Throwback Comback

Was watching that very beautiful jersey match up last night between the Rangers and Canucks and my mom asked the question why are those Canucks jerseys so popular? My answer was nostalgia but I also thought that with TV broadcasts now being all in HD, all these bright 80's jerseys that they used to have, look far better and cleaner on high definition rather than standard definition. So I pose the question to people here, why are we seeing a throwback comeback with teams going back to their original designs? Is it because of nostalgia or HD, or a combination of both? Or is it something else completely?

It’s for nostalgia. Throwbacks aren’t some new fangled thing they have been around since the 90’s which also happens to coincide with the increase or merchandising in pro sports. If the designs were really that much better teams would go to them permanently rather than bringing them out A couple times each year to sell some more jerseys.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

If the designs were really that much better teams would go to them permanently rather than bringing them out A couple times each year to sell some more jerseys.

I don't think we can go that far.

There are many reasons why owners don't bring back old logos or uniforms.  Ego is an underappreciated one.  

Navy blue was about the only significant contribution the Spanos family made to the Chargers, so they refused to return to the fans' preferred light blue until every other bad decision forced their hand.  The Brewers' owner refused to adopt the classic logo until after his kids got to re-design it.

Sometimes, billionaires put gratifying their own egos above even money.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:01 PM, Gothamite said:

There are many reasons why owners don't bring back old logos or uniforms.  Ego is an underappreciated one.  

Navy blue was about the only significant contribution the Spanos family made to the Chargers, so they refused to return to the fans' preferred light blue until every other bad decision forced their hand.  The Brewers' owner refused to adopt the classic logo until after his kids got to re-design it.

Money forced the Glazers to do a throwback thing in Tampa.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:36 PM, kiwi_canadian said:

Was watching that very beautiful jersey match up last night between the Rangers and Canucks and my mom asked the question why are those Canucks jerseys so popular? My answer was nostalgia but I also thought that with TV broadcasts now being all in HD, all these bright 80's jerseys that they used to have, look far better and cleaner on high definition rather than standard definition. So I pose the question to people here, why are we seeing a throwback comeback with teams going back to their original designs? Is it because of nostalgia or HD, or a combination of both? Or is it something else completely?

I've been saying that for a few years now. Don't understand why teams use dark drab colors in a HD World.  LOVE the Flames awesome 80s Red Retro, it POPS on my HDTV. The Caps wonderful 80s Red Retro, again it POPS on my HDTV! Royal Blue POPS (Navy not so much)

My Pens finally went back to Pittsburgh Gold and it looks so much cleaner, it stands out better than the Vegas Gold (well on the RBK uniforms Vegas Gold looked very similar to Beige khaki  LOL)
Hockey and Baseball are my 2 favorite sports! Watching the Pirates wearing their 1979 Throwback (Gold jersey / Black pants), on a HDTV, my God that is just gorgeous!  

On 1/10/2020 at 2:01 PM, Gothamite said:

Ego is one of the many reasons howard baldwin changed the Pens logo to that POS pigeon / robo / hummingbird / Corporate logo. He KNEW (has said as much in interviews "They're going to kill me for changing the logo / uniforms) the fans weren't going to like it, yet he did it anyway

Good point.  As we're seeing with the Chicago Fire debacle.

During a wide-ranging interview with the Sun-Times, (owner Joe) Mansueto said the Fire expected a negative reaction to any change, especially from longtime fans. At the same time, Mansueto stressed that people who are neutral or more positive are less vocal, and he called for a “balanced look at the broader fan base.”

He also wants to give the new mark time and see how opinions flow during the season, but Mansueto didn’t rule out making a change if it receives negative feedback.

“I think when you see a new mark in context and with repetition, you need to really see that to properly evaluate it,” Mansueto said. “We need to give it time and hopefully associate it with positive memories, such as winning a championship. It’s hard to evaluate a mark right out of the gate. You need to see it in use. As a practical matter, we couldn’t change anything in the short term: merchandise, uniforms have long lead times. So the thought is, let’s gather feedback throughout the season, let people live with it a bit, see it in use. But our interests are totally aligned with our fan base. We want a great badge that’s fitting for a great club. Ultimately, if it’s not working, we’ll fix it. But we want something that works for our fans.

“I think you have to give it time to reach a conclusion. Since we can’t change anything in the short term anyway, let’s see how it goes throughout the season,” he added. “Does it grow on people? Does it not? If it’s not working, ultimately, we’ll fix it. Hopefully it does. People will see it in context and come to love it. If not, we’ll fix it. But we’ll do what’s right for our fan base. Our interests are totally aligned. We all want a great badge.”

On 1/15/2020 at 1:50 PM, Gothamite said:

We all want a great badge. 

Then why change??? All of that definitely sounds like the owner trying to cover his tracks. The people who are more positive about it are less vocal? That’s because it sucks! No one likes it...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

20 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Then why change??? All of that definitely sounds like the owner trying to cover his tracks. The people who are more positive about it are less vocal? That’s because it sucks! No one likes it...

Of course.  But it’s hard for a rich guy to admit that he might not quite have his finger on the pulse of the people in his community.  He knows better than they do, which is why he’s rich.

Few owners have the humility to say “I was wrong, we shouldn’t have done this.”  Especially when production timelines guarantee that they’re stuck with it for a couple years. Even the Portland Timbers only made minor tweaks to their despised badge after the initial backlash.

I expect he’s hoping they’ll become inured to it. Which is actually not a bad bet.  But if they don’t, he can make a change in a few years and become the hero, delivering the people what they want. 

Archived