Seattle Mariners Brand Refresh

upperV03

When the Mariners City Connect jersey first leaked, one of my first thoughts was how much potential the wordmark had for being the basis of an updated identity system. Ditto for the S logo on the leaked prototype socks. As a Mariners fan myself, I think the current identity has a lot of good bones but the logos and typography have looked dated for a while. Plus, the navy jersey is and has been a train wreck for quite some time. This proposed brand refresh addresses those issues and builds on the current identity while also nodding to the past. 

- Primary cap logo is a tweaked version of what was seen on the leaked prototype CC socks. The compass rose has eight evenly sized spikes, with a yellow highlight pointing northwest. I was inspired in part by the inclusion of yellow in the All-Star Game logo.

- The teal-brimmed cap becomes the primary cap for both the white and teal jerseys. Could easily be worn with the navy jerseys as well.

- Headspoon piping, used by the M’s since 1987, remains. The color of the piping matches the color of the drop shadow on the white, teal, and navy jerseys.

- I personally would prefer a gray uni, but M’s fans love the cream set. With that in mind, I made a new version of it with collar and cuff striping like the new City Connect (just with the blue and yellow swapped). Cap is solid blue with a stand-alone S as a nod to the both the Pilots and the Mariners’ ‘87-92 caps.

- The trident is used in the “Mariners” wordmark, but the compass rose remains as the primary identifier. Frankly just a matter of personal preference there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Applause 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

This looks really good. The compass rose S looks great on the cap.

I would like to see the wordmarks and logos without the bevelling and a road gray, Seattle should have dumped the cream alt this season instead, as the road gray was really nice and there is only one MLB team that should have a cream uniform trimmed in blue and gold.

• Like 2

The updated S-compass logo is gets sort of muddled when it's on a white BG. A thinner white outline on the inside of the S might help there. But the northwest compass point is the perfect touch. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Love pretty much everything about this and wish the M's would switch to it yesterday. This would be right at home with the great "what's old is new again" redesigns of recent years like the 2012 Blue Jays, 2013 Astros and 2020 Padres. 

My only criticism is that the navy "S" on the home jersey sleeve gets a bit lost against the Northwest green background/outline, which I think @colinturner95 also alluded to. I'd also love to see the return of the Northwest green cap with navy bill!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

The updated S-compass logo is gets sort of muddled when it's on a white BG. A thinner white outline on the inside of the S might help there. But the northwest compass point is the perfect touch. 

Yeah, that was definitely something that was bothering me but I couldn’t quite figure out the best way to fix it. I did try a thin white stroke on the inside, but still wasn’t completely satisfied. I think I almost like an approach like this better, just a larger compass rose patch on the sleeve of the white jersey and also a matching gray jersey as requested by @VampyrRabbit:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I love everything about this except the gold NW on the compass. It's distracting and muddies the patch on the white and gray jerseys. Everything else is excellent and would be a great update for the Mariners. Nice work!

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

22 hours ago, CDCLT said:

I love everything about this except the gold NW on the compass. It's distracting and muddies the patch on the white and gray jerseys. Everything else is excellent and would be a great update for the Mariners. Nice work!

I get that, I definitely expected some people to have that reaction to it. I guess my response would be that it’s kind of supposed to be that way??? Not necessarily a distraction per se, but it’s definitely intended to draw your attention.

In any case, I decided to make some 3D mocks of the white, gray, teal, and navy uniforms:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Fantastic work on this concept. You did a great job of capturing various elements from the M's branding history. Just for fun, do you think we could get a look at a hat like the one below with the sleeve patch replacing the compass S? Could be a spring training/BP kinda hat. 

Seattle Mariners (1994 - 1996)

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Everything about this concept is fantastic, and would translate into the MLB seamlessly. The only change I would make is for the northwest highlight on the compass. It makes sense why you included yellow, but it seems really out of place when paired directly next to teal and navy. If you replaced yellow with a color like silver, white, or even that powder blue-ish color from the ST jersey, I think it'd look more cohesive.

All that you've made is really impressive though, and would be an improvement of the current set that has grown dated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Fantastic work on this concept. You did a great job of capturing various elements from the M's branding history. Just for fun, do you think we could get a look at a hat like the one below with the sleeve patch replacing the compass S? Could be a spring training/BP kinda hat. 

Seattle Mariners (1994 - 1996)

Really appreciate the kind words, and yes here are a couple mocks with a teal hat. I like the idea of it being an occasional alternate for the white jerseys (kinda like Toronto sparingly wearing the white-panel hats) and the go-to cap for when the navy tops would be worn at home.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

22 hours ago, jbird669 said:

This is a really good up. Would love to see a trident M logo cap, though.

Haven’t made a 3D mock yet, but I did post a 2D version of a trident cap on Twitter:

spacer.png

I like the trident a lot, but I personally prefer the S compass on the cap. I would be good with the trident as an alternate or spring training/BP cap, though. 

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1