This is the UFL! (XFL/USFL Merger)

Cujo

The heavy rumor remains a late spring start with 10-12 teams and 6 hub cities (UGH!)

- Arlington Renegades

- Birmingham Stallions

- Canton [Fill in the blank}

- DC Defenders

- Houston Gamblers

- Memphis Showboats

- Michigan Panthers

- New Orleans Breakers

- Orlando Guardians

- San Antonio Brahmas

- Seattle Sea Dragons

- St Louis Battlehawks

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

16 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The heavy rumor remains a late spring start with 10-12 teams and 6 hub cities (UGH!)

- Arlington Renegades

- Birmingham Stallions

- Canton [Fill in the blank}

- DC Defenders

- Houston Gamblers

- Memphis Showboats

- Michigan Panthers

- New Orleans Breakers

- Orlando Guardians

- San Antonio Brahmas

- Seattle Sea Dragons

- St Louis Battlehawks

I just don't see who from the XFL teams has to get screwed over to make 6 hubs. San Antonio, St. Louis, Arlington, Seattle, and Washington D.C. all earned the right to keep teams in their home markets. Houston dropped off from 2020, but I think we all expect the Roughnecks to be dropped for the Gamblers. Starter was rumored to take over the USFL uniform contract this coming season, so I wonder if they get the call to replace uniforms for the new league or do they go with Under Armour to build off of what they already created with the XFL. Most of the USFL looks transfer right over, save for the side panels on the jerseys. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

24 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

San Antonio, St. Louis, Arlington, Seattle, and Washington D.C. all earned the right to keep teams in their home markets

Those were phenomenal markets, especially STL and DC!

Just in general, having any game at a neutral site (aside from a championship game) is sad and reeks of poverty. And we saw in the UFSL how empty those neutral game stadiums were. Having 200 fans at the game and having a "Pittsburgh" team that will never play in the state of Pennsylvania is a real slap in the face.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

6uXNWAo.png

16 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Those were phenomenal markets, especially STL and DC!

Just in general, having the any game at a neutral site (aside from a championship game) is sad and reeks of poverty. And we saw in the UFSL how empty those neutral game stadiums were. Having 200 fans at the game and having a "Pittsburgh" team that will never play in the state of Pennsylvania is a real slap in the face.

My-point-exactly GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

The XFL had stated they didn't expect to break even before 2027. $60 million in losses was no small thing, but it wasn't going to put them under immediately. I have seen that those team that don't play in 2024 are still capable of coming back in once they confirm a place to play. I would hope that means a 16 team league in 2025, and hopefully with some level of buy in from the NFL with it. Both leagues coordinated with the top college leagues to get more reps for game officials, so I hope that we can see that extended to NFL refs, team personnel and, most importantly, the players. If I'm sitting on the practice squad all year, I'd be chomping at the bit to go play 10 games and build up my game film profile for the rest of the league to see. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

44 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I just don't see who from the XFL teams has to get screwed over to make 6 hubs. San Antonio, St. Louis, Arlington, Seattle, and Washington D.C. all earned the right to keep teams in their home markets. Houston dropped off from 2020, but I think we all expect the Roughnecks to be dropped for the Gamblers. Starter was rumored to take over the USFL uniform contract this coming season, so I wonder if they get the call to replace uniforms for the new league or do they go with Under Armour to build off of what they already created with the XFL. Most of the USFL looks transfer right over, save for the side panels on the jerseys. 

Arlington may end up being hubbed to San Antonio because nobody is going to attend an Arlington game in June when the temperature is 102 degrees.  There's a reason the Texas Rangers left Choctaw Stadium for the Costco Store next door.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Arlington may end up being hubbed to San Antonio 

I'm hoping the April start is only for 2024, and a mid-February/first week of March schedule is used from 2025 onwards. I also think enough Brahmas fans may help out attendance at Renegades games. I'd also hope that means that both teams practice locally like USFL teams do instead of half the league working out of Arlington, and the other half working out of Birmingham during the week. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm hoping the April start is only for 2024, and a mid-February/first week of March schedule is used from 2025 onwards. I also think enough Brahmas fans may help out attendance at Renegades games. I'd also hope that means that both teams practice locally like USFL teams do instead of half the league working out of Arlington, and the other half working out of Birmingham during the week. 

Am I off-base to think that the Texas teams would do better with the hub model than other cities, seeing as how there are probably plenty of transplants from Dallas and Houston in San Antonio, and vice versa and etc.? Not saying I'm for it, because I still loathe the idea of hub cities. Just feels like there would be enough Texans from one metropolis in another. Or am I very wrong with that theory?

5 minutes ago, McCall said:

Am I off-base to think that the Texas teams would do better with the hub model than other cities, seeing as how there are probably plenty of transplants from Dallas and Houston in San Antonio, and vice versa and etc.? Not saying I'm for it, because I still loathe the idea of hub cities. Just feels like there would be enough Texans from one metropolis in another. Or am I very wrong with that theory?

I think people expect people from Texas to just show up no matter what. But to counter that, we had decent amounts of fans come in from Dallas/Ft. Worth for the Renegades game, and even more for the XFL Championship. Houston was a much smaller group. To get those Dallas fans from the Arlington/DFW area in they'd need to play Saturday evening games or 12 PM Sunday kickoffs to give them time to make the trip down. A flight from Love or DFW to SAT is 30 minutes, but that's around $250-$400 per person depending on when you buy those tickets. So $1600-$2000 in travel and even more for hotels is a lot to ask anyone for spring football at the moment. Better to have the Renegades and Gamblers/Roughnecks play at home and use the fan base that's already local to those area. And if your counting on people originally from Dallas that live in San Antonio to root for anyone other than the Cowboys, that's a losing proposition unless they're giving out free or reduced tickets. Granted, I'd be happy not to see so many Steelers jerseys next year at Brahmas games. Apparently there are a lot of Steelers and Hines Ward fans in San Antonio. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I can't believe they're going with the "NSFL" acronym, which kills off the legacy/nostalgia marketing angle they just became able to fully embrace last year, and is both one letter more than the entity that will happily sue anything that comes within 100 yards of its IP, and one letter change away from an email with a surprise Goatse attachment.

You could simply rename it the United Spring Football League and cover all the bases without mucking things up. Alas.

I am reminded of my conclusion that XFL 1.0 could have never gotten off the ground without Vince McMahon pushing for it, and never could have survived with Vince McMahon running it. The poor decision makers are here, and they are emboldened.

• Like 6
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Is that official?

Did some basic Googling and found out the company who owns last season's USFL is called "National Spring Football League Enterprises Co, LLC".  (I think this is because the LLC predates Fox's purchase of the USFL trademark.) So the new trademark could be just for that, but they could also use it for the merged league.

I'm still holding out for something like "USXFL" myself.

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Is that official?

I don't think officially. A trademark lawyer on TwiX said the NFL would absolutely have a case if they wanted to contest it. Of course, this is just an announcement of their intent to merge. Still have a lot of things to work out before they officially do.

9 minutes ago, McCall said:

I don't think officially. A trademark lawyer on TwiX said the NFL would absolutely have a case if they wanted to contest it. Of course, this is just an announcement of their intent to merge. Still have a lot of things to work out before they officially do.

Including government approval of the merger, and who knows how long that will take.  

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Is that official?

From the sounds of it, yup.

While "UXFL" comes off a little ridiculous, that acronym screams to the public this league is the result of a USFL/XFL merger. "NSFL" makes it sounds like it's an entirely new spring league, ala UFL & AAF. Unidentifiable basically.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I can't believe they're going with the "NSFL" acronym, which kills off the legacy/nostalgia marketing angle they just became able to fully embrace last year, and is both one letter more than the entity that will happily sue anything that comes within 100 yards of its IP, and one letter change away from an email with a surprise Goatse attachment.

You could simply rename it the United Spring Football League and cover all the bases without mucking things up. Alas.

I am reminded of my conclusion that XFL 1.0 could have never gotten off the ground without Vince McMahon pushing for it, and never could have survived with Vince McMahon running it. The poor decision makers are here, and they are emboldened.

I wonder if NSFL is simply the placeholder while they try to decide if they are picking one league name over the other, or completely changing the name to something else. If they decide to simply rebrand as The Spring League, which is what this version of the USFL came from, I think they deserve all the hate they'd get.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder if NSFL is simply the placeholder while they try to decide if they are picking one league name over the other, or completely changing the name to something else. If they decide to simply rebrand as The Spring League, which is what this version of the USFL came from, I think they deserve all the hate they'd get.  

The league is floundering financially (hence the merger). I highly doubt they would go the trouble to the trademark the name if it were just a placeholder. Would be a complete waste of time, money and resources.

6uXNWAo.png