TheMilkman

Hey there, everybody,

I'm new around here. I've always had a passion for sports and sports logos, specifically baseball, but I don't really know a whole lot about graphic design. I've had some free time to dabble in the redesign arena lately, however. Thanks to @rsaline's wonderfully easy to use template, I have been able to knock out quite a couple teams this past week or so. Now, it's my first time doing anything like this, so I obviously welcome critiques. I probably won't have time to go back to fix everything based off of suggestions right away, but I'll do my best. Right away, you'll notice I haven't done anything too crazy with the few teams I've finished so far, and I don't plan to do so. You'll also find that I rank the old MLB logos and jerseys over the current looks. You'll see an abundance of throwback logos, fonts, and colors. Anyway, without any further comments, let's get underway!

- Nate

1. Chicago Cubs

Home Uniform:

There's not a lot to change here. Classic look. Good look. Only change I made was the addition of the '79-'93 Cub logo on the left sleeve, replacing the current version of that logo. Originally I had more red in the socks and stirrups, but felt it took away from the primary color of blue.

ebqxCPA.png

Away Uniform:

This one's loosely based on their current away alternate (bc I LOVE that block font for some strange reason), but I also like the white in their current primary roads. The way I added that white was obviously in the sleeve striping. I thought it felt like an '80's look, but in my opinion, that was one of baseball's best eras in terms of jersey designs.

1Vrjcc6.png

Home Alternate Uniform:

This time I was going for an updated look with a kind of classic feel. The old 1908-1914 Cub in C logo is way underrated. Throwing that back into the mix would be amazing, I think. Obviously I updated the logo so that it would fit the current colors of the team. Making a home jersey for the Cubs w/o the pinstripe look was very weird. I let the red run a little wild in this one, but I think it fits the idea.

mzoGKUW.png

Away Alternate Uniform:

Lastly, we have the road alternate. This one was easier than the home alt. Kept the basic blue jersey and those great block letters. The 90's were a big inspiration for this look.

b31SHNu.png

Onto the next!

2. Philadelphia Phillies

Home Uniform:

I brought back that gorgeous maroon, ditching the blue almost entirely. I think the Phils' look has been one of the best in baseball for the last several years, but no other team is maroon. I wanted them to stand out a little bit. The font is slightly different than their current font, but of course, I left the pinstripes and the iconic numbers on the sleeve.

X6wm0ne.png

Away Uniform:

The away uniforms are basically a simple remodel of the current threads, just with updated color and script font.

IGLS0LE.png

Home Alternate Uniform:

Again, I took one of their existing jerseys and made it fit into the maroon color scheme. I tried to toss more blue into this one several times, but in the end, stuck with the maroon on cream.

9LfLhAH.png

Away Alternate Uniform:

Wanted so badly to do the red pants like we saw in the throwbacks last season, but I'm gonna try to stay traditional in this series (with the exception of a few powder blues later). This jersey's pretty much straight from the John Kruk days in Philly, but the maroon on gray is tough to beat.

EU6DH2d.png

Next up!

3. Cleveland Indians

Home Uniform:

I can't be the only one, but I hate the block "C" logo. This "C" from the 70's has so much greater life to it. That's the first change I made. The cursive font gives this jersey (along w/ the home and away alts) feel classy, while the red frontside number brings this jersey back to the 90's and the days of Major League. The piping on the sleeves are minimalistic in order to bring forth the font as well. All I was going for relating to this particular jersey was simple, no nonsense baseball jersey.

rmHAVfX.png

Away Uniform:

Without the cursive font, this one isn't quite as classy. In fact, it's even more of a nod to the Indians' look of the 90's. Again, just a plain, crisp look was what I was going for here. I think if I knew how to make my own fonts, I would have attempted to do a cursive font for the away uni, too.

HVeM9xf.png

Home Alternate Uniform:

Red, red, red. I've always loved the Indians' red look. Obviously, as I said w/ the Phils, I'm keeping things a tad more traditional than they did in the late 70s with the all red uniforms. The white pants work well with the red tops anyway though. The white on the numbers and collar piping, I felt, also helped this pop. Normally these red tops are paired w/ the red billed cap, but, as much as I like the red, that's too much in my opinion, and the navy blue makes for great contrast.

cL5Lt0W.png

Away Alternate Uniform:

The Indians' current navy blue tops look great on the grey pants, so all I did was make some minor changes, such as the font of course. I think that, with the white accents and numbers, these, too, would pop with white pants. Pretty basic uniform once again though.

2xA0fhd.png

Who's on deck?

4. Milwaukee Brewers

Home Uniform:

I've been going back and forth on the Brew Crew's new look. I wish they would have brought back old royal blue and yellow color scheme full time. I like that the ball in glove logo is back, but there's something about the script on the jersey that is just... not good. Something about it is too sharp or something. I can't place my finger on it. Anyway, I brought back a lot of the 70's-early 90's Brewers style back. The pinstripes come straight from 70's-80's unis, while the sleeve piping gives the design a type of updated look.

1ToMkqo.png

Away Uniform:

For these I went very simple, not even a stripe on the pants. The cursive font was an easy choice, and the yellow outline adds a pop to the otherwise kind of dull uniform. Oh, and the stripe on the socks/stirrups are made to match those of the Barrelman sleeve patch.

Sh8F4iv.png

Home Alternate Uniform 1:

For this alternate (the Brewers get two for some reason idk), I drew all my inspiration from the Milwaukee Bucks' "Cream City" unis. Upon completing these bad boys, they reminded me of the Mariners' throwback things (I guess that's what they're supposed to be), but that's alright bc I have a totally different idea for them. Hehehe.

K9KCSxs.png

Away Alternate Uniform:

Okay. I know I said traditional jerseys would be my focus, but you can't have the Brewers w/o the powder blue look. (Watch out bc my Rangers design has a set, too.) These are obviously not the real throwbacks, just a new rendition of the classic look. For this set, especially, I was happy with the pop of white that the Barrelman sleeve patch added to these eye catchers.

oUtmFwJ.png

Home Alternate Uniform 2:

These were an experiment. I know the yellow outline on the number wouldn't be enough to catch a player's number in real life, or especially on t.v., but it looked fun to me. I can see this set as a Spring Training uniform maybe, but definitely not a popular regular season option. Still fun though, in my humble opinion. Also felt the yellow bill was a nice touch, but you can disagree if you want.

ItJBXG2.png

Next!

This has been a nice series so far! That one year wonder "Indians" script is really nice and criminally underused so it's nice to see it show up here. I think the back numbers could use outlines throughout the whole Indians set. 

I like both Cubs alts a lot. One suggestion--for the road set, make the front numbers red with blue trim (or red with white trim) to contrast with the "CUBS" script.

Interesting choice to use a recolored version of the new BiG logo for the Brewers. Overall I like this Milwaukee set! Something seems off about the shade of powder blue for the road alt. It seems too "electric." 

Not sure if it's a mistake or not but the pinstripes on the Phillies home set are blue.  

Keep up the good work!

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

This has been a nice series so far! That one year wonder "Indians" script is really nice and criminally underused so it's nice to see it show up here. I think the back numbers could use outlines throughout the whole Indians set. 

I like both Cubs alts a lot. One suggestion--for the road set, make the front numbers red with blue trim (or red with white trim) to contrast with the "CUBS" script.

Interesting choice to use a recolored version of the new BiG logo for the Brewers. Overall I like this Milwaukee set! Something seems off about the shade of powder blue for the road alt. It seems too "electric." 

Not sure if it's a mistake or not but the pinstripes on the Phillies home set are blue.  

Keep up the good work!

I agree with all your suggestions. Here are the Cubs real quick w/ the updated front number. 

o4M4z6o.png

For the Phillies, I sort of liked the blue pinstripes. I see what you're saying though, since the blue isn't used in any of the other jerseys. I'll do a maroon version soon. 

I'll fix the blue on the Brewers away alts, too. I didn't even notice how off it was! lol

5. Chicago White Sox

Home Uniform:

My first choice in this redesign was to bring back the red. I then decided on an older "Sox" logo, trying to, again, give the uniform a classy feel. The pinstripes were an easy choice given the White Sox current jerseys, and the thick sleeve cuffs are there to pay homage to the old 80's striped uniforms.

ldfecOF.png

Away Uniform:

I wasn't gonna give these the pinstripe look originally. I've always hated pinstripes on grey roads, but something about these felt like it worked well. Used a classic "Chicago" font from the 1930's. 

2jxz717.png

Away Uniform(?):

Roads w/o pinstripes. Maybe a cleaner look. Can't decide. You tell me!

exsoYto.png

Home Alternate Uniform:

These are a fauxback kind of jersey. Just a vintage look for a classic team.

oFVTZxU.png

Away Alternate Uniform:

Completely inspired by the Chicago Bulls' black unis, though these do incorporate a tad more white. I think in this case, the pinstripes look alright limited to the pants.

gLzeTcM.png

Next up!

Again, nice work! I really like what you’ve done with the Sox. Once again, however, I wish the back numbers were consistent with the scripts, i.e. adding an outline to the road and alternate numbers. 

As for the updated Phillies—I don’t actually dislike the blue pinstripes, but in your initial post you said you “ditched blue almost entirety” so I figured the blue pins might be unintentional. 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, coco1997 said:

Again, nice work! I really like what you’ve done with the Sox. Once again, however, I wish the back numbers were consistent with the scripts, i.e. adding an outline to the road and alternate numbers. 

As for the updated Phillies—I don’t actually dislike the blue pinstripes, but in your initial post you said you “ditched blue almost entirety” so I figured the blue pins might be unintentional. 

Oh, I getcha now! lol I liked the blue pinstripes, too - didn't think it took away from the maroon, but I did debate over if it was too much blue to be included based on the lack of blue is the rest of the Phillies' set. That's why I said I "ditched blue almost entirely." 

I can make the outlined numbers for the Sox, too. I'll try to have that updated look out soon.

6. Texas Rangers:

Home Uniform:

I can't stand the Rangers' new look. I like the ideas, but they are each so poorly executed in my opinion. For one, they can't decide on a primary color. Secondly, they tried to mix two completely different fonts on the same uniforms, using a cursive font similar to the one I used, yet an updated version, for the team name, but sticking to their old (I don't even know how to describe it) Ranger-y font for the numbers and last name. Those two do not go together. Keep it simple Rangers. That's what I tried to do. I went with the original version of their current cursive font, introduced in 1984, and I kept their blue as the primary color. I also used their '82-'83 "TR" logo, which is something else they have updated and brought back for the coming season. It's not my favorite logo of theirs, but I wanted to incorporate it since it was included in the new look. Overall, another simple look/

x4NlIgP.png

Away Uniform:

The block letters get me again. Originally I left the "Rangers" cursive font on these, but decided I better put "Texas" on there. Just a typical away uni, red limited again.

JY29pbP.png

Home Alternate Uniform:

The home alts are simply the homes with a blue top. Red plays a bigger role here in order to contrast all the blue. Also the addition of the red bill. 

wFiLC7Y.png

Away Alternate Uniform:

What I hate most about the Rangers' new duds are those hideous powder blues that look almost nothing like the originals. The white script looks disgusting on the powder blue, especially with the red and blue details. In my opinion, you can call back the old look as long as it has some ties to the old look. These are just brand new powder blue uniforms, not throwbacks at all. And get that powder blue hat OUT OF HERE! (I have some strong opinions sometimes.) For mine, I looked at the Rangers' original powder blues. I kept it mostly identical with changes only in the font and hat logo.

9XThodP.png

Next up!

I like the jerseys you’ve got for the Rangers, but that cap logo has to change, in my opinion. The TR/Ball/State is just too much for a cap. It would work as a sleeve patch, but a simple T would work much better on the caps. 

58 minutes ago, jn8 said:

I like the jerseys you’ve got for the Rangers, but that cap logo has to change, in my opinion. The TR/Ball/State is just too much for a cap. It would work as a sleeve patch, but a simple T would work much better on the caps. 

I agree. The "TR" with  state outline and baseball is too busy for a primary cap logo. That aside, I love everything about this set! 

• 2 months later...

Archived