MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I would need sources for these.

This also states Sacramento as a potential suitor

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Major_League_Baseball_contraction_plan

It wasn’t really Minnesota threatening, but more so back in the early 2000s, MLB threatened contraction upon Minnesota and Montreal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Twins

Under the history tab it lists those locations as targets for Twins relocation.

I know Wikipedia can be a tricky source, so I can work on finding more concrete proof.

• Like 1

What if... the Pirates relocated to New York?

After losing the Dodgers & Giants in 1957, NY lawyer William Shea tried to lure the Pirates to move, but was rejected. Since the Pirates use the colors of Pittsburgh's flag, it made sense to switch the colors to NYC's flag.

vx5kDDb.png

uFSrFqJ.png

JWHdhTX.png

XHfgXhb.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [New York Pirates]

I like the NY Pirates, but it feels like at least one jersey (probably the Black Alternate) in the set should have just the NY monogram on the front. I'm also wondering what a We Are Family pinstriped style home would look like.

The sky blue and navy Tides look the best, a team from Norfolk without navy just looks wrong. It's probably for the best the Marlins never moved, just one look at the Hampton Roads area on Google Earth will show just why there aren't any major league teams there and that isn't going to change any time soon. The area has the titular waterway in the middle and there are other waterways separating the various cites, and much of those cities are suburbs, so while Hampton Roads has the population (1.7 million), it's really spread out.

With two of the major economic drivers of the area being the Military and Tourism, that leads to a large itinerant population, so combine that with the spread out population, it's not a surprise that the area has no teams in the big four and that the attempts to bring a team there all failed. I doubt the Marlins would have done better in Norfolk than they have been doing in Miami.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Love the Pirates! Nice touch to include a BFBS alt, too.

I found this article that details how New York was a bustling port town for pirates in the late 1600s, thus making “Pirates” a reasonable nickname for an NYC team. 

Thanks! I'm glad the name works out in New York, as well.

17 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I like the NY Pirates, but it feels like at least one jersey (probably the Black Alternate) in the set should have just the NY monogram on the front. 

Here's a look at the black alternate with the "NY" monogram:
f1fYyS7.png

I like it! It recalls the Bucs' black home alternate, which I hadn't thought of incorporating.

18 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I'm also wondering what a We Are Family pinstriped style home would look like.

I'm not sure if this is what you were envisioning, but I tried my hand at a design separating blue & orange. It feels pretty Florida Gators-esque, but I quite like it.

UEYHtBW.png

18 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The sky blue and navy Tides look the best, a team from Norfolk without navy just looks wrong. It's probably for the best the Marlins never moved, just one look at the Hampton Roads area on Google Earth will show just why there aren't any major league teams there and that isn't going to change any time soon. The area has the titular waterway in the middle and there are other waterways separating the various cites, and much of those cities are suburbs, so while Hampton Roads has the population (1.7 million), it's really spread out.

With two of the major economic drivers of the area being the Military and Tourism, that leads to a large itinerant population, so combine that with the spread out population, it's not a surprise that the area has no teams in the big four and that the attempts to bring a team there all failed. I doubt the Marlins would have done better in Norfolk than they have been doing in Miami.

Yeah, I don't know much about the economics involved, but Norfolk has never struck me as a city capable of hosting a big four team, and definitely not more-so than Miami. It was probably always just used as bait to get a new stadium.

• Like 6

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Buffalo Red Sox]
2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Red Sox "remained" in Buffalo?

Per @coco1997: In 1901, AL founder Byron Johnson had promised Buffalo a new franchise before snubbing the city and awarding Boston a second MLB team instead. The red, white, & blue scheme recalls the Buffalo Bisons & the city's NFL team.

lquXDPt.png

xMS5fS1.png

KIyHKII.png

CTdh2UA.png

I really like that red jersey

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

22 hours ago, johne9109 said:

I really like that red jersey

Thanks!

21 hours ago, MilSox said:

Not bad. But I have to believe they'd be the Bisons.

Wouldn't be a tough swtich:

5OPsNrd.png

ALX0Dfy.png

izyLCJN.png

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Buffalo Red Sox turned out nicely! I like the idea of swapping navy for royal blue. 

The black Pirates alt with “NY” monogram also looks great.

Thank you!

• Like 5

What if... the Cardinals relocated to Baltimore?

Per @coco1997: After the Federal League collapsed in 1916, Baltimore Terrapins owners tried to purchase the Cards, but the deal was rejected. I went with a red, black, & gold scheme inspired by Maryland's flag.

5Jq778I.png

FPYzfR9.png

A2InJ5z.png

0mTEG8D.png

• Like 9

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Baltimore Cardinals]
2 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Per @coco1997: After the Federal League collapsed in 1916, Baltimore Terrapins owners tried to purchase the Cards, but the deal was rejected. I went with a red, black, & gold scheme inspired by Maryland's flag.

5Jq778I.png

FPYzfR9.png

A2InJ5z.png

0mTEG8D.png

This is good stuff, but I’d argue they should be the Orioles just in the style of the Cardinals

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

5Jq778I.png

FPYzfR9.png

A2InJ5z.png

0mTEG8D.png

Nice job! I like the decision to replace navy with black and amp up the gold. It probably makes sense to use this same color scheme for the Baltimore Braves. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

This is good stuff, but I’d argue they should be the Orioles just in the style of the Cardinals

Hmmm... 🤔

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice job! I like the decision to replace navy with black and amp up the gold. It probably makes sense to use this same color scheme for the Baltimore Braves. 

Thanks! I was thinking of using the same scheme for the Braves, although that set still needs a little bit of something, and I'm not sure quite what yet.

• Like 2

What if... the Cardinals relocated to Baltimore (and changed their name)?

This is the same Cardinals → Baltimore premise, but if they changed the name to the Orioles, which would have historical precedence, with the team that eventually became the Yankees.

ljHN9m7.png

wE1glJu.png

BgzOAEl.png

BPrOFTV.png

• Like 10
  • Love 7
  • Applause 3

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Baltimore Orioles (Cardinals)]

I love the Cardinals-style Orioles! Such a classic baseball design that translates pretty spectacularly to the O's. I think the birds get a little lost on the orange set (the real-life Cardinals put a stroke around all that on their red jersey, maybe something like that is justified here?) and as a matter of speculation - the STL Cards place a lot of emphasis on their STL monogram. Maybe this hypothetical Orioles franchise, instead of an O's mark, uses a B cap logo instead? (I'm really only saying this because I, as an O's fan, hate the O's logo and wish they'd replace it with the script B.) Funnily enough, the number font, which I remember not particularly liking from your MLB redesigns, works really well here. Must be something about the style of the script. Nice work!

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt

18 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Cardinals relocated the Baltimore (and changed their name)?

This is the same Cardinals → Baltimore premise, but if they changed the name to the Orioles, which would have historical precedence, with the team that eventually became the Yankees.

ljHN9m7.png

wE1glJu.png

BgzOAEl.png

BPrOFTV.png

Now THAT's more like it. Perfection!

spacer.png

I appreciate that some of these recent concepts are ones that (to my knowledge) no one has ever done, resulting in some really interesting and unexpected designs. Also glad that several of them have been my suggestions. :wink2:

• Like 5