2023-2024 International Club Soccer

MJWalker45

Columbus Crew survived a pretty Concacafy evening thanks to Tigres refusing to stick goals in the back of the net in the first half. After spending 10 minutes to decide if a Tigres player was offside, VAR refused to have the center ref look at an obvious penalty by Tigres that would have given Columbus a chance to tie the match 1-1. Fortunately they would eventually do so before winning 4-3 on penalties, with Patrick Schulte making two saves and almost making a third.

Club America took their time cutting New England Revolution to pieces, winning 9-2 on aggregate. 

Columbus gets the winner of Monterrey vs Inter Miami, and Club America will most likely face Pachuca, who has a 5 goal lead over Club Herediano of Costa Rica. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

monterrey-mexico-brandon-vazquez-of-mont

A foreign national shows up big time for a league seeking an identity. Welcome Brandon Vasquez!!!! Inter Miami, , actually Tata since he's in charge, has proven once again  that just doing the same thing over and over again that doesn't work is the style he's comfortable with. Not paying for defenders and shipping out Yedlin also bit them pretty hard last night.

Luis Suarez also went back to some of dark arts, twisting arms and such. When it gets to that point, you know the game is over. But it was only 1-0! As much talent they have, Miami needs to add a lot of youth, right now! Otherwise, they may not make the playoffs if they aren't in the top 4 or 5 spots before Copa and the Euros kick off. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

portsmouth-england-paddy-lane-of-portsmo

Portsmouth have been promoted to the Championship as League Champions of League One. Derby were denied the chance to all but claim second place due to Bolton Wanderers tying their match with Shrewsbury.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68767272

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68767271

Bolton would need to win their last two and make up goal difference (-5 points) to jump Derby, who would need to lose both remaining matches. 

nottingham-england-paddy-madden-of-stock

wrexham-wales-players-of-wrexham-celebra

Stockport County (Champions) and Wrexham have earned promotion to League One. Stockport (in blue)won the league by beating Notts County last night. 

halifax-england-chesterfield-fans-displa

Chesterfield FC have claimed the National League automatic  promotion spot and championship. They are moving up to League Two. 

It looks like the two automatic spots from the Championship to the Premier League will not be decided until the final day with slot 1-4 all within 5 points of each other. Ipswich Town are currently leading with 89 points and Southampton are sitting on 84 points in 4th place. Leicester City are in 2nd place, but regardless of where they finish up will likely be docked points going into the 2024-25 season. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, MJWalker45 said:

https://theathletic.com/5408686/2024/04/18/fa-cup-replays-scrapped-final/

Starting next season, no more replays in the FA Cup, starting with the First Round Proper. 

And then we have the idjits at Talksport who say that the EFL teams should just sit out the FA Cup next year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

accidental-renaissance-v0-9nxg9dkudjwc1.

Columbus Crew win 2-1 in the first leg of the Concacaf Champions Cup semi-finals, over Monterrey. The next leg is Wednesday at Monterrey. Club America and Pachuca tied 1-1 on Tuesday. A lot of people were ganging up on Jacen Russell-Rowe just before he headed in the winner, so that was great on his part. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm not one of those people who roots for your league if your team itself is knocked out -- we don't have the coefficient stuff in North America, rivals can go to hell, MLS is ridiculous anyway -- but I have to say I like the idea of "Columbus, Ohio: continental powerhouse". Obviously MLS will take credit as if they even want that team to exist. How long before Nancy makes the leap to a European side?

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

I'm not one of those people who roots for your league if your team itself is knocked out -- we don't have the coefficient stuff in North America, rivals can go to hell, MLS is ridiculous anyway -- but I have to say I like the idea of "Columbus, Ohio: continental powerhouse". Obviously MLS will take credit as if they even want that team to exist. How long before Nancy makes the leap to a European side?

Columbus just signed him to a big extension, so we know he's not long for this club. If we get to keep him for one more season after this I think we'll be lucky. I just hope he doesn't go to the EPL, because unless he's dropped into a club that looks like the Crew I don't think he'll have the immediate level of success he needs to stay long term. I do think Ligue A or a mid-table La Liga squad would be a great spot for him. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png