2024 NFL Changes

On 7/9/2024 at 9:35 AM, DCarp1231 said:

GSDsRPCWgAAgMgJ?format=jpg&name=large
spacer.png

This actually works so much better than the white pants because of the gold numbers. Why these pants weren't part of the rotation from day one is beyond me.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

seriously - if they actually cropped it there, all we'd see is the jersey and slob shirt.  I get that you can't really make rules that (sigh) take away someone's individual expression (despite that they're still wearing a UNIform) but someone's got to put a stop to that trash.

There already is. Rule 5, Section 4, Article 5,Item 1:

Item 1. Garments Under Jerseys. Quarterbacks will be allowed to wear under the game jersey a solid colored T-shirt, turtleneck, or sweatshirt (consistent with team undergarment color) with sleeves cut to any length, as long as both sleeves are evenly trimmed and the edges are sewn and hemmed. All other players may wear garments under game jerseys only if the undergarment sleeves either (a) are full length to the wrist; or (b) are the half sleeve length as provided by the licensee each of which must be approved by the NFL. Players may not wear long-sleeved undergarments that include pebble-grip sleeves. Undergarments should be tucked in the uniform pants. Any undergarment that is untucked must not hang out from the bottom of the jersey in length longer than the small NFL Shield logo and the manufacturer’s logo located on the front area of the uniform pants, or the undergarment must be tucked in the uniform pants.

I bolded the key part: Undergarments should be tucked in. Between "acceptable" length and lack of enforcement, this is sadly unlikely to change.

On 7/9/2024 at 3:14 PM, DCarp1231 said:

I guess this is more of “things of no consequence you feel like sharing” territory, but my tweet made it into an official Commanders post

On a broader note, why does every team feel like they have to do an identical-type post to this on any uniform tweak?

• Like 2

fiowXOD.png

32 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

There already is. Rule 5, Section 4, Article 5,Item 1:

Item 1. Garments Under Jerseys. Quarterbacks will be allowed to wear under the game jersey a solid colored T-shirt, turtleneck, or sweatshirt (consistent with team undergarment color) with sleeves cut to any length, as long as both sleeves are evenly trimmed and the edges are sewn and hemmed. All other players may wear garments under game jerseys only if the undergarment sleeves either (a) are full length to the wrist; or (b) are the half sleeve length as provided by the licensee each of which must be approved by the NFL. Players may not wear long-sleeved undergarments that include pebble-grip sleeves. Undergarments should be tucked in the uniform pants. Any undergarment that is untucked must not hang out from the bottom of the jersey in length longer than the small NFL Shield logo and the manufacturer’s logo located on the front area of the uniform pants, or the undergarment must be tucked in the uniform pants.

I bolded the key part: Undergarments should be tucked in. Between "acceptable" length and lack of enforcement, this is sadly unlikely to change.

Unfortunately, "should" isn't the same as "must".

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

40 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Unfortunately, "should" isn't the same as "must".

True, but the last part could turn should into must. Any undershirt cannot cover the NFL Shield or maker's mark logo, and I'm willing to bet most of the undershirts have violated that. The NFL would be better off changing that rule to must outright, as you suggested.

I'm with you on the individual expression, though. I see it like this: within reason, players can dress how they want on their own time. But come gametime, when the players are on league time, they should be required to dress according to league regulations. I realize I'm beating a dead horse with this point, but that doesn't make it any less true. If you're getting paid millions of dollars and your job has a reasonable dress code, you need to follow it.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

56 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

On a broader note, why does every team feel like they have to do an identical-type post to this on any uniform tweak?

I don't look into it that much - connecting with the fans is something teams try to do all the time

• Like 3

Hopefully the 49ers do indeed wear their away throwbacks.  

This is what NFL on Thursday nights should look like each week:  classic uniform matchups.  

• Like 3
  • Meh 1
  • Yawn 2

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

This is what NFL on Thursday nights should look like each week:  classic uniform matchups.  

The Niners primary road uniform is more classic than the throwback to me. The throwback is to 1994 (nobody associated with the Niners really acknowledges the 1955 part anymore) while the primary is essentially the 80s jersey on a modern uniform template. If you're going for a throwback matchup, the primary white is a far better choice.

As @Cujo once put it - the Niners wear full-time throwbacks

• Like 18
  • Love 1
  • Applause 3

11 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

True, but the last part could turn should into must. Any undershirt cannot cover the NFL Shield or maker's mark logo, and I'm willing to bet most of the undershirts have violated that. The NFL would be better off changing that rule to must outright, as you suggested.

I'm with you on the individual expression, though. I see it like this: within reason, players can dress how they want on their own time. But come gametime, when the players are on league time, they should be required to dress according to league regulations. I realize I'm beating a dead horse with this point, but that doesn't make it any less true. If you're getting paid millions of dollars and your job has a reasonable dress code, you need to follow it.

This all makes sense to the people who frequent these boards, but most casual football fans think any fines related to uniform violations are ridiculous. Just look at the reactions when guys like Jalen Ramsey & Tyreek Hill voiced their displeasure about getting dinged for not having the proper socks on. 

Does it look unprofessional? Sure. Is it worth the negative PR to start enforcing it? Probably not.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ruttep said:

The Niners primary road uniform is more classic than the throwback to me. The throwback is to 1994 (nobody associated with the Niners really acknowledges the 1955 part anymore) while the primary is essentially the 80s jersey on a modern uniform template. If you're going for a throwback matchup, the primary white is a far better choice.

As @Cujo once put it - the Niners wear full-time throwbacks

Great point.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

This all makes sense to the people who frequent these boards, but most casual football fans think any fines related to uniform violations are ridiculous. Just look at the reactions when guys like Jalen Ramsey & Tyreek Hill voiced their displeasure about getting dinged for not having the proper socks on. 

Does it look unprofessional? Sure. Is it worth the negative PR to start enforcing it? Probably not.

Agreed. But I wonder if the fear of bad PR is overblown. We still watch football despite the uniform issues. How many of those people that stood up for Ramsey and Hill would stop watching if the rules were properly enforced?

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

They could even call it Throwback Thursday

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

Agreed. But I wonder if the fear of bad PR is overblown. We still watch football despite the uniform issues. How many of those people that stood up for Ramsey and Hill would stop watching if the rules were properly enforced?

I think the NFL has reached a point where almost nothing is going to stop people from watching. But the optics of players racking up tens of thousands of dollars in fines for untucked shirts or mismatching socks aren't the greatest when you consider the amount of off-field issues that get overlooked or swept under the rug.

At least that seems to be the general reaction to the uniform violations from both players & fans.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think the NFL has reached a point where almost nothing is going to stop people from watching. But the optics of players racking up tens of thousands of dollars in fines for untucked shirts or mismatching socks aren't the greatest when you consider the amount of off-field issues that get overlooked or swept under the rug.

At least that seems to be the general reaction to the uniform violations from both players & fans.  

I'd put the off-field issues in a different class, though. Some of that can be beyond the scope of the league, and it can be more complex than a dress code.

I look at the uniform issues more like the penalties for illegal techniques. If the NFL is only enforcing a reasonable standard, then the blame can be shifted to the players for not following that standard.

20 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

I'd put the off-field issues in a different class, though. Some of that can be beyond the scope of the league, and it can be more complex than a dress code.

I completely agree with you, I'm just sharing the perspective I've seen online whenever these uniform violations go public. Some people seem to think that the NFL isn't capable of addressing uniform violations and other more serious offenses. Just look at some of the comments here.

I completely agree with you, I'm just sharing the perspective I've seen online whenever these uniform violations go public. Some people seem to think that the NFL isn't capable of addressing uniform violations and other more serious offenses. Just look at some of the comments here.

“Mister Blister Catcher” is nice. 

Understood. I just can't stand people using a failure to solve large issues as an excuse to ignore small ones.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

Understood. I just can't stand people using a failure to solve large issues as an excuse to ignore small ones.

“There are still countries going to war, so why shouldn’t I just leave my gum wrapper on the ground?”

Well, for starters, those two things have nothing to do with each other…

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

27 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Now that Washington has gold pants again, Twitter photoshop bros have done the dumbest thing possible and created the Dollar General Steelers-

spacer.png

The funny thing is they host the Steelers this year. I'm not calling for it, but Washington could wear this uniform combo or the standard all-black against Pittsburgh.

• LOL 1