2024 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIX

I'm thinking back to the 49ers Week 5 combo and I need to know something. To anyone here who plays outdoor sports in high temperatures, does the sock color make any difference for feeling the heat? I would think the material would matter more than the color for dealing with heat. Personally, I think the players were just looking for an excuse to go all white, but I'm curious if there's a function argument.

Apologies for distracting from the Pats uniform news, but I couldn't find the right words for my question until today.

47 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

I'm thinking back to the 49ers Week 5 combo and I need to know something. To anyone here who plays outdoor sports in high temperatures, does the sock color make any difference for feeling the heat? I would think the material would matter more than the color for dealing with heat. Personally, I think the players were just looking for an excuse to go all white, but I'm curious if there's a function argument.

Apologies for distracting from the Pats uniform news, but I couldn't find the right words for my question until today.

That “heat related” uniform last second change request by SF was a joke about comfort and more about the devolved look of the NFL.   Every player wants the icy white bottom now with no stripes on pants, high white tights.  If it is a night game or inside, they choose all black combos with the least color included, please.

I bike all summer in Sonoran Desert heat around Phoenix, previously a runner in the same for over 20 years.   I would never rate a yellow or gold jersey as too hot compared to a white one as did the 49ers in picking their terrible white throwbacks pants vs AZ in all white.  And red is not really a heat retainer color!  Yeh, avoiding all black or dark navy is wise.  But an NFL player also has layers of foam & plastic between him and his uni that negates sun affect plus is hot anyways.  

• Applause 1

The Patriots made a follow-up post, and it seems to indicate white socks with the uniform.

However, it appears they Photoshopped a picture from Week 1 against the Bengals, and Gonzalez wore white accessories and socks for that one that have not been touched in the edit. So, it is possible this is just the photo they used, and it isn't an indicator on sock color.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

The 49ers wanted to change to all white because of the heat. They wouldn't be pleading if it were a joke. It was hotter than it usually was in Santa Clara during that time in the week 5 game against the Cardinals.

Epic fail of the point.  None of us were in the email between SF & NFL on this topic.  Once the League said no to a WAH game for 49 ers vs Cards in all whites, why does the team go on and proceed to wear the throwbacks of Red/white vs better looking origin of Red/gold? Those were the two options and there is no significant difference in heat retention.   Uuggghh!!!

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

The Patriots made a follow-up post, and it seems to indicate white socks with the uniform.

However, it appears they Photoshopped a picture from Week 1 against the Bengals, and Gonzalez wore white accessories and socks for that one that have not been touched in the edit. So, it is possible this is just the photo they used, and it isn't an indicator on sock color.

Peak- silver pants with blue socks

Sleek- silver pants with red socks

Bleak- silver pants with white socks

8 hours ago, AVGuy said:

That “heat related” uniform last second change request by SF was a joke about comfort and more about the devolved look of the NFL.   Every player wants the icy white bottom now with no stripes on pants, high white tights.  If it is a night game or inside, they choose all black combos with the least color included, please.

I bike all summer in Sonoran Desert heat around Phoenix, previously a runner in the same for over 20 years.   I would never rate a yellow or gold jersey as too hot compared to a white one as did the 49ers in picking their terrible white throwbacks pants vs AZ in all white.  And red is not really a heat retainer color!  Yeh, avoiding all black or dark navy is wise.  But an NFL player also has layers of foam & plastic between him and his uni that negates sun affect plus is hot anyways.  

I'm guessing it's a psychological thing more than a functional one.  Maybe there isn't much of a difference between red and white; but if you tell people that eagerly enough, they'll believe you.

"Today, it is the money that matters.  Not honor.  Not family.  Only the money." - Lukyan Barsukov

17 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The football uniform gods really said “Fine, here’s the Patriots in silver pants but you’ll have to suffer icy Lions”

They also said here’s Eagles black pants, Jets white leggings, and many other terrible looks.

It’s hard to get excited about the handful of decent looking games each week when most look like trash.

13 hours ago, AVGuy said:

Just wanted to say love your pfp, Genesis is my all time favorite band

I’ve wanted to see the Patriots in white/silver for so long now like everyone else, but the white socks were the wrong decision. Their normal navy socks would’ve been much better here.

IMO, light colored pants teams shouldn’t wear white socks or it has that “washed out” look. Like the Seahawks and Lions gray pants and 49ers and Packers white jersey/gold pants.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Pats to wear white over silver tomorrow.

Finally! I still don't like their current uniforms, but they do look better with silver pants. They need to just scrap the navy pants altogether.

Caveat: I don't know if it's the lighting at the stadium or the shade of silver they're using, but I swear it looks like they're wearing all-white in most camera angles, which is unfortunate. The white socks might also be contributing to this.

The Jaguars are wearing their best combo too, but like the Patriots, it really needs contrasting socks.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12