This is the UFL! (XFL/USFL Merger)

Cujo

16 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

And the Rock's Instagram indicates that the XFL is returning in 2024, meaning that the league will not be called UFL:

Which also means that everything he's involved with will still be league sponsors.  

That, or they're just waiting til everything about the new league is fleshed out and ready to be announced and is just using the XFL for now.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

29 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Teams in both the XFL and USFL were told "business as usual" until a merger is officially announced. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Teams in both the XFL and USFL were told "business as usual" until a merger is officially announced. 

And once that happens, I presume there will be some sort of dispersal draft  or redistribution of players with contracts tied to defunct teams. 

Watching old video of the San Antonio Gunslingers and the Houston Gamblers. And I have a question, would we see the possibility of fauxbacks for teams that were in the XFL in cities that had USFL teams in them at one point? San Antonio, Houston, Orlando (when they return), and the current USFL teams are the only ones that would fall into that group I believe. I know Royal Retros makes throwbacks and some knockoff current USFL team jerseys, but they don't make them for the current XFL teams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I know Royal Retros makes throwbacks and some knockoff current USFL team jerseys, but they don't make them for the current XFL teams. 

Check the "Other" section under Football.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

9 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Check the "Other" section under Football.

70a2xfW.png

Good catch. I probably saw these and ditched them immediately out of my brain. 

552hdqjyfy4c1.jpg

The USFL has been doing rotating sales of their teams, so the conspiracy nuts are using them to guess which teams are actually surviving. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I assume, and I hope, that this answers the question of whether it would be the Gamblers or Roughnecks surviving the merger in Houston. 

Yeah, but that Houston team still may have to play a year in Canton, unless they get a deal done with the Dynamo, Texans, or Rice University. I'd almost rather they just do what San Antonio did last year and tarp off the top decks at NRG Stadium, and use only the lower bowl for Gamblers games until they get enough fans to justify opening up the other areas. 

https://www.xfl.com/teams/arlington/news/2023/12/14/arlington-renegades-announce-additional-premium-seating-options-for-2024-season

It also looks like Arlington got a big bump from the XFL championship last year. Not sure I'd pay $1000/seat, but it's offering pretty much the same things that the Lone Star Club is offering at the Alamodome, but in a more modern stadium. My tickets for the Lone Star Club were $650/seat. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yeah, but that Houston team still may have to play a year in Canton, unless they get a deal done with the Dynamo, Texans, or Rice University. I'd almost rather they just do what San Antonio did last year and tarp off the top decks at NRG Stadium, and use only the lower bowl for Gamblers games until they get enough fans to justify opening up the other areas. 

I doubt they'd play at NRG. Right before the merger talks were announced in September, it was said they were close or had an agreement for the Roughnecks to play at Rice. Seems more plausible. Shell Energy Stadium would be cool, but Rice would appear to have more open availability.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, McCall said:

I doubt they'd play at NRG. Right before the merger talks were announced in September, it was said they were close or had an agreement for the Roughnecks to play at Rice. Seems more plausible. Shell Energy Stadium would be cool, but Rice would appear to have more open availability.

I also think Rice has to be the site for this year, but I would prefer Shell Energy over them and NRG Stadium. I know Moose Johnson has pull over some stadiums in Texas, and he can lean on Troy Aikman to help him out. I also think this league would rather play in a 15,000-20,000 seat stadium and look like they are packing in crowds rather than playing with the equivalent of a giant bedsheet over one or both sides of the stadium like when the Spurs were at the Alamodome, or even the when the Talons were playing there. 

36711-16736573160832-1920.jpg

7575698084_37185646c3_z.jpg

11657img3.jpg

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This includes division info, dispersal and protection draft rules

Divisions: USFL and XFL divisions, so no regional alignment

Hubs: Training only. All teams will practice at Arlington, TX and go to their home stadiums to play

Dispersal: Each team can grab 10 players, but they must be from the former teams that are from their leagues (December 27). A second dispersal draft will be in January, with no restrictions on which league they can pull from.

No info on game rules yet. 

Also, based on DC United's schedule, the Defenders will be playing most of the first game of the season on the road.  If their schedule is based on United being on the road they will be  playing 2 of the first 5 games at home and reversing that on the back end. I hope that Thursday and Friday games are no more as well. But we'll see. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

This includes division info, dispersal and protection draft rules

Divisions: USFL and XFL divisions, so no regional alignment

Hubs: Training only. All teams will practice at Arlington, TX and go to their home stadiums to play

Dispersal: Each team can grab 10 players, but they must be from the former teams that are from their leagues (December 27). A second dispersal draft will be in January, with no restrictions on which league they can pull from.

No info on game rules yet. 

Also, based on DC United's schedule, the Defenders will be playing most of the first game of the season on the road.  If their schedule is based on United being on the road they will be  playing 2 of the first 5 games at home and reversing that on the back end. I hope that Thursday and Friday games are no more as well. But we'll see. 

Friday nights wouldn't be bad. But no Thursday night games. The league isn't established enough to draw on a weeknight like the NFL or CFB can.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, raz said:

The Houston Roughnecks dropped a  goodbye message in social media today but now I can't find it! Maybe it'll be the Gamblers after all. 

https://cw39.com/sports/gamblers-are-all-in-houston-usfl-team-will-be-part-of-2024-season-while-xfls-roughnecks-likely-out/

Rumors are that they may recolor the Gamblers to take the Roughnecks color scheme going forward. As long as that helmet from last year goes away, it's a benefit. I guess we'll see. Unfortunately, they'll be in the division opposite of Arlington and San Antonio if they keep the XFL and USFL divisions. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png