Bringing MLB's '90s Expansion Teams into the Modern Day (Rockies 5/6)

coco1997

On 4/24/2023 at 7:15 AM, gimmick said:

Yes! Much better.

Good to hear!

Up next are the Anaheim Angels:

ANGELS HOME:
Angels-Home-w-crest.png

ANGELS ROAD:

Angels-Road.png

ANGELS HOME ALT:

Angels-Home-Alt-periwinkle.png

ANGELS ROAD ALT:

Angels-Road-Alt.png

Notes:

- OK, so this one diverts from the premise of the series a bit, but I wanted an excuse to try my hand at "fixing" the Disney-era Angels, and the team's 1997 rebrand was so dramatic that it may as well have been for an expansion team. 

- Like many uniforms from this period, the Angels' look had plenty of worthwhile ingredients but was ultimately less than the sum of its parts. I've always loved the winged "A" logo, as well as that vibrant shade of red and periwinkle, but the pinstripes, vests and use of metallic gold terribly dates those designs. (I've often said the Angels' road set from this era might be the single most '90s baseball uniform of all time.)

- My goal here was to amplify those beautiful shades of red and periwinkle and minimize but not entirely get rid of navy, given the team's precedent for wearing it. The Halos would therefore be a mainly red and periwinkle team at home, saving their navy-dominant look for away games. 

- I didn't want to ditch the pinstripes entirely, so I added subtle pins to the road uniforms, inspired by the Twins' new away set. I also added a headspoon for good measure. 
- For the alts, I moved the TV numbers from the sleeves to the front for consistency with the primary jerseys.

- Props to @Victormrey for suggesting I use Anaheim's primary logo for the home and road alt's sleeve patch, replacing the original alternate logo which I never felt fit the rest of the branding, especially given its use of metallic gold and total lack of red. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Bringing MLB's '90s Expansion Teams into the Modern Day (Anaheim Angels 4/26)
2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Good to hear!

Up next are the Anaheim Angels:

ANGELS HOME:
Angels-Home-w-crest.png

ANGELS ROAD:

Angels-Road.png

ANGELS HOME ALT:

Angels-Home-Alt-periwinkle.png

ANGELS ROAD ALT:

Angels-Road-Alt.png

Notes:

- OK, so this one diverts from the premise of the series a bit, but I wanted to try my hand at "fixing" the Disney-era Angels, and the team's 1997 rebrand was so dramatic that they may as well have been an expansion team. 

- Like many uniforms from this period, the Angels' look had a plenty of worthwhile ingredients but was ultimately less than the sum of its parts. I've always loved the winged "A" logo, as well as that vibrant shade of red and the use of periwinkle, but the pinstripes, vest jerseys and use of metallic gold terribly dates those designs. I've often said the Angels' road set from this era might be the single most '90s baseball uniform of all time. 

- My goal here was to amplify those beautiful shades of red and periwinkle and minimize but not get rid of navy entirely, given the team's precedent for wearing it. The Halos would therefore be red and periwinkle-forward at home, saving their navy-dominant look for away games. 

- I didn't want to forget the pinstripes entirely, so I added faint pins to the road uniforms, inspired by the Twins' new away set. I also added a headspoon for good measure. 

- Props to @Victormrey for suggesting I use Anaheim's primary logo for the home and road alt's sleeve patch, replacing the original alternate logo which I never felt fit the rest of the branding, especially given its use of metallic gold and total lack of red. 

C&C appreciated! 

The 90's Halos were criminally underrated.

• Like 2

The first Disney era rebrand of the Angels is so 90s theres no taking it out of that decade, pretty much anything with those logos is going to look like it stepped out of a time machine. I don't think there is any bringing it into the modern day. I understand not using the original alternate logo, though that does mean the uniform set is Halo free.

I like the set for what it is though.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 2:39 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The 90's Halos were criminally underrated.

Agreed!

On 4/26/2023 at 12:56 PM, Raptorman415 said:

I love the idea of you just modernizing every look from the 1990s. A Brewer look would be cool to see. You always pump out quality and I'm enjoying every look. Keep it up dude!

Thank you! I might as well rename this thread "Bringing MLB's Redesigns into the Modern Day." :wink2: I might end up tackling those mid-late '90s Brewers at some point.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:27 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

The first Disney era rebrand of the Angels is so 90s theres no taking it out of that decade, pretty much anything with those logos is going to look like it stepped out of a time machine. I don't think there is any bringing it into the modern day. I understand not using the original alternate logo, though that does mean the uniform set is Halo free.

I like the set for what it is though.

Thanks! Yeah, the Disney-era Angels unis are very much a product of their time, but there's a lot about them I actually like. 

Curious if you have any suggestions for how to handle the Rockies?

On 4/27/2023 at 8:20 PM, Ark said:

Hey this is a great use of gradients 

Thanks!

On 4/28/2023 at 9:40 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

Updated scripts, perhaps take inspiration from the Rockies City Connects, different shade of purple.

Up today are the Rockies!

ROCKIES HOME:
Rockies-Home-w-headspoon.png

ROCKIES ROAD:

Rockies-Road.png

ROCKIES HOME/ROAD ALT:

Rockies-Alt.png

Notes:

- Again, my goal here was not to burn everything down and reinvent the wheel. While I definitely understand feeling that Colorado's current branding has run its course, I also feel that much of it is very much salvageable. 

- To me, the fatal flaw of the Rockies' look has always been the totally unnecessary inclusion of black, especially given the team’s original, darker shade of purple. I love the idea of Colorado going all-in on purple and becoming sort of the Reds of the NL West, using a secondary color (in this case, silver) only sparingly, if at all. Ditching black also helps the team look a lot less like a White Sox knockoff. I briefly toyed with a City Connect-inspired color scheme of purple and forest green but realized that probably would only invite further comparisons to the D-Backs
- Similar to the Devil Rays, I've never liked any road wordmark the team has used, and then I remembered those original '90s road jerseys just had "Rockies" on them. Here, I've used the vertically arched "Rockies" wordmark from the official team magazine, which is VASTLY superior to the style used on their real life jerseys, wouldn't you say? 

- A headspoon is added to the home jersey for unity with the other two jerseys. 

- While I typically use them with most of my concepts anyway, for some reason I feel white cleats would look especially cool on the Rockies in real life. 

That's it for the Rockies. C&C appreciated as always!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Bringing MLB's '90s Expansion Teams into the Modern Day (Rockies 5/6)

Good call on the colours, deep purple should be the colour for Colorado with a dash of a secondary colour. I do like the headspoon on the home and would help to distinguish them further from Arizona for the home and the sleeveless look works pretty well.

• Like 1