Florida Colleges Retro Rebrand Concepts

raysox

I had an itch I couldn't scratch for some logos I wanted to see, good thing i'm a logo designer.

If you didn't know, both South Florida and Central Florida had much more unique  team names before their current Bulls and Knights names, respectively. USF was the Goldan Brahmans, which is a type of cattle that looks like it has a goiter. The name is unique, even if Bulls is much more recognizable. 

So with this, I traced a Brahman for a front profile looking mascot. Then, added a palm tree and sunset in the negative space created by the lack of features on the front of a bull. To be honest this looks like a normal bull too, so I would just remove the bump at the top to transform the breed.

USF-Golden-Brahmans-Dribbble.png

The case with UCF is a little bit more known. A citronaut, to the best of my understanding, is a citrus shaped astronaut? Some sort of freak that i'm sure a student drew for meal vouchers. Every couple years they bring out the logo for their football team and everyone says go back to it. Well, what if they did and made it look more detailed? There's not a hidden message like the other, besides the star symbol being pulled directly from their university crest.
UCF-Citronauts-Dribbble.png

Would love to hear your thoughts! Just kind of a fun idea I had. It's not the last one I want to do in this series. Look forward for another mid-sized Florida school that drifted away from god's light and changed to a much more boring name.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

The Citronaut looks great. Would love to see some full-body versions of him playing different sports. 

The USF logo doesn't do it for me though. I understand that you went for a realistic look for the Brahma, but as it stands right now, it doesn't look very intimidating. I do love the negative space palm tree though. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 10/18/2022 at 8:10 PM, mcrosby said:

Can you make the citronaut's helmet more orangey? 

Yeah that was something I was grappling with because the body is more of an orange in the original sketches, but they use the head partial logo still. I may have something up my sleeve to address this though.

Thank you for the kind words and critiques! they all mean a lot, I may go back and continue to tweak some. Until then....

On 10/17/2022 at 2:27 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Love both of those logos. I'm really hoping that that other school you're considering is FIU, who used to be the Sunblazers before becoming the Golden Panthers, later dropping "Golden".

Stumpy saw right through me, but of course he has FIU logos in his signature so he knew what was up.

The Sunblazers is a silly 80s name, but it's also fun. Especially fun with a mascot that looks like this. Love that guy. I had sketched up a logo thats kind of a mix of poochie from The Simpsons and the raisin bran mascot. Here is what I have! 
FIU-Sun-Blazers-Dribbble.png

You may recognize the little hat taken from a lot of mascot logos. I want to make a body for this guy to have in the style of the old cartoon mascots. That'll be the next update I think, but would like to hear your feedback! UCF may get one too.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, loholt said:

These are both fantastic. Is there a school in the country where there old logo/name isn't better than the one they're currently using?

Florida seems to corner the market on this because so many state schools are much newer. No excuse for Florida Gulf Coast to be the Eagles though. I'd love to do some other ones if anyone has suggestions! I know the Texas Tech Red Raiders used to be the Matadors which is pretty cool!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

• raysox changed the title to Florida Colleges Retro Rebrand Concepts
  • 2 weeks later...