XFL23 Edits - Trying to improve the latest iteration of the XFL - Orlando Revamp

jackkmart

10 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

Love it.. but we are waiting for the Guardians and the Brahmas. Those are the two most controversial logos in this league I feel

The Brahmas are gonna take a bit most likely. I'm not even sure what their current logo is to be honest 😅. A Brahman is just a breed of cattle I found out but, as of right now, I'm not sure how to approach a more representative logo whilst keeping the weird lightning (electricity?) motif they have going. I might just do away with it all together, we'll see. 

My first instinct with the Guardians is to just return to a recolored NY Guardians logo but I also might try to create a more 'realistic' lion type logo. Orlando SC has a lion logo so I guess there's some sort of precedence for Lion based team there.

EDIT: I just realized they may have been trying to reference the Birmingham Thunderbolts, of the OG XFL, in the new SA team. But that's just speculation on my part.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, jackkmart said:

St. Louis Battlehawks V1

This is my first iteration of an edited Battlehawks logo. The biggest change is returning to the aesthetic of their old logo. I think the more angular look is a downgrade, if only a minor one, but a downgrade nonetheless. I tried to keep the same general idea intact with a  sword and wing logo but I'm open to more drastic changes.

I also changed the color palette a little to soften the grey making it a bit more blue in hue, which I'm not sure is a positive change. I also included the St. Louis arch in the negative space created by 'unifying' the shape of the logo. Let me know what you think!

Also, I plan on doing uniforms eventually, but I want to get a few logos in a good spot first! 

spacer.png

The addition of the Gateway Arch is cool, though I feel like the shrinking down of the sword makes it look too stubby.

One possible and (probably) unintended side effect of that, however, is that the sword can be interpreted as looking like an angled side view of the Arch. 

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

The addition of the Gateway Arch is cool, though I feel like the shrinking down of the sword makes it look too stubby.

I see what you mean. I think my 'style' tends to lean towards the blocky side with thick strokes and stuff so the stubbiness may just be a consequence of that preference. But I think you have a point it looks like a long dagger.

10 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

One posited and (probably) unintended side effect of that, however is that the sword can be interpreted as looking like an angled side view of the Arch. 

Super duper purposeful 😎. But in all honesty that's a good point and will retroactively claim it  was purposeful.

• LOL 1

Orlando Guardians V1

I'm still workshopping completely different variations of the Guardians logo but I wanted to see what people thought about the NY Guardians logo being revived with the new Orlando green first. I subbed the dark green for black because I just think it makes more sense and looks better with the grey they carried over from the NY branding. Keeping this logo also allows me to keep their old helmet design which was sick. I did make some very minor adjustments to this logo but nothing too noticeable, excluding the changed colors/ outline.

SlahJUO.png

0vXZiS7.png

Again, I'm thinking of trying a completely new kind of logo that is more like a 'real' lion. Something more like this early version I worked up: (based on this concept)

Spoiler

rIPCypr.png

Obviously this is not complete but its an idea.

And, I also slightly elongated the sword on STL's logo to see how it looks (by ~100 pixels, so not a huge jump)

bCR1He0.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, jackkmart said:

Seattle Sea Dragons V1

Alright, this one was tough and definitely needs some refinement. I'm not even sure this is the actual form the logo should take but it's my first attempt at blending the new and old Seattle logo. The new one is nice in that it integrates an S shape  (for Seattle presumably... or Sea, I guess) and it's more angular design is kind of nice looking but it was simplified so much that it lost a lot of the charm the original had. 

This first draft is still a little simple for my tastes and I may try a completely different version that is more reminiscent of the OG logo but which integrates the S form as well. For now though this is a good start.

k08M9Wa.png

I really like this update.  Any chance you would be OK if I used this concept for my USFL Seattle Dragons (alt history project)?

4 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I really like this update.  Any chance you would be OK if I used this concept for my USFL Seattle Dragons (alt history project)?

I don't mind at all! Also, I enjoy your USFL series quite a bit.

Here is a plain PNG for ease of use.

kTO0Yyg.png

San Antonio Brahmas V1

Ok this one might be the most controversial I've posted so far. I've tried my absolute best to bridge the gap between whatever the hell they've officially gone with and a more traditional bull head logo. I also decided to harken back to the Birmingham Bolts (as it seems like the XFL was trying to do that anyway) in the color palette as I think dark grey is a pretty bad primary color most of the time. It is especially bad when contrasted with a fluorescent yellow color which just reminds me of those Nike socks middle school boys love. 

The logo's overall shape here is heavily based on another Bull concept logo by Sergey Jir. I've re-created it to match the lightning-esque theme of the Brahmas while trying to make them more bull-like. This is definitely a first draft and will likely not be universally liked, I'm not overly keen on it myself at the moment and I already have a couple other sketches done for the team that I haven't fully fleshed out yet.

All in all, its a mishmash of the Bolts, current Brahmas, and Sergey's bull concept. Also, the star in his original concept works especially well for a team in SA (or Texas generally) it being the Lone Star state and it ties into the Alamo which was also referenced in the recently leaked logo trademarked by the XFL, presumably for the Brahmas.

eSymNol.png

fYyWOrB.png

• Like 1

Elongating the sword in the Battlehawks logo was a great call, I really like it now. The arch in there was also a great idea.

I like some of the changes you made with Orlando's logo, but would be interested in seeing what you could come up with for the new concept that's less gargoyle like.

San Antonio is definitely on a good track and definitely looks more like a bull now. The color changes are a win for sure. All in all good work on these.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

23 minutes ago, Wildcomet said:

Elongating the sword in the Battlehawks logo was a great call

I agree. Credit to gosioux76 for the suggestion, I fell like that logo is mostly complete now. 

25 minutes ago, Wildcomet said:

would be interested in seeing what you could come up with for the new concept that's less gargoyle

Yeah, I will probably end up leaning into a more lion-like logo but I need to get a sketch/ concept I like first. The original logo is good, but like you say, a little too much Gargoyle in it for Orlando. The only Gargoyles in central Florida are probably to be found at Universal or Disney. 

Arlington Renegades

Ok, this one is also pretty simple. Dalla... errr, Arlington already had a good, and somewhat popular primary logo in their last iteration so I just brought it back. I could iterate on it significantly if there's enough demand, but from what I could tell, people generally liked the Renegade head logo. Don't break what works. I will however, be trying to iterate on their secondary logos and others in the league if and where necessary in subsequent posts. As for the primary and helmet though, we just rehash their old look with some very, very minor tweaks.

0XfVpuZ.png

xmgj3Cz.png

• Like 1

First Round of Edits Overview

So that's the first round of edits done. Seems like people like the Seattle look a lot in general so less work is needed there than I anticipated. I expect the lion's share of the updates from here will be related to the Brahmas, Guardians, and general touchups or integrations of secondary logos. 

Just as an overview...

Primary logos for now:

fUzI6u9.png

And, all the helmet designs for now:

CAREFUL THE IMAGES ARE QUITE LARGE!

kjo7BQB.jpg

Sa0JzaO.jpg

LfPyVZ9.jpg

Y2TXIga.jpg

wIHeHEy.jpg

7rkWMJv.jpg

sS2eG8k.jpg

AgNOvYJ.jpg

These are by no means set in stone, so if you have any edits you would like to see or critique, feel free to share.

Something is still off on the Brahmas logo but I can’t explain what it is. I liked how you combined so many ideas into one however and it’s a major improvement.

Love that Guardians set from 2020 and the new colors do work for it, but the gargoyle look just doesn’t work for Orlando so I can’t wait to see what you do there.

Give the new secondary from the Battlehawks a look over. I think you can do something pretty cool there. 

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

• jackkmart changed the title to XFL23 Edits - Trying to improve the latest iteration of the XFL
1 hour ago, BengalErnst said:

Something is still off on the Brahmas logo but I can’t explain what it is

Yeah I'll keep working at it to improve the concept. Could be a combination of things from shape to coloration. It lacks some features (like eyes) and the shading is not perfect by any means as well. 

Before I post a proper update I was playing with these two colorways of the same logo that may be more appealing.

HfJxi2m.png

Simply an inverse of the existing logo with a slightly different blue

AqL0Qy6.png

Trying a more 'tan' or sandy yellow akin to what the San Antonio Missions use. A little less e-sports when you drop the electric yellow, but I don't want to stray too far from the original Brahmas concept.

EDIT: Also, the blue I used on the first Brahmas logo is more a deep royal purple which may also not be the best choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackkmart said:

EDIT: Also, the blue I used on the first Brahmas logo is more a deep royal purple which may also not be the best choice.

You know, that wouldn't look bad paired with the bright yellow.

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

10 hours ago, jackkmart said:

Yeah I'll keep working at it to improve the concept. Could be a combination of things from shape to coloration. It lacks some features (like eyes) and the shading is not perfect by any means as well. 

Before I post a proper update I was playing with these two colorways of the same logo that may be more appealing.

HfJxi2m.png

Simply an inverse of the existing logo with a slightly different blue

AqL0Qy6.png

Trying a more 'tan' or sandy yellow akin to what the San Antonio Missions use. A little less e-sports when you drop the electric yellow, but I don't want to stray too far from the original Brahmas concept.

It may be a bigger move from the original than you wanted, but have you tried doing the inverted colors with the tan color version? I do like that over the bright yellow and would be interested to see it.  The only other things I can think of right now for possible tweaks would maybe be experimenting with the size of the star and the shape/orientation of the ears, or possibly some smaller lightning bolts down from the eye brow ridges into the blue space to incorporate the eyes more explicitly. Overall though it's a nice design, well done so far.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png