NFL draft picks in new jerseys 2019

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moss was incredible and I tend to agree that 84 should be reserved for only him but didn't he leave Minnesota the first time with some slightly bad blood?  Or am I misremembering. 

Anyways, that ship has already sailed.  Cordarrelle Patterson wore 84 (hot take: that number font doesn't get enough flak. It's pretty terrible)

Image result for cordarrelle patterson vikings

90758391980.gif

21 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Moss was incredible and I tend to agree that 84 should be reserved for only him but didn't he leave Minnesota the first time with some slightly bad blood?  Or am I misremembering. 

Anyways, that ship has already sailed.  Cordarrelle Patterson wore 84.

Yeah, not just Patterson, but this list of stellar name... Bucky Hodges, Michael Jenkins, and Aundrae Allison.

And I think Moss' second exit from the Vikings was worse than the first one.  But that being said, there seems to be little to no animosity left at this point.  Last year, when Randy was inducted into the ring of honor, it was pretty much nothing but a love fest, on the part of both the fans and the team.  Which also seemed to be genuinely returned from Moss.

I'm not sure I have a strong opinion about it one way or the other, but it's fairly common for a team to reissue a number and still retire it down the line, so I'm not sure the ship ever really sails in that way. For instance, I'm not positive, but I think they reissued Cris Carter's #80 not long after he left, but still retired it later.

For the record, here are the Vikings' six retired numbers;

Fran Tarkenton (10)

Mick Tingelhoff (53)

Jim Marshall (70)

Korey Stringer (77)

Cris Carter (80)

Alan Page (88)

If they added Moss' 84 to that list, I wouldn't complain, but if they don't, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Dwayne Haskins and Joe Theismann are “discussing” the possibility of Haskins wearing 7 for the Redskins. No word yet on the other draft picks in Washington.

EDIT: Just realized @DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said the same thing on the previous page. Always preread before finalizing, folks.

EDIT #2: Turns out, Theismann granted Haskins permission earlier today. It will be the first time a player has worn 7 for the Redskins since 1985.

16 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Dwayne Haskins and Joe Theismann are “discussing” the possibility of Haskins wearing 7 for the Redskins. No word yet on the other draft picks in Washington.

EDIT: Just realized @DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said the same thing on the previous page. Always preread before finalizing, folks.

EDIT #2: Turns out, Theismann granted Haskins permission earlier today. It will be the first time a player has worn 7 for the Redskins since 1985.

We’ll see, I have a feeling the Skins might still nix it, but now this allows Theismann to not look like the bad guy. History is all the Skins have at this point, I think they wanna keep all “retired” numbers for the illusion of success and mystique or whatever 

90758391980.gif

So I know this is for draft picks, but Rosen will be #3 (not really a surprise) in Miami. The top left edge of the number still bothers me and it looks bad because it doesn't match with the other edges of the number.

44 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

We’ll see, I have a feeling the Skins might still nix it, but now this allows Theismann to not look like the bad guy. History is all the Skins have at this point, I think they wanna keep all “retired” numbers for the illusion of success and mystique or whatever 

It's not much different from their loooooooong season ticket wait list right?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Colts draft picks initial numbers announced in a tweet via a gif on twitter. No pictures or caricatures of players to be seen here.

Some of these numbers are more notable for the recent busts that wore them as opposed to asking a legend to wear them. Rock Ya-Sin has Trent Richardson's old 34 and Parris Campbell has Dorsett's old number (although Inman did wear it last season).

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Vikings gave #84 to 2nd round pick Irv Smith, and some fans aren't too happy about it.  (Him getting that number, not the draft pick.)

spacer.png

Should have been retired by now, especially after they put him in their Ring Of Honor in 2017, but no point of getting mad about giving to Smith, a 2nd round pick, when since Moss left it's also been given to:

Aundrae Allison

Michael Jenkins

Cordarelle Patterson

Bucky Hodges

and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's been another preseason fodder guy or two whose worn it as well that I can't remember.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:18 PM, VikWings said:

Should have been retired by now, especially after they put him in their Ring Of Honor in 2017, but no point of getting mad about giving to Smith, a 2nd round pick, when since Moss left it's also been given to:

Aundrae Allison

Michael Jenkins

Cordarelle Patterson

Bucky Hodges

and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's been another preseason fodder guy or two whose worn it as well that I can't remember.

I dont know what the Vikings do for the ring of honor, but if they follow the way the Bucs do theirs you number isnt formally ritired unless you are in the HOF.  The only TB numbers retired are 55, 99, and 63.  Guys like Lynch, Doug Williams, Jimmie Giles, Mike Alstott, and Paul gruber havent had number retired, but no one has worn 40 since Alstott retired so its out of unofficial roatation i guess.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I dont know what the Vikings do for the ring of honor, but if they follow the way the Bucs do theirs you number isnt formally ritired unless you are in the HOF.  The only TB numbers retired are 55, 99, and 63.  Guys like Lynch, Doug Williams, Jimmie Giles, Mike Alstott, and Paul gruber havent had number retired, but no one has worn 40 since Alstott retired so its out of unofficial roatation i guess.

Jim Marshall's number is retired by them and he isn't in the HoF. Neither is Korey Stringer (different circumstances obviously)

And the Vikings have other HoFers besides Moss who's numbers aren't retired by the team, Carl Eller, Paul Krause, Randall McDaniel and John Randall to name a few. So there's no real criteria to who they pick to retire.

It's disrespectful to "ask" to wear a number that's out of circulation.  It really puts the player in a bad position.  If he says no, then he's an insecure-egotistical prick.  If he says yes, then he's handing back an honor - whether official or not - that the team bestowed upon him just for some rookie, and new fans will associate the number with someone else.

The team shouldn't even allow the conversation to be had.  I now hate this Haskins kid, but fortunately, since he plays for Washington he'll never win anything.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's disrespectful to "ask" to wear a number that's out of circulation.  It really puts the player in a bad position.  If he says no, then he's an insecure-egotistical prick.  If he says yes, then he's handing back an honor - whether official or not - that the team bestowed upon him just for some rookie, and new fans will associate the number with someone else.

The team shouldn't even allow the conversation to be had.  I now hate this Haskins kid, but fortunately, since he plays for Washington he'll never win anything.

Players have numbers that they think is their lucky talisman. They're entitled to ask just like big name players usually ask a player with their favorite number for it after they join a new team. If Theisman said no I'm sure Haskins would have been fine with whatever number he got. Some teams don't even officially have retired numbers but those jerseys still don't get handed out. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/28/2019 at 4:42 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Here's a few other modern-era examples.  I'm pretty sure it was mostly a preseason issue.

2946829989_1ff17af09c_o.png 2802524341_afd702ff3e_o.jpg 1995827924_071e77c515.jpg?v=0 1995921930_a55451b185_o.jpg

I believe the late Tony Elliott had the FNOB for a year or two when he played for the Saints in the mid 80s. Haven't been able to find proof.

Anyways, here's Clarence Weathers during his days with Cleveland:

pg2_g_cweathers_500.jpg

Joe Washington with the Bolts:

2845031764_783533d5cd_o.jpg

He also played for the Colts and Skins of course.

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Players have numbers that they think is their lucky talisman. They're entitled to ask just like big name players usually ask a player with their favorite number for it after they join a new team. If Theisman said no I'm sure Haskins would have been fine with whatever number he got. Some teams don't even officially have retired numbers but those jerseys still don't get handed out. 

More draftees than not have to take new numbers, either because of number rules or availability.  It's no big deal.  He's what - 21 years old?  Whether he thinks it matters or not, it doesn't.  

Theisman could not have said no.  Come on - what would people say if a guy was like "nope, sorry kid, I just don't think you're worthy of my number"?  Then, when the next kid asks, and he says "yes", then that opens the door to a million other questions.

It puts him in a bad spot, and shouldn't happen.  If Theisman himself offered it then that's totally fine, but if the kid was like "7 means so much to me, I wore it both years I played in college", then piss on him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

More draftees than not have to take new numbers, either because of number rules or availability.  It's no big deal.  He's what - 21 years old?  Whether he thinks it matters or not, it doesn't.  

Theisman could not have said no.  Come on - what would people say if a guy was like "nope, sorry kid, I just don't think you're worthy of my number"?  Then, when the next kid asks, and he says "yes", then that opens the door to a million other questions.

It puts him in a bad spot, and shouldn't happen.  If Theisman himself offered it then that's totally fine, but if the kid was like "7 means so much to me, I wore it both years I played in college", then piss on him.

It matters to him, and Theisman is fine with it so I'm not going to condemn a kid for asking. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

It matters to him, and Theisman is fine with it so I'm not going to condemn a kid for asking. 

That's your right.  MOD EDIT

Archived