Vancouver CPL Crest, Logos Turn Up in Trademark Filings

officeglenn

A reporter for the Abbotsford News found the logos for the new Canadian Premier League team in Vancouver (well, Langley to be precise) in the Canadian Trademark Database:

The club also posted an image with "NOV. 2" to their Instagram Stories yesterday that might give a hint to the colour scheme:

instagram-1.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

So looks like the colours are going to be black and white, with red as an accent colour. Curious to see the full crest.

Trademark filings are always done in black and white or greyscale. The red could be more prominent than the Instagram post suggests.

1 minute ago, WestCoastBias said:

Is the CPL the Canadian equivalent to the USL Championship? 

The CPL is technically the top tier of the football pyramid in Canada, despite the Canadian clubs in MLS (which is sanctioned by the US Soccer Federation). As far as the level of play, though, yeah, I think the USL Championship is a fair comparison.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Trademark filings are always done in black and white or greyscale. The red could be more prominent than the Instagram post suggests.

If it is, and the colours are black, white and red, then I think thats a pretty good combo. Those colours are pretty prominent in Salish artwork.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tigers said:

Another Hellas Verona copy.

It looks like it was inspired more from the Lazio crest from 1982-87, especially with the  head and the wing being comprised of four lines. They probably were hugely inspired by Italian football crests from the late 70's and early 1980's and by Gratton, but I wouldn't call it a copy of the Verona logo.

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

It looks like it was inspired more from the Lazio crest from 1982-87, especially with the  head and the wing being comprised of four lines. They probably were hugely inspired by Italian football crests from the late 70's and early 1980's and by Gratton, but I wouldn't call it a copy of the Verona logo.

spacer.png

Hellas Verona has the four lines you speak of, it is in a V, it has been something similar since the 80's. It's not hard to take a bulldog head off and replace it with a Eagle, Hawk, Falcon, Pheonix, etc. etc.

Agreed about the Italian crests as there are a few of them now and previously that had this style

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

8 minutes ago, tigers said:

Hellas Verona has the four lines you speak of, it is in a V, it has been something similar since the 80's. It's not hard to take a bulldog head off and replace it with a Eagle, Hawk, Falcon, Pheonix, etc. etc.

Agreed about the Italian crests as there are a few of them now and previously that had this style

The four lines on the Verona crest are part of a ladder, the emblem of the Della Scala family, The ones on the Lazio logo are wings.

3 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The four lines on the Verona crest are part of a ladder, the emblem of the Della Scala family, The ones on the Lazio logo are wings.

And?

The logo you showed looks nothing like this purported Vancouver one besides the head.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

20 minutes ago, tigers said:

And?

The logo you showed looks nothing like this purported Vancouver one besides the head.

And one is a ladder on a crest with two dogs and the other are wings on a crest with an Eagle.

The head is one of the main features of the logo and it looks incredibly similar to the one on the Lazio 1982-87 crest, which came two years before the Double headed Mastiff Verona crest. I;m pretty sure they took inspiration from both crests (and other ones from the same period in Italian Football design), but it's not a copy of either.

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

The CPL is technically the top tier of the football pyramid in Canada, despite the Canadian clubs in MLS (which is sanctioned by the US Soccer Federation). As far as the level of play, though, yeah, I think the USL Championship is a fair comparison.

Interesting. So, the Canadian MLS teams are technically not part of the soccer pyramid in Canada?

38 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Interesting. So, the Canadian MLS teams are technically not part of the soccer pyramid in Canada?

Correct

• Like 2

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I would have figured this team to be named Valour FC if Winnipeg hadn't already claimed it.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I’m surprised they went with “Vancouver” as the location name considering

-There’s already a major Vancouver soccer club they could be in direct competition with

-Many other CPL teams don’t directly reference their city names

-It’s in the Fraser Valley. I would figure they would try to lean more into this identity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I’m surprised they went with “Vancouver” as the location name considering

-There’s already a major Vancouver soccer club they could be in direct competition with

-Many other CPL teams don’t directly reference their city names

-It’s in the Fraser Valley. I would figure they would try to lean more into this identity.

Well the Vancouver/Vancouver Island area is already very crowded with soccer. In the Canadian soccer pyramid Vancouver FC and Pacific FC are division 1, and  7 of the leagues 8  clubs are in the Vancouver area in division 3 League 1 BC  (team 8 is in Kamloops) . In the American soccer pyramid, Vancouver Whitecaps FC are division 1 MLS and Whitecaps FC II are division 3 MLS Next Pro.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC (MLS)

Vancouver FC (Langley) (CPL)

Pacific FC (Langford) (CPL)

Whitecaps FC II (Burnaby) (MLS Next Pro)

Altitude FC (North Vancouver) (League 1 BC)

Harbourside FC (Nanaimo) (League 1 BC)

TSS Rovers FC (Burnaby) (League 1 BC)

Unity FC (Langley) (League 1 BC)

Varsity FC (UBC campus) (League 1 BC)

Victoria Highlanders FC (Victoria) (League 1 BC)

Whitecaps FC Academy (UBC  campus) (League 1 BC)

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank