2022 Winter Olympics Hockey Concepts - UPDATE: United States

TrueNorth13

The second I heard about the NHL players returning to the winter Olympics, I immediately became super excited for it again. Not that I didn't watch the 2018 olympics, but it was way less exciting. With my excitement came an idea to redesign all the olympic country designs. I think most of us are getting a little tired of Nike's one design fits all template they used for international hockey. At least I'm pretty done with it. I'm guessing Nike will have the contract for international uniforms for awhile, but I wanted to come up with some actual original ideas that make sense for each country. No more wing designs on every uniform sleeve. No more overpowering amount of black on team Canada. 

Up first, my home country and the team that WILL win the gold medal, you heard it here first, Team Canada.

These images were designed for instagram, and I'll admit, I'm a little lazy to change it, so they won't all seamlessly line up like they will on instagram. 

I really wanted to incorporate aspects from Canada hockey history in these uniforms. I did take heavy inspiration from the heritage uniforms that Nike released a year ago. I used that idea, combined with the look from the 1928, 1932, 1936 Olympics and 2002 Olympic alternate with the maple leaf and arched "Canada" below it. I love using the maple leaf as a sort of arm stripe that adds just enough to the uniform to keep it from being boring, but doesn't add too much crazy detail. I hope Nike doesn't go back to the sleeve wings. The white uniform is just a reversed version, while keeping the red shoulders. Finally, the Heritage uniform pays homage to the 1982 world junior uniforms. The shoulder striping comes from a uniform I found online, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what year it came from, but I liked the extra detail.

It's nothing crazy, and I'm sure there are some better concepts out there, but I love a simplistic uniform for the Olympics. It brings history in, but feels modern at the same time. I used and NHL adidas style template, so I didn't add a Nike or Adidas logo for that matter. Since it wouldn't fit Nike's template, but they also won't be made by Adidas I'm guessing.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• 1 month later...

These look amazing. The presentation is super original and professional. One tweak that I thought of: How would it look on the uniform if the leaf had a stem that went behind the Canada banner? That might help the two be a little more connected and not just the leaf sitting on top of the banner. 

On 11/3/2021 at 1:26 PM, colinturner95 said:

This is absolutely what Team Canada should be wearing. Well done!

Thank you! 

On 11/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, MDTrey4 said:

These look amazing. The presentation is super original and professional. One tweak that I thought of: How would it look on the uniform if the leaf had a stem that went behind the Canada banner? That might help the two be a little more connected and not just the leaf sitting on top of the banner. 

Thanks! Especially appreciate the comment of it looking professional, it’s the first time I’ve tried a style like that, so it’s nice that people appreciate it haha. 

The suggestion of a stem is interesting. I honestly hadn’t thought to even add that, but maybe something to try out? My worry is it wouldn’t add enough to the design to make it worth adding in, but there’s never hurt in trying it out right? Appreciate the suggestions though!

It wasn't initially my goal to make concepts for all the Olympic Hockey countries, but I figured why not. So up next is the United States. USA. America. However you want to call them. They have a large history, like Canada, of hockey uniforms used on the world stage. Some pretty great, and some pretty bland. I think the obvious choice was to go with the diagonal USA crest, and that's exactly what I did. Why fix what isn't broken. 

The heritage uniform is a little more special. While researching uniforms that the US has worn in their past, I found an incredible uniform they wore in the 1970's with an eagle crest on the front. It fits perfectly with what I was aiming to do. Present a new and modern look while using aspects of the past heavily in the logo. Instead of the stars on the shoulder, I added them to the waist stripes. I updated the eagle crest as well. Not much of a change, just cleaned it up.

And as always, I'd love to see any comments, critiques, or ideas for these concepts.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to 2022 Winter Olympics Hockey Concepts - UPDATE: United States
  • 2 months later...

Archived