A New Look for The Rockies

Victormrey

The Colorado Rockies are turning 30 this year, and, despite having introduced some uniform variations throughout this three decades, their core style (construction, wordmarks, logos, etc.) has remained basically the same. Therefore, I've decided to create a new 4-uniform set from scratch.

The main change comes with the colours: I swapped their traditional purple shade for a lighter and paler one, based on the colour of the Blue Columbine, Colorado's State flower. As secondary colour I changed the black for a dark and deep purple.

Regarding the wordmarks, I found a font called Umberland Slab, which I think offers a nice evolution while keeping the team's essence. The 4 jerseys feature the scripts in the shape of an arch-top, while the cap features the (sort of) interlocked "CR" initials.

For the jerseys I tried to keep what makes the Rockies stand out: the purple pinstripes, the sleeve and placket piping, and the sleeveless alts:

3oahhAv.png

edAxubw.png

k5KnHRL.png

CD8m2qC.png

C&C are more than welcome!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Not bad at all. I like your new sleeve logo, and those subdued stripes work well on the purple jersey.

My suggestion would be to create a little more contrast. Use purple outlining on the cap logos, silver outlining on the black jersey, etc. Really make those colors pop.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 8:51 PM, DTConcepts said:

Not a bad start here. I think the wordmarks could be improved by an outline or some sort of beveling similar to what the team currently uses. The font choice isn't bad, but feels a little bland as-is. I really like the updated colors, too.

On 4/20/2023 at 5:09 AM, SSmith48 said:

I would say if you're going for the bookend-style look for the wordmark, go for all caps, with bigger letters on the beginning and end. The mixed capitalization looks really wonky. I like the route this is going in so far though.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:27 AM, mahnkej said:

Not bad at all. I like your new sleeve logo, and those subdued stripes work well on the purple jersey.

My suggestion would be to create a little more contrast. Use purple outlining on the cap logos, silver outlining on the black jersey, etc. Really make those colors pop.

Thank you guys for your feedback! I've tried to apply your ideas, firstly, to the home jersey:

N81QOnW.png

In this case, I think the second silver outline helps to avoid the stripes from blending into the wordmark, but I think for the rest of the set I will keep a single border.

What do you think?

• Like 4

The all-caps version of the wordmark is a definite improvement. I'd like to see the all-caps applied to the road wordmark, as well. I also LOVE the crossed pickaxe and bat logo. Nice work!

My only big critique of the set as whole is that the primary shade of purple looks a little too washed out for my tastes. I would try out a richer shade, closer to what the team uses in real life.

• Like 1

You could have a very clean Rockies version of the Angels late 90s brand and I think that's achievable but unsure if it looks correct right now. 

I think the all caps font is an improvement, but it's probably too generic of font compared to other pro teams. Also the patch logo being a pick axe/baseball bat feels too nuggets, and would be too thin to work as a stand alone patch. They're themed after the geography, not a specific profession. I think a mountain climber ice ax would work better if you're committed to the crossed icons. 

I think you're knocking at the door to something really special, and you're capable of that. Just keep trying to push it and make it more uniquely Rockies.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 1:05 AM, coco1997 said:

The all-caps version of the wordmark is a definite improvement. I'd like to see the all-caps applied to the road wordmark, as well. I also LOVE the crossed pickaxe and bat logo. Nice work!

My only big critique of the set as whole is that the primary shade of purple looks a little too washed out for my tastes. I would try out a richer shade, closer to what the team uses in real life.

14 hours ago, raysox said:

You could have a very clean Rockies version of the Angels late 90s brand and I think that's achievable but unsure if it looks correct right now. 

I think the all caps font is an improvement, but it's probably too generic of font compared to other pro teams. Also the patch logo being a pick axe/baseball bat feels too nuggets, and would be too thin to work as a stand alone patch. They're themed after the geography, not a specific profession. I think a mountain climber ice ax would work better if you're committed to the crossed icons. 

I think you're knocking at the door to something really special, and you're capable of that. Just keep trying to push it and make it more uniquely Rockies.

Thank you both for you kind words and your ideas!

@raysox I guess you probably meant the Angels' Disney era, but since you mentioned them, it came to my mind the idea of using some sort of variation of the current wordmark (kind of) with spikes, like the current Angels and Rangers wordmarks:

Ln3y0Pq.png

I've already changed the lighter purple shade, as @coco1997 suggested.

Also, I've already worked on a crossed ice axe and bat logo, and it will be feature on my next jersey post, once I figure out what to do with the wordmark!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I like the spiked wordmark much more. Feels a lot more Colorado-y. The only thing I'd change is that I'd try tightening the letters up, similar to the way you had the original.

What about this?

ksoJhnj.png

• Like 3

The new wordmark is definitely a step up, but I think the two purples are slightly too close in value that from a distance, you'd lose the shapes of some of the letters. I'd either thin out the darker outline or maybe even add white in between the two purples.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 3:34 PM, Shumway said:

The new wordmark is definitely a step up, but I think the two purples are slightly too close in value that from a distance, you'd lose the shapes of some of the letters. I'd either thin out the darker outline or maybe even add white in between the two purples.

Agreed, it sort of gets a bit muddy. Here's the updated jersey with the new wordmark featuring a silver outline in the middle:

fm3tS4I.png

Now that I post it I realise I should change the cap logo as well. I'll do it (apart from completing the set) if you guys think this tweak is an improvement.

23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I actually think the added white outline to the wordmark makes it even more difficult to read. I’d try out  @Shumway’s suggestion if either thinning the outline or going with a brighter shade of purple for the letters.

What about going back to the original shade of purple?

MZn7B1F.png

• Like 1