Eight Names Trademarked for Future Charlotte MLS Team

SportsLogos.Net News

I really kinda like All Carolina FC. 

But, Charlotte Town FC isn't that bad either. I'm just glad we don't see another United team name.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

6 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

Monarchs seems to be the best option here. All Carolina sounds nice too, bearing some resemblance to the Greek club Panathenaikos, its name meaning "All-Athenian."

Monarchs is the name of the USL Championship club operated and affiliated with Real Salt Lake in Utah....might be an issue.

22 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I get how All Carolina is supposed to represent both Carolinas, but Im not a fan of it at all. If Im not mistaken thats how they wanted the Carolina Panthers to be representing the Carolinas for the NFL. Since @QueenCitySwarm is our resident Carolinian, you'd probably know this best but do they really market the Panthers in South Carolina or is it more of a Charlotte marketed team? I mean other than the inaugural season at Clemson and training camp in Spartanburg does SC really care for the Panthers? Kinda the same question with NC Triangle area.

Tepper has said previously that the team would be branded "Carolina", but both these names and the supporter group (Mint City Collective, a direct reference to Charlotte and Charlotte alone) point towards using Charlotte. I'd imagine the team is marketed towards the whole Carolinas area, but the branding will probably be Charlotte-exclusive.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Apparently, word on the street is that Charlotte Town FC is a front-runner to be selected as the team's name.

It would pay homage to the city's history, as Charlotte Town was the original name for the settlement. It has the ring of traditional English soccer club names like Huddersfield Town AFC, Ipswich Town FC, Luton Town FC, etc. As for those who would rather have the team adopt an identity that tied to the City of Charlotte's namesake royal and the municipality's "Queen City" nickname, it would still be possible for supporters to dub the team something like "The Monarchs".

We shall see.       

7 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Apparently, word on the street is that Charlotte Town FC is a front-runner to be selected as the team's name.

It would pay homage to the city's history, as Charlotte Town was the original name for the settlement. It has the ring of traditional English soccer club names like Huddersfield Town AFC, Ipswich Town FC, Luton Town FC, etc. As for those who would rather have the team adopt an identity that tied to the City of Charlotte's namesake royal and the municipality's "Queen City" nickname, it would still be possible for supporters to dub the team something like "The Monarchs".

We shall see.       

That's surprising to me. I'd been assuming since the beginning that they would go with a Carolina-based name to try to move towards a more regional identity, like the Panthers. Also, in my experience getting to know the area over the last few years, Charlotte in general has always been keen to position itself as a big-time, forward-looking city, and picking a name that evokes a quaint, pastoral English second-tier city/club really suggests the exact opposite of that. 

3 hours ago, Waffles said:

That's surprising to me. I'd been assuming since the beginning that they would go with a Carolina-based name to try to move towards a more regional identity, like the Panthers. Also, in my experience getting to know the area over the last few years, Charlotte in general has always been keen to position itself as a big-time, forward-looking city, and picking a name that evokes a quaint, pastoral English second-tier city/club really suggests the exact opposite of that. 

Well, as I said, that's just "word on the street". The team's identity could be unveiled and we could all be looking at Charlotte Fortune FC. 

On 12/13/2019 at 2:29 AM, Brian in Boston said:

We shall see.       

Very exciting! A name so distinctly related to Charlotte very much lends itself to excellent local branding, so here's hoping we get something good. 

On 12/13/2019 at 9:09 AM, Waffles said:

Tepper had said before that the team would be branded around "Carolina", so I'm really glad this doesn't seem to be the case. For me, Charlotte Town FC represents something that really feels local and historic, even if the team is literally brand new. Charlotte Town is such a classic-sounding name that it really appeals to the city's knack for preserving historic sites. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived