This is the UFL! (XFL/USFL Merger)

Cujo

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

So what is "enough", and why is minor league football expected to draw so many more people than other minor league sports? The league-wide attendance average for the AHL this past season was 5,920, and that was a record high. The top team, Cleveland, averaged 10,347. For baseball, the IL averaged 6,061 and the PCL averaged 5,762, with their top teams averaging 7,990 and 7,048 respectively.

So while Michigan's numbers could certainly be better, it seems pretty in line with minor league attendance numbers.

I guess 'not enough' in terms of being financially viable.

Too many people seem to will this into being bigger than it is. I agree with you that it is minor league football. But minor league football doesn't play in major league venues on broadcast TV - so there's a disconnect. I try to point that out when people don't seem to (want to) see it.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

So what is "enough", and why is minor league football expected to draw so many more people than other minor league sports? The league-wide attendance average for the AHL this past season was 5,920, and that was a record high. The top team, Cleveland, averaged 10,347. For baseball, the IL averaged 6,061 and the PCL averaged 5,762, with their top teams averaging 7,990 and 7,048 respectively.

So while Michigan's numbers could certainly be better, it seems pretty in line with minor league attendance numbers.

But this doesn't really consider itself or present itself as a "minor" league - not with national television packages, etc. It's somewhere between "pro" and "minor," so it demands higher numbers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, burgundy said:

You can't really lump all minor leagues of every sport into one attendance range. Those others are long established farm systems that operate during the major sport's season. The UFL is a non-affiliated football league operating when no other football league really is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raz said:

But this doesn't really consider itself or present itself as a "minor" league - not with national television packages, etc. It's somewhere between "pro" and "minor," so it demands higher numbers. 

43 minutes ago, McCall said:

You can't really lump all minor leagues of every sport into one attendance range. Those others are long established farm systems that operate during the major sport's season. The UFL is a non-affiliated football league operating when no other football league really is.

Unless they say they intend to be at the level of the NFL, and no one in this league or its two progenitors have said that's the intended goal. In fact, both Moose and the Rock are swearing by the idea that this league is about getting players another shot at the NFL. For now, the ratings are doing well enough that the attendance isn't a factor in the league going forward. If we're 5-6 years in and that hasn't changed, then there is an issue that needs to be addressed. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

In the current setup, Birmingham's W9 game matters for just Birmingham. If they win, it makes Michigan's game on Sunday meaningless. If Birmingham wins, it doesn't affect San Antonio.

If Birmingham loses to San Antonio, it doesn't matter if STL wins or loses. Because the winner in Week 10 wins the XFL Division. And if Birmingham does lose, it setups up the Week 10 matchup, that if Michigan were to win after winning in Week 9, for both teams to finish 1-1 head-to-head and 5-1 in conference games. Next tie-breaker will be Strength of Victory.  Both teams have the same schedule and if they finish 8-2 would have the same opponent wins in the 1-1 head-to-head matchup. They both would have lost to the other, and both would have lost to San Antonio.

You're off a bit here.  This week against Birmingham DOES matter to San Antonio.  They need to win to keep pace with St. Louis (if they win) to make week 10 meaningful.  If San Antonio loses (and St. Louis wins) then week 10 is meaningless as St. Louis owns the tiebreaker (division record).

For Birmingham and Michigan, their remaining games are meaningless as the division game is being held in Birmingham regardless.  The UFL can't use Ford Field that Saturday.

The Brahmas will be wearing their away jerseys this coming week vs Birmingham. They are also telling everyone to wear yellow to the game as well, and offering a ticket package that included a yellow t-shirt and rally towel:

https://www.sacurrent.com/arts/san-antonio-brahmas-secure-ufl-playoff-spot-with-20-15-win-over-arlington-34593832

"During the Brahmas' final regular-season game, the team will honor first responders and armed forces service members in a "Hats Off to Heroes" tribute during which the Black and Gold will wear their Alamo Yellow Jersey. The jerseys feature a yellow ribbon, paying homage to first responders, veterans and those currently serving in the military.

What's more, the first 500 fans who visit the U.S. Army table at H-E-B Plaza on Saturday will get a yellow rally towel before the game, according to team officials. Tickets for the Brahmas' matchup against the Stallions are now available Ticketmaster. Fans can also purchase a ticket-and-yellow T-shirt package, which includes a Military City USA Brahmas shirt, by visiting UFL's website and using the promo code "Yellow."".

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'll save people a click from a blatant cloutchaser (why cloutchase for minor league football on YouTube is beyond me, but whatever). The article he's referring to is saying that "league insiders" are saying that the Houston Roughnecks will relocate back to TDECU Stadium and that the Michigan Panthers are going to try to play in "East Lansing" or "Ann Arbor" to be closer to families. 

And I thought Panthers games looked barren now....

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I'll save people a click from a blatant cloutchaser (why cloutchase for minor league football on YouTube is beyond me, but whatever). The article he's referring to is saying that "league insiders" are saying that the Houston Roughnecks will relocate back to TDECU Stadium and that the Michigan Panthers are going to try to play in "East Lansing" or "Ann Arbor" to be closer to families. 

"We're averaging barely over 8k, so let's move into literally the largest stadium in this half of the world."🤦‍♂️

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, McCall said:

"We're averaging barely over 8k, so let's move into literally the largest stadium in this half of the world."🤦‍♂️

I took another look at the athletic programs for Michigan and Michigan State to see if there was a possibility that it could be a soccer stadium but neither of their soccer programs play in a stadium larger than 2,500 so if this is true? Yeah, it’s exactly what I thought. 

Edited by Red Comet
TV Ratings

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

He basically reads off the articles and on his channel, he's posted the full UFL games (without commercials).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Comet said:

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

He basically reads off the articles and on his channel, he's posted the full UFL games (without commercials).

I'm happy with anyone that's willing to promote the league, and not act like he's the end all be all of YouTubers. He is quoting teh UFL Board, per some of the Redditt traffic I have seen today. He does have issues pronouncing names properly, though and that can be a little off-putting at times. The Roughnecks moving back to TDECU isn't much of a surprise, it was already planned. But if the league moves the Panthers to U of M, they better promote the hell out of the games and they'll probably be handing out a lot of free tickets to try to get the stands filled in. It's not like a modern NFL stadium, or even the Alamodome, where you can curtain off portions of the stadium since it doesn't have multiple levels of seating like others. The end zones will also likely be empty just like Ford Field. Rynearson is a 44 minute drive from Ford Field and fits a smaller spring league. The biggest issue there is if the league moved up to a first weekend in March start. Yes, the field is grey, but I think it's more important to be somewhere that wants you there, and Ford Field and the Lions seem to have treated the Panthers as an inconvenience rather than a tenant that would get them more money as a result of the UFL season. 

20200916_fbl_michigan_stadium.jpg

rynearson-stadium-X3-366004b65056a36_366

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I took another look at the athletic programs for Michigan and Michigan State to see if there was a possibility that it could be a soccer stadium but neither of their soccer programs play in a stadium larger than 2,500 so if this is true? Yeah, it’s exactly what I thought. 

I'm not really surprised too much by that Brahmas/Renegades number. I figured that it'd get lower numbers. One issue I have in San Antonio, with the ABC channel anyways, is that on Sunday mornings local programming supersedes league programming until 12 PM. This isn't an issue for the NFL, because ABC doesn't have Sunday morning games, but I'm surprised that ABC/ESPN didn't say they needed the entire window. At least the games are available on ESPN+ so you can watch the start there if you have it. 

This needs to be fixed next year, regardless. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm not really surprised too much by that Brahmas/Renegades number. I figured that it'd get lower numbers. One issue I have in San Antonio, with the ABC channel anyways, is that on Sunday mornings local programming supersedes league programming until 12 PM. This isn't an issue for the NFL, because ABC doesn't have Sunday morning games, but I'm surprised that ABC/ESPN didn't say they needed the entire window. At least the games are available on ESPN+ so you can watch the start there if you have it. 

This needs to be fixed next year, regardless. 

I vented to KSAT about this.  I understand obligations to the preacher and such, but it's ridiculous when they're showing baby animals or some other BS instead of the football game... and THEN they have the gall on their promos to pump up to show 'all the action'.

Of course, it would be real nice if the games started in the 1pm Eastern slot.

• Like 1

If you're thinking about going to the UFL Championship, the presale codes for all UFL season ticket members went out today. Some of the Battlehawks fans have said their prices went up, and others said the tickets cost less. It's probably based on seat location, and the ones with increased prices are the people in the upper decks. 

As a valued season ticket member of our UFL family, you have an exclusive opportunity to buy tickets to the UFL Championship Game at preferred pricing.

Your exclusive presale window starts now and will end tonight, May 22nd, at 11:59 PM.

During this exclusive presale, you can purchase tickets to the UFL Championship game before tickets become available to the general public on May 23. 

Use code: UFLSTM to purchase up to 8 tickets.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

RE: Panthers being re-homed 

Why not Western Michigan’s Waldo stadium that seats just above 30k? 
spacer.png

Or Central Michigan’s Kelly Stadium with roughly the same capacity?

spacer.png

Would there actually be enough fans willing to make the 2.5-3 hr trek outside of Detroit to see a spring league football game? Enough to fill 1/3 of the stadium?

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

RE: Panthers being re-homed 

Why not Western Michigan’s Waldo stadium that seats just above 30k? 
spacer.png

Or Central Michigan’s Kelly Stadium with roughly the same capacity?

spacer.png

Would there actually be enough fans willing to make the 2.5-3 hr trek outside of Detroit to see a spring league football game? Enough to fill 1/3 of the stadium?

08b7b2e8-b23c-467b-8da9-4a634621e9e8_tex