the "end of the line".

I am old enough (53) to remember actually watching OJ in his prime, 2003 yds rushing in 1973 etc. As a 7 - 12 year old he was without a doubt my favorite Buffalo Bill and well loved everywhere even outside of Buffalo.

When the murders happened, I remember hoping and praying that they had the wrong guy and he would be PROVEN innocent. Well we all know how it played out and I think we can all agree the word PROVEN doesn't fit.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial and the ongoing drama after the trial, I was always adamant that the on field accomplishments and the off the field behavior could be kept separate enough that he needn't be removed from the HOF or WOF. I certainly wouldn't expect (nor would I want) the Bills to ever feature him as a team ambassador like they currently do with Kelly, Thomas and many other retired players. It was also obvious that there would never be a ceremony to "officially" retire his number though unofficially they had removed it from circulation.

Now to today... I think it's mostly a clear divide. If your a local Buffalonian younger than mid 40's your thoughts are who cares he was a POS they shouldn't care about giving out #32, but if your around 50 years old or older, the initial reaction to the Bills giving out #32 is NO, that number is not supposed to be handed out ever again. I know when I heard that was my official gut reaction, but it didn't take long for me to get over how the 10 year old would feel and how it looks in 2019.

I'm sorry this is a long post, but I wanted to get this communities reaction AND I wanted to float what I have thought the Team should have done regarding the #32.

I feel like it should never be worn again, BUT the Bills should position it not that they are honoring OJ Simpson by not handing out #32, but that the #32 has such a stigma attached to it regarding the Buffalo Bills, that almost as if the number is cursed it's in the best interest of the Buffalo Bills to never issue this number again.

I think by handing it out to someone who's expected to do well for the Bills, over time people will forget about the number's connotation to OJ. Most people that are under 40 only know him from his trials or as that guy that got beat up every time Leslie Nielsen screwed something up in the Naked Gun movies. If they didn't even announce it publicly and training camp was the first time it was revealed it could have had no reaction except from the older Bills fans who felt that shirt was sacred. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived