officeglenn's Quasi-Reverse Retro Concepts

officeglenn

I was working on a new hockey jersey template, and decided to take it for a test drive and try to make an Islanders Reverse Retro concept. In the end, I don't think it quite fits the "reverse retro" brief, but I think it's pretty cool nonetheless. The lighthouse logo is recolored from the 90s fisherman alts, and the four stripes on the sleeves and hem come the patches the team had on their shoulders in the 2000s. Thoughts?

Β 

roVnT1D.png

You've got a solid design here, though I've got a couple ideas.

Β 

I think the recolored lighthouse logo would look cleaner without the outline and with blue waves instead of orange.

Β 

The upside-down V sleeve stripes are definitely a bit too steep. You could also flip them right-side up (and maybe add a shoulder yoke) as a semi-callback to the strange 2003 alt. Without those side-panels, it might be kinda nice!

Β 

Either way, it's nicer and more adventurous than what we got IRL!

14 hours ago, vtgco said:

I think the recolored lighthouse logo would look cleaner without the outline and with blue waves instead of orange.

Β 

The upside-down V sleeve stripes are definitely a bit too steep. You could also flip them right-side up (and maybe add a shoulder yoke) as a semi-callback to the strange 2003 alt. Without those side-panels, it might be kinda nice!

Β 

Took your advice on the lighthouse logo, and I agree that it looks cleaner this way. I also took the white outlines off the shoulder logos, for consistency.

Β 

As for the sleeves, I had a crazy thought that I wanted to try out. Since the shoulder patch from the 2000s was four diagonal stripes, why not have the stripes on this jersey go at a diagonal all the way down the sleeve? It's a bit like this ASG jersey from 2012, but times four. Just crazy enough to work?

Β 

Also added some thinner blue outlines on the numbers as another small callback to the 2000s jerseys.

Β 

Β 

iSoKPEX.png

It's a great concept; building on this idea:

it'd be cool to see white numbers,

Full blue jersey (torso and arms) but make your current four stripes white/orange/white orange. Kind of like a huge expansion of the 2000s patch, but with the better royal background.Β 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Β 

16 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It's a great concept; building on this idea:

it'd be cool to see white numbers,

Full blue jersey (torso and arms) but make your current four stripes white/orange/white orange. Kind of like a huge expansion of the 2000s patch, but with the better royal background.Β 

Β 

Hmmm ... this is really interesting. Took your suggestions, and played with the collar to make it fit better. Overall, it seems pretty minimalist, especially with the striping, but adidas did go that way with a few of the RR designs, mainly CGY and NYR.

Β 

Better or worse?

Β 

xfYfOqo.png

Β 

EDIT: Slight change to collar:

bW6dIGo.png

• officeglenn changed the title to officeglenn's Quasi-Reverse Retro Concepts

Here's another kinda-sorta-maybe-Reverse Retro concept -- if the Seattle Kraken were in the league already and taking part. It blends their current colour scheme with a barberpole pattern from the old Seattle Metropolitans. I was trying not to use white at all in this one, but I think there are spots where it might be needed. Also thought about adding the anchor shoulder patch in there, but I think it would not be that visible on the stripes without some kind of outline, and I don't recall seeing the anchor with an outline on any material the team has put out so far.

Β 

imix7ey.png

On 11/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, officeglenn said:

Β 

Took your advice on the lighthouse logo, and I agree that it looks cleaner this way. I also took the white outlines off the shoulder logos, for consistency.

Β 

As for the sleeves, I had a crazy thought that I wanted to try out. Since the shoulder patch from the 2000s was four diagonal stripes, why not have the stripes on this jersey go at a diagonal all the way down the sleeve? It's a bit like this ASG jersey from 2012, but times four. Just crazy enough to work?

Β 

Also added some thinner blue outlines on the numbers as another small callback to the 2000s jerseys.

Β 

Β 

iSoKPEX.png

I’d add teal as a tertiary.Β 

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Oh, that looks really good. I really like how the numbers and NOB seem to cut into the stripes with the ice blue outline. I wonder how it would look if you gave the logo the same stroke?

Β 

Same as I mentioned with the anchor logo, the S logo has not appeared anywhere in the material the team has put out with an outline outside of the "Deep Sea Blue," so I would be hesitant to add one here.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I’d add teal as a tertiary.Β 

Β 

I think I'd have to go switch the royal blue to navy blue then, to maintain contrast. I think that puts it more in just a re-imagining of the fishstick-era sweaters than a reverse retro.

7 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Β 

I think I'd have to go switch the royal blue to navy blue then, to maintain contrast. I think that puts it more in just a re-imagining of the fishstick-era sweaters than a reverse retro.

Perhaps so. I guess your concept is more in keeping with what NHL teams have largely done.Β 

Archived