Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash

Pharos04

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, letsgomets1212 said:

Same thing here with Kobe. While his death is tragic and definitely far too soon, it doesn't mean people should be tripping over themselves to do things. What is Mark Cuban doing announcing such a ridiculous thing the day that Kobe dies? 

I always try to view these things through the lens of: would you do these things if the person was still alive? If Kobe had lived a long life and died of old age, would the Mavericks or any other team ever retire his number? Probably not, so why would you do it just because he died young? Would there be calls to change the logo to Kobe if this hadn't had happened? I don't recall many people pushing that idea prior to today.

People need to take time to let horrible events sink in and give the families the space they need to heal, and then down the line find appropriate ways to honor the dead. Jumping to do things before a funeral is even held comes off more as an act of self-interest or self-promotion rather than real respect.

On 1/29/2020 at 4:55 AM, Marlins93 said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I suppose people mourn and deal with grief in various ways, but kneejerk reactions seem increasingly commonplace these days. It's almost like no form of memorializing can be perceived as superfluous when the emotional wounds are still raw. I suspect that some people like Mark Cuban have good intentions but ultimately like being pat on the back for their gestures since social media makes them so visible. This decision definitely comes off as self-promoting to me.

Oh, it is absolutely self-promoting. 

And it seems in very poor taste, seizing on somebody else's tragedy with an attention-seeking, showy response.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

And it seems in very poor taste, seizing on somebody else's tragedy with an attention-seeking, showy response.

I don’t think what Cuban did is necessarily self promoting. Sure they could have not announced the retirement and just discontinued issuing it but I don’t think the announcement was in bad faith. Now people like embid asking someone to unretire his number so he can honor Kobe (how is he to respond if he says no everyone will call him a dick) will now have thousands of 24 embid jerseys sold, and same with trey young wearing 8. That is definitely self promoting they went out of their way to have these jerseys worn and the were promoted during and after the game that the wore it for Kobe ect. It’s basically the equivalent of the “45” Jordan jersey at that point. Now the people choosing to move away from the number I have no issues and don’t consider it self promoting to my knowledge they didn’t go out to promote that they did it for Kobe but the media put 2 and 2 together. 

46 minutes ago, dont care said:

I don’t think what Cuban did is necessarily self promoting.

He managed to get his name in the papers, his actions talked about on television, all associated with the biggest, highest-profile sports story in a while.

Very few things Cuban does are not self-promoting, and this is certainly true to form.

Kobe & Gianna Bryant to be Honoured on NBA All-Star Uniforms

January 31, 2020 - 20:23 PM

The National Basketball Association announced this afternoon that Kobe and Gianna Bryant will be honoured along with the seven other victims of the helicopter crash on all player uniforms at the upcoming 2020 NBA All-Star Game in Chicago. The game […]

Read More...

On 1/31/2020 at 12:00 PM, Gothamite said:

On 1/31/2020 at 12:15 PM, dont care said:

I don’t think what Cuban did is necessarily self promoting. Sure they could have not announced the retirement and just discontinued issuing it but I don’t think the announcement was in bad faith. Now people like embid asking someone to unretire his number so he can honor Kobe (how is he to respond if he says no everyone will call him a dick) will now have thousands of 24 embid jerseys sold, and same with trey young wearing 8. That is definitely self promoting they went out of their way to have these jerseys worn and the were promoted during and after the game that the wore it for Kobe ect. It’s basically the equivalent of the “45” Jordan jersey at that point. Now the people choosing to move away from the number I have no issues and don’t consider it self promoting to my knowledge they didn’t go out to promote that they did it for Kobe but the media put 2 and 2 together. 

There was an unintended consequence with his hasty decision...Mark Aguirre. 

Aguirre was the franchises first overall draft pick, played eight season with them and before the trade to DET was the team's leading scorer (and is 3rd now). 

He wore 24, but his number was not retired by the team at all.  Not by Don Carter, not by Ross Perot, Jr,, not by Cuban.

Yet there are three "original" Mavericks with retired jerseys: Derrick Carter Rolando Blackman, and even Brad F'n Davis!

Cuban may still feel salty since in 2013 Aguirre said he was the one who connected Cuban with Ross Perot, Jr.

23 hours ago, dfwabel said:

There was an unintended consequence with his hasty decision...Mark Aguirre. 

Aguirre was the franchises first overall draft pick, played eight season with them and before the trade to DET was the team's leading scorer (and is 3rd now). 

He wore 24, but his number was not retired by the team at all.  Not by Don Carter, not by Ross Perot, Jr,, not by Cuban.

Yet there are three "original" Mavericks with retired jerseys: Derrick Carter Rolando Blackman, and even Brad F'n Davis!

Cuban may still feel salty since in 2013 Aguirre said he was the one who connected Cuban with Ross Perot, Jr.

Aguirre said he only wore 24 as a tribute to Kobe, because he just "knew" what Joe 'Jellybean' Bryant's baby boy would eventually grow up to become.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived