2024 WNBA Thread

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

She’s over-hyped and/or annoying to the current league roster, who weren’t treated like royalty by the basketball press? Or more complicated reasons, ones which require deft handling on a message board?

Mix of both. No one has ever come in this hyped before (the closest I can think of is Diana Taurasi), and no one has done it while being white, heterosexual, and generally approachable and likable (closest I can think of is Sue Bird and she turned out to be gay too). She represents an incursion on the weird cultural niche that the WNBA has made for itself.

I don't know what she's supposed to do about it. Apologize for drawing mainstream interest?

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wasn't Kelsey Plum similarly hyped up before coming to the WNBA?

I know I'm showing my ignorance, but there have been highly lauded no. 1 overall picks before.

Clark had the good fortune/misfortune to rise to prominence as the women's NCAA (rightfully) began to rally challenge the men's game in popularity, so she's had way, way more exposure than someone like Plum did. Though Plum didn't have a $3M shoe deal entering the league either, which is probably playing a big part in all of this.

Anyway, it's a really interesting story and good for Clark and Reece to be as aggressive and earnest as they have been. It'll make for an interesting rivalry if they both keep it up.

And if Cameron Brink starts winning, watch out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't think any woman's basketball player has been as hyped as Clark was. The NCAA tournament that just happened drew way more attention than any other year I've ever seen.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Hope Solo was kind of similar, wasn’t she? They were both hyped and hetero (Solo having awful taste in men), but Solo was always unhinged to a degree.

Doesn't quite map; there were a whole bunch of relative household names in U.S. women's soccer, which was always allowed to be what it was without being a punchline or money-pit-related source of resentment. Alex Morgan didn't make anyone mad until after 2016 when everything made someone somewhere mad.

Cameron Brink tore her ACL. That's a bummer because she was doing really well. Maybe we shouldn't be having such a short window between the end of the college season and the start of the WNBA season. Give these girls more of a break, sheesh.

17 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Doesn't quite map; there were a whole bunch of relative household names in U.S. women's soccer, which was always allowed to be what it was without being a punchline or money-pit-related source of resentment. Alex Morgan didn't make anyone mad until after 2016 when everything made someone somewhere mad.

Specifically wasn't it that she made Disney Adults mad because she led a bunch of her teammates in getting belligerently drunk at Epcot or something? That endeared her to me, honestly.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Cameron Brink tore her ACL. That's a bummer because she was doing really well. Maybe we shouldn't be having such a short window between the end of the college season and the start of the WNBA season. Give these girls more of a break, sheesh.

I assume the WNBA season runs in the summer for a few dollars-and-cents reasons:

1) mutual non-aggression pact with the NCAA

2) filling arena dates in the summer (I got into it with someone here for having the temerity to suggest the Toronto team play at Ricoh or Mississauga, assuming the ACC would lose money on WNBA games)

3) players go off to participate in Russian money-laundering schemes during the winter to make their actual money. Next time you think Caitlin Clark gets too much favoritism, remember, she never freed a terrorist arms merchant by not being able to put the bong down.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1