This is the UFL! (XFL/USFL Merger)

Cujo

3 hours ago, McCall said:

You'd be surprised how many people on TwiX think that the merger means the XFL failed and the USFL was wildly popular and successful and, thus, the hub city model works.🤦‍♂️

I think many see "football merger" and immediately think AFL/NFL, two powers coming together to make a super league. No. This was a move to keep the sinking ships afloat. Like if Bed Bath and Beyond got together with Kmart. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

6uXNWAo.png

Reportedly the XFL put in a trademark request for the UFL. Other than the ability to use some of the old identities, and to screw over another UFL that was supposed to start last year and who say they'll play in 2024, I don't know how this helps the XFL or USFL. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Reportedly the XFL put in a trademark request for the UFL. Other than the ability to use some of the old identities, and to screw over another UFL that was supposed to start last year and who say they'll play in 2024, I don't know how this helps the XFL or USFL. 

Are you referring to the former National Gridiron League, which rebranded as the UFL only to later be found out to be a scam?

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 6:49 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Keep the Roughnecks in Houston, move the Gamblers to Las Vegas, trash the Vipers

There's nowhere to play in Vegas.  Cashman sucked, Allegiant is a nonstarter, and Sam Boyd cannot host football due to UNLV's deal with the Raiders at Allegiant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So apparently the UFL names was previously owned by . . . Vince McMahon! That's interesting. The commentator doesn't believe the USFL/XFL would be using the team names though, just the league name. 

He's not wrong about not using the team names.  The first year uniforms for the 2009 UFL was atrocious.  it was basically the same style of uniforms with different colors.  

• Like 1

Just now, GDAWG said:

He's not wrong about not using the team names.  The first year uniforms for the 2009 UFL was atrocious.  it was basically the same style of uniforms with different colors.  

I think the names are workable, but that first year of the UFL when all the teams used the same 4 colors was pretty ugly.  At least they were willing to try new ideas. 

Photos: Florida Tuskers 2009 UFL season – Orlando Sentinel

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the names are workable,

Yes, indeed. The names New York Sentinels and California Redwoods in particular are good ones.  The latter employs the practice of using for a team an existing name of something else, such as was done with the names Baltimore Orioles, Texas Rangers, Chicago Fire, Colorado Rockies, and Florida Panthers. 

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just now, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Yes, indeed. The names New York Sentinaels and California Redwoods in particular are good ones.  The latter employs the practice of using for a team an existing name of something else, such as was done with the names Baltimore Orioles, Texas Rangers, Chicago Fire, Colorado Rockies, and Florida Panthers. 

...and New Jersey Devils,  Buffalo Bills,  New Orleans Jazz,  St. Louis Blues, Philadelphia Soul...

• Like 1

It is what it is.

11 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I loved the California Redwoods name from the old UFL.

If they could find a way to resurrect AAF names, the Apollos and Hotshots should be the front runners, but out of sheer hilarity bring back the Iron and put them in Erie.

Hotshots was a great name I thought with a reason behind it. 

• Like 2