This is the UFL! (XFL/USFL Merger)

Cujo

23 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I suspect the Maulers will be permanently in Canton, Ohio because I can't see this merged league getting into Acrisure.   I can't see how the Generals and Stars return, at least not in the cities that they were designated for anyways.  So the Gamblers are going to replace the Roughnecks in Houston. which is a weird move.  There had been rumors that before the news of merger talks were leaked, that the USFL was talking about placing the Breakers in New Orleans with the Shrine on Airline and Yulman Stadium as options.  

Yulman makes more sense to me. Except for one weekend for a spring game it's probably not in use if they used the USFL schedule for 2024. The Shrine is laid out similar to what Vegas was last year, so it's not an improvement over Memphis or Birmingham. So if they're doing hubs I could see the Breakers sharing space with either Houston or San Antonio, but I'd rather San Antonio still have the Alamodome all to themselves, especially since we still have the Home Shows, Disney on Ice and other events that are scheduled throught he summer. The only way around that would be double header days or a Saturday/Sunday split like was done this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So based on that and other info, it seems like a reasonably safe bet to lock in other USFL teams with home sites: Michigan, Memphis, Canton, and Birmingham for now. I think New Orleans also has a reasonably decent chance of working out as well. 

Houston should return too, just a matter of its the Gamblers or the Roughnecks. my bet is that the league will "merge" both franchises. 

Arlington, DC, St. Louis, and San Antonio all make sense to return from the XFL side as well.

It would suck to lose Seattle, but it makes sense if there's no other teams out west to serve as a rival/travel partner for them. Though i'd be a bit suprised if they pulled out of Florida altogether w/ Orlando despite their mediocre team/attendance. 

1 minute ago, Cruhawk7975 said:

So based on that and other info, it seems like a reasonably safe bet to lock in other USFL teams with home sites: Michigan, Memphis, Canton, and Birmingham for now. I think New Orleans also has a reasonably decent chance of working out as well. 

Houston should return too, just a matter of its the Gamblers or the Roughnecks. my bet is that the league will "merge" both franchises. 

Arlington, DC, St. Louis, and San Antonio all make sense to return from the XFL side as well.

It would suck to lose Seattle, but it makes sense if there's no other teams out west to serve as a rival/travel partner for them. Though i'd be a bit suprised if they pulled out of Florida altogether w/ Orlando despite their mediocre team/attendance. 

the scuttlebutt I have read about that is that it will be the Gamblers and that Wade Phillips will be the Head Coach and AJ Smith the OC, as they were with the Roughnecks.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cruhawk7975 said:

Todd Haley is being reported as not returning, so it's possible Vegas' new staff replaces his. 

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

the scuttlebutt I have read about that is that it will be the Gamblers and that Wade Phillips will be the Head Coach and AJ Smith the OC, as they were with the Roughnecks.  

I think this is what we all expect as well. I wonder how many Roughnecks fans will either walk away, or keep wearing the XFL gear? I also like the idea of USFL teams moving over to Under Armour, so that would give them a chance to fix up Memphis or the Maulers so that they don't look as much alike. The Gamblers could borrow a Texas Tech look and update their uniforms as well. Just lighten up the grey pants to the earlier throwbacks. 

Texas Tech football: Three bold 2023 predictions for the Red Raider QBs

Texas Tech Throwback Uniforms 2021 - YouTube

Texas Tech Uniforms Tournament: The Bracket - Viva The Matadors

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 4 weeks later...

Checking the league Twitter accounts over the past couple weeks, the USFL seems to only be active for Michigan, Memphis, and Birmingham, which would align with the speculation of keeping the hub home teams and ditching the rest. All the XFL teams seem to still be active, so who knows from that half.

Either way, tick-tick-tick.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

26 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Checking the league Twitter accounts over the past couple weeks, the USFL seems to only be active for Michigan, Memphis, and Birmingham, which would align with the speculation of keeping the hub home teams and ditching the rest. All the XFL teams seem to still be active, so who knows from that half.

Either way, tick-tick-tick.

I think we're about to his a hard deadline where they have to cut the cord and put off merging until 2025. To be fair, I think that's what they should have come out to do from the beginning. Also, the XFL is offering 60% off for all their gear this weekend. So if you wanted to get a jersey but couldn't justify the $190 price tag, it's $76 this weekend.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The St. Louis Battlehawks this week just promoted the fact that they're opening season ticket sales to the 400-level at the Dome at America's Center, the first time they've done that. They've opened it up to single-game tickets, but not season tickets in prior years.

It seems to suggest the obvious, that the Battlehawks will be included in the merged league. Not a surprise to anybody. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2023/11/21/xfl-battlehawks-season-tickets-usfl-merger.html

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It's been a busy day on TwiX. I'm a little perplexed if the reports of only an 8-team league are true. Unless it's only for 2024 and others returning in 2025. I prefer a start date immediately following the Super Bowl, at least until the league can really establish itself, but I guess March 30th is better than mid-April.

• Like 2

XFL will retain 4 teams:

- Arlington Renegades

- DC Defenders

- San Antonio Brahmas

- St Louis Battlehawks

USFL will retain 4 teams:

- Birmingham Stallions

- Houston Gamblers

- Memphis Showboats

- Michigan Panthers

8-team league merges with another 8-team league only to remain at 8 teams.

8f0119acbcfafe988bdd11b02ac53eec.gif

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

• Cujo changed the title to This is the XFL/USFL Merger
24 minutes ago, Cujo said:

XFL will retain 4 teams:

- Arlington Renegades

- DC Defenders

- San Antonio Brahmas

- St Louis Battlehawks

- Birmingham Stallions

- Houston Gamblers

- Memphis Showboats

- Michigan Panthers

This IS just reported at this point and not confirmed, so who knows.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cujo said:

XFL will retain 4 teams:

- Arlington Renegades

- DC Defenders

- San Antonio Brahmas

- St Louis Battlehawks

- Birmingham Stallions

- Houston Gamblers

- Memphis Showboats

- Michigan Panthers

So, this is a map of their markets:
usgur59.jpg

Kinda Texas-heavy (three out of the eight teams, nearly half). And NO west coast presence at all.  4 NFL markets, 4 non-NFL markets.  Interesting... 

It is what it is.

Just now, McCall said:

This IS just reported at this point and not confirmed, so who knows.

Seattle is too far away from the rest of the XFL, which is why they got cut.  Vegas was a disaster to start with.   As for the USFL, Canton had no permanent team and the others weren't even in their cities to begin with.   

19 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

usgur59.jpg

Kinda Texas-heavy (three out of the eight teams, nearly half). And NO west coast presence at all.  4 NFL markets, 4 non-NFL markets.  Interesting... 

Nothing West of San Antonio, North of the Mason-Dixon Line or South of DC all the way to Florida and nothing right in the heart of the Midwest.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

usgur59.jpg

Another thing about this map of teams, if you draw a straight line from Long Island all the way to the California/Oregon Border, there are no teams on that straight line.  Same if you draw a straight line from the very top of Minnesota (that Pandhandle thing) all the way down to Southern Louisiana.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Seattle is too far away from the rest of the XFL, which is why they got cut.  Vegas was a disaster to start with.   As for the USFL, Canton had no permanent team and the others weren't even in their cities to begin with.   

I always figured Seattle wouldn't make it due to geography. But they supposedly have a stadium deal with Canton, so I don't know what's going on there. I think most figured the Maulers would just become "Canton". I'm not big on them dropping Orlando. They have a great history of spring football. One season shouldn't be enough reason to cut them. If New Jersey could get into Red Bull Arena, that would be great. And there's been that speculation about New Orleans playing at The Shrine. (or Yulman).🤷‍♂️

• Like 2