MLB by MJD7

MJD7

whd17ty.png

Hello there everyone,

It's been a couple years since I've updated my main MLB concepts, and even longer since I put them on a full uniform template, so I figured I'd do so now. Things also got a bit convoluted with the "Cooperstown Collection" designs and my City Connect tweaks all occupying that previous thread, so this felt like a good chance to start fresh. Big thanks to @SFGiants58 for providing the template, and to @colinturner95 for providing the template for the cleats! Although most of the designs won't be all that different from my previous series, here are some things to know:

• I will be following Nike's "4+1" format, where every team has one home, one away, two alternates (at most), and a City Connect. I limited myself to just tweaking the existing City Connects as opposed to any wholesale redesigns.
  • Although I will only be posting one combo for each jersey, so as to not clutter up each post, I'd be happy to show alternative combos of hats, jerseys, and pants, upon request.
  • Along with posting these designs on my Twitter, as well (@MJD7Design), I'm going to start posting more consistently to my Instagram, at the same handle, so feel free to give me a follow.
    • On that note, I'll actually be going in backwards alphabetical order this time around, starting with the Washington Nationals, as that will help the Instagram feed to look better.
  • I'll be posting one team a day, until the end of the month.

And with that, let's get started! I hope you enjoy.

American League

East

Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | New York Yankees | Tampa Bay Rays | Toronto Blue Jays

Central

Chicago White Sox | Cleveland Guardians | Detroit Tigers | Kansas City Royals | Minnesota Twins

West

Houston Astros | Los Angeles Angels | Oakland Athletics | Seattle Mariners | Texas Rangers

National League

East

Atlanta Braves | Miami Marlins | New York Mets | Philadelphia Phillies | Washington Nationals

Central

Chicago Cubs | Cincinnati Reds | Milwaukee Brewers | Pittsburgh Pirates | St. Louis Cardinals

West

Arizona Diamondbacks | Colorado Rockies | Los Angeles Dodgers | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants

• Like 4

Washington Nationals

• I made the striping pattern consistent across all jerseys, went back to their superior "Washington" script, and brought back the red jersey. 

LMNdRVN.png UoBP4J2.png TyzjAuB.png ai934a1.png

• For the City Connect, the gray backdrop has grown on me, I just went with a large "DC" instead of "WSH," inspired by a design @JayJaxon previewed for me for his upcoming concept series.

R2yiWv0.png

• Like 17
  • Love 2

Toronto Blue Jays

• The Jays have some of the best uniforms in all of baseball, so I didn't really change much.
  • For the powder blue alternate, I went with royal blue accents instead of navy, and a powder front-panel cap.

WWOGjjb.png vzOE5SI.png r1NeNUE.png JWq7fzz.png

• I went with royal blue accents as opposed to red for the City Connect.

bE9rqLp.png

• Like 12

This may be personal preference, but I don't like the navy/black outline on the gray & powder jerseys. I think their font looks best when the numbers sit directly on the color jersey they have, no outline needed. And I might even take it a step further and change the inner stroke from white to the respective jersey colors.

• Like 2

tinysig.jpg

51 minutes ago, Jake3roo said:

This may be personal preference, but I don't like the navy/black outline on the gray & powder jerseys. I think their font looks best when the numbers sit directly on the color jersey they have, no outline needed. And I might even take it a step further and change the inner stroke from white to the respective jersey colors.

You're definitely not alone in that opinion. The navy outline on the Jays' road jerseys is one of those "guilty pleasure" uniform quirks of mine, where it shouldn't work, but it does for me. I can see why other people may not like it though.

• Like 1

Texas Rangers

• I think the way for the Rangers to stand out is to go with a constrasting red brim for their home blue cap, like they did in the '80s.
  • The red cap would also have a constrasting blue brim, and I brought back the red alternate, this time with the "Rangers" script.

22CIART.png j96g1fZ.png iNrVXUB.png wpP9XYY.png

• I think their City Connect is pretty good, so no real changes.

zfFQWUu.png

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Tampa Bay Rays

• I thought about going all-in on the '90s gradient, but I'm not ready yet. Maybe in a future redesigns series. For now, I stick with the 70's fauxback theme.
  • This set would be the ultimate mix-&-match, in my opinion. Any hat could go with any jersey.

IAxOx3X.png fQu6S24.png sf14Vz3.png

• Their City Connect is among the best, so no major changes beyond the sleeve patch. 

N7w7nTe.png

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Tampa Bay Rays

• I thought about going all-in on the '90s gradient, but I'm not ready yet. Maybe in a future redesigns series. For now, I stick with the 70's fauxback theme.
  • This set would be the ultimate mix-&-match, in my opinion. Any hat could go with any jersey.

• Their City Connect is among the best, so no major changes beyond the sleeve patch. 

zMuadR0.png

This is a much needed change for the Rays. It better exemplifies the Rays name and feels very Florida

• Like 3
signature2

On 7/5/2024 at 12:22 PM, MJD7 said:

Tampa Bay Rays

zMuadR0.png

First entry in this series that is a major departure from what the team actually wears and you did a great job on it. It's also the first entry without a second alternate jersey. I'm usually not a fan of colored alternate jerseys or "softball tops," but it feels very appropriate for the retro 70s vibes. I can't help but wonder what a yellow version might look like to round out the set...

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 12:55 PM, johne9109 said:

This is a much needed change for the Rays. It better exemplifies the Rays name and feels very Florida

Thanks! As much as I love the navy & columbia blue scheme, the Rays barely embrace the columbia blue or yellow. I'm starting to think it may be time for them to go with the '90s gradient full-time. This was kind of my last attempt to maintain and improve the current color scheme.

14 minutes ago, lilleff512 said:

First entry in this series that is a major departure from what the team actually wears and you did a great job on it. It's also the first entry without a second alternate jersey. I'm usually not a fan of colored alternate jerseys or "softball tops," but it feels very appropriate for the retro 70s vibes. I can't help but wonder what a yellow version might look like to round out the set...

Thanks! Yeah, I think the Rays (if they keep the current color scheme) are one team that doesn't really need a road gray (there should be at least one more of those teams in this series). As for a yellow jersey, I did have one as part of my Spring Training designs for the jerseys-only version of this series. Although I'm not sure I'd endorse it to be part of the set, here's a look at what a yellow jersey might look like with the full uniform version:

vDzaCnz.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

St. Louis Cardinals

• The Cards might very well have a claim to the best uniforms in baseball, so no major changes beyond adding a custom number font inspired by signage around Busch Stadium.
  • I also altered the throwbacks to make them each more accurate to their respective areas.

mSqMde8.png x9nBV2T.png WmNAeb9.png EsgGk09.png

• The City Connect retains my adjustments from the jersey-only version, while continuing the wavy stripe to the pants and socks.

G0qSe3T.png

• Like 8

Seattle Mariners

• I went all-in on a redesign based on the City Connect logos and wordmarks, while retaining the navy & teal.
  • I added a "wavy" effect to the wordmark, befitting of the name & referencing a wordmark from the late '80s.

uM6mCWY.png tJGkQo0.png 5q1LwC4.png 0VQRxYf.png

• Traditionalists may disapprove, but the black pants have grown on me with the City Connect. I tried white pants, but it didn't really work all that well with no white present in the jersey or cap.

n2q7cNS.png

• Like 9
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Seattle Mariners

• I went all-in on a redesign based on the City Connect logos and wordmarks, while retaining the navy & teal.
  • I added a "wavy" effect to the wordmark, befitting of the name & referencing a wordmark from the late '80s.

• Traditionalists may disapprove, but the black pants have grown on me with the City Connect. I tried white pants, but it didn't really work all that well with no white present in the jersey or cap.

n2q7cNS.png

A black number outline on the City Connect could help the black pants seem less out of place. 

8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Seattle Mariners

n2q7cNS.png

Wow!! Saw these pop up on my twitter feed and had to follow! Amazing work my friend, really like how they're all coming out.
Hope to see my New York Mets soon!

-Dabrow

On 7/7/2024 at 1:11 PM, MCM0313 said:

A black number outline on the City Connect could help the black pants seem less out of place. 

It does already have the black dropshadow, but yeah, adding a full outline (like the cap logo) might help to bring in the black a little bit more. I like how the shadow by itself looks on the jersey, though.

18 hours ago, dabrowskiego said:

Wow!! Saw these pop up on my twitter feed and had to follow! Amazing work my friend, really like how they're all coming out.
Hope to see my New York Mets soon!

-Dabrow

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. I'm posting one team a day, going in backwards alphabetical order, so the Mets should be up in about a week!

San Francisco Giants

• I went back to the Giants' current wordmarks and created my own matching version for the "San Francisco" wordmark.
  • I removed the headspoon piping from the jerseys, going back to the neck striping that matches the sleeves, like the early 2010's look.

NvcOxyM.png LL9dJ98.png 19cu7ML.png ukorfLB.png

• Their City Connect definitely has some glaring issues, but could be among the best with just a couple simple fixes: I added the beautiful "San Francisco" script onto the front, and made the fog gradient less harsh so the numbers are actually somewhat readable.

tsnBMMz.png

• Like 12

Great work so far, I especially like what you did with Seattle and San Francisco. It's amazing how much better the Giants City Connect set looks with that cursive "San Franciso" script on front.

Can't wait to see the rest of this! 

• Love 1

16 hours ago, mahnkej said:

Great work so far, I especially like what you did with Seattle and San Francisco. It's amazing how much better the Giants City Connect set looks with that cursive "San Franciso" script on front.

Can't wait to see the rest of this! 

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

San Diego Padres

• I changed the brown alternate to be more like the previous navy style, with the "SD" logo and double striping. I also added back the "Taco Bell" cap.

3rZwqCF.png DiDGavO.png oXJS3Je.png

• It took me going to San Diego & seeing the City Connect in person for it to really grow on me. It's bright, it's out-there, but it feels incredibly fitting for San Diego. I just adjusted the hat to be closer in style to the jersey, inspired by @coco1997's take on it.

SvQZUR1.png

• Like 7

Pittsburgh Pirates

• I went back to the block "Pittsburgh" away font, but added the script back in on a new gold alternate.
  • I went with the bold and iconic primary logo on the black alternate, no outlines necessary.

vWJBvCB.png lXDh5iE.png qIXdG9P.png VaGRcJ8.png

REO7VjU.png

• Like 8
  • Love 1