USFL Logo/Helmet Refresh (AZ Wranglers & OAK Invaders Revisions)

Wildcomet

2 hours ago, jbird669 said:

I like the Gunslinger helmet, but I think you should cut the logo out at the man's waist. Looks kinda goofy, IMO, the way you have it. Then again, the USFL was a bit off, so maybe it fits!!

Imo that logo needs to just go away in general lol. Nothing you can really do with it, it’s one of the worst logos in the history of professional sports

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

On 8/3/2021 at 7:57 PM, Wildcomet said:

No worries,  I don't mind and I appreciate the compliments on the other work. The idea was that it was meant to be like a fighter jet/spacecraft in the shape of a star. The point with the gold & orange windows on it is the cockpit, the other four points make up main wings and tail wings, with the rocket exhaust coming out the back. When I was researching ideas for I saw some different references to things called Starfighter (movies, an Air Force jet, etc) and decided to take the "Starfighter" idea in a very literal direction. I couldn't change the shape much or make it too detailed without losing the overall appearance of the Star however, so I tried to keep it pretty basic.

AH!  Okay, now that you've explained it, I see it.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:46 PM, BengalErnst said:

Imo that logo needs to just go away in general lol. Nothing you can really do with it, it’s one of the worst logos in the history of professional sports

The first time the Gunslingers logo was revealed, I literally thought it was a joke.  Seriously.  They went as cheap as possible by snatching of a comedic design by a beat writer.  I've always wondered if Rocky and Bullwinkle were friends of the logo's.

2 hours ago, LogoFan said:

The first time the Gunslingers logo was revealed, I literally thought it was a joke.  Seriously.  They went as cheap as possible by snatching of a comedic design by a beat writer.  I've always wondered if Rocky and Bullwinkle were friends of the logo's.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:46 PM, BengalErnst said:

Frankly I agree, it is definitely not my favorite design and does not hold up at all to modern standards. But in my head, IF the team and league were to have survived to this point I have a feeling it could've become one of those "too quirky to mess with" or "so lame it's actually cool" type of situations. Plus I was trying to avoid straying too far from the source material, so I did my best to update rather than scrap it entirely.

Outside of the roundel it's functionally too long and thin, but roundels with text do not work on helmets at all in my view, so I had to make it work. I experimented with cutting him off at various points on the body but none looked great to me, and at least the way I did it worked with an "on brand" explanation and leans into the goofiness. Overall it was a fun challenge to work with, haha.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Here's the two current revisions I had to designs I had previously done. 

The first is taking a suggestion I received on this thread to lengthen the lightning bolt in the Oakland logo to make it stand out more behind the O in it's logo, so here's that revision.

spacer.png

And here's a more extensive revision for what was arguably my most controversial initial concept, the Arizona Wranglers.

I abandoned the front-view sunburst brand and went back to the original and did some smaller changes to fix the issues I had with it. The three issues I had were that the copper color that was so ingrained into the team identity wasn't in the logo at all, which is a pet peeve for me, so I worked it in as the color of the now filled in handle and some smaller accents on the brand face and horns. I also put an outline around the handle so that there wasn't that space for the handle opening floating on it's own disconnected from the rest of the logo. Finally, what bugged me most about the original is that the W-horns are shown at a head-on perspective while the rest of the logo is an angled perspective, so I redrew the brand entirely front facing then skewed it so everything matched the same perspective. Aside from that I just thickened the outline a bit, and added a couple detail pieces for a cactus & rock inside the W to sell the idea that it looked like a desert landscape in there. Hope you all like these two!

spacer.png

• Like 4

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

• Wildcomet changed the title to USFL Logo/Helmet Refresh (AZ Wranglers & OAK Invaders Revisions)
  • 8 months later...

First, these concepts are amazing!

Second, any thoughts of releasing concepts for the other teams not done yet? 

Houston Gamblers (gotta have the run-n-shoot team!)

Boston/Portland/New Orleans Beakers (Iconic Colors)

Oklahoma/Arizona Outlaws

Memphis Showboats (Reggie White, Baby!)

Would love to see the completion of these concepts with these last four teams. 

I wish I had the talent to do this! Great job!