UNITED FOOTBALL LEAGUE: Revisited Concepts

WideRight

Taking a break from my Alt History of the 1983 USFL (now midseason in 2011), and as a way to process my general displeasure with the announcements and decisions behind the new UFL, I thought it might be a good time for me to dust off my earlier reimagining of the XFL (2020 and 2023) and USFL (2022) designs.  So, limiting myself to the 8 franchises that "made the cut" for the newly-dubbed United Football League (no relation to the 2009-2011 entity) Here are my earlier redesigns for the 8 clubs

#1  Dallas Renegades (Because Arlington, let's face it, is a suburb, and no one calls the Giants the East Rutherford Giants or the Bills the Orchard Park Bills).  Besides the obvious DR monogram logo makes so much more sense with it being Dallas, not Arlington. 

spacer.png

And a 2nd one today (I will re-release these ideas 2 at a time).  The DC Defenders. 

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Just to keep things balanced.  Here are two modern-day USFL updates I did a while back for two of the three teams that have survived. 

Birmingham-- created a more traditional and consistent stripe pattern. 

spacer.png

And Michigan, pretty much a retro version of their 1980's uniform with some slight striping changes and with the current logo. 

spacer.png

Memphis, San Antonio and Houston Roughnecks still to come. 

• Like 5

While I can understand the Roughnecks replacing the Gamblers,  you can not tell me that Detroit was a better option than Tampa Bay (or New Orleans).  Especially when the Tampa Bay Vipers had fans showing up for the team at Raymond James Stadium.  That team could have been the Tampa Bay Bandits.  You can also not tell me that the City of New Orleans, Tulane, the Saints, and the UFL would not have worked out a stadium deal to bring the Breakers to Yulman or the Superdome.  Also, why 8, why not 10 teams to start the UFL?  They could put the Roughnecks in the XFL Conference and add Tampa Bay and New Orleans in the USFL.

6 hours ago, zoads82 said:

While I can understand the Roughnecks replacing the Gamblers,  you can not tell me that Detroit was a better option than Tampa Bay (or New Orleans).  Especially when the Tampa Bay Vipers had fans showing up for the team at Raymond James Stadium.  That team could have been the Tampa Bay Bandits.  You can also not tell me that the City of New Orleans, Tulane, the Saints, and the UFL would not have worked out a stadium deal to bring the Breakers to Yulman or the Superdome.  Also, why 8, why not 10 teams to start the UFL?  They could put the Roughnecks in the XFL Conference and add Tampa Bay and New Orleans in the USFL.

2 hours ago, heavybass said:

The Rock says that I am too cheap to fund a league that makes sense.

It's about more than just renting a stadium. It's getting breaks for hotels, extra perks for the league officials, and support facilities for the teams. If the cities are asking for NFL sized prices to host UFL teams, the UFL is smart to walk away. This should be discussed in the UFL forum instead of a concepts presentation. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Hi all,  back to the uniform ideas, here are 2 more UFL clubs, both XFL.

St. Louis-- Pretty much a mix of the 2020 and 2023 looks, with a bit more emphasis on the arch (shoulder stripes). 

spacer.png

And the Houston Roughnecks, removing the 3 color helmet and the weird yoke and focusing on the oil spill element.  I still think sticking with the Gamblers, or going with 10 teams by keeping the Roughnecks and adding 2 more USFL teams (Stars and Breakers for me) like @zoads82 suggested would have been preferable.   Oh well. It isn't my money being spent so they can do what they want. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'm curious if there can be a version where Roughnecks will have the Gamblers' colors (black, red, charcoal, gold), so the possibility of a game with the Gambler throwbacks would be possible, with a de facto one helmet rule, dictated by more on austerity economics than by player "safety" concerns.  Same oil derrick H, but with a gold star, with maybe charcoal as the predominant oil slick color, as to exude the liquid gold oozing out of H-town and the industrial potential it represents.