Mike Modano: Another Stupid Greedy Player

gojetsgo

Not sure if you guys heard this one:

Winnipeg Sun Article (read it)

Mike Modano was told by a reporter that he'd be making only $400 a week playing minor league hockey. Modano said that wasn't enough to feed his dogs. If it wasn't glaringly obvious already it certainly is now: players have lost all touch with reality. They've lost all common sense. Does Modano not realize that many people would be happy to make $400 a week? I don't make much more than that.

I love hockey but this greed shown by the players sickens me. I've always known they were overpaid and out of touch but this has reached new lows. How I feel for the players off the ice is starting to spill over to how I feel about them on the ice. How could I possibly cheer for someone who shows such arrogance and disrespect towards his own fans?

Mostly, I feel angry that a few greedy bastards (players and owners included) are ruining the greatest sport in the world.

Sad

On the other side John Madden of the Devils said he would have no problem witha cap lets hope Madden and more players like him have common sense while Wayne and Mario on the owners side work to soften some of the hardliners this way they could meet somewhere in the middle.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm not riding in to defend the players, but seriously, it probably isn't enough to feed his dogs, think about it:

After taxes, he's probably bringing home 1200 out of a possible 1600 a month, which probably doesn't pay his mortgage, car payments, insurance, health, etc.

Sure, its easy enough to blame the guy for sounding like a jackass, but many people everyone on these boards work with couldn't take a 15% pay cut without some heavy financial burdens and reshifting. I mean, look at what you make and cut 15% off (and the NHLer's arer taking a much bigger cut than that)

People's lifestyles have a tendency to grow with their income, and I think this is just natural and easily avoided, but don't be calling him stupid for this comment. Once someone is handed more money, 9/10 times they will spend it or upgrade things they already have - better car, bigger house, newer computer, better sneakers, more jerseys, whatever. It's the nature of the American way, bigger, better, faster.

Only when people lose the material mindset can you be happy with what you've got. Blame Modano for that I guess.

And remember what a friend told me, and I believe to be 100% true: It's not hard being poor, it's hard getting poor.

I'm not riding in to defend the players, but seriously, it probably isn't enough to feed his dogs, think about it:

After taxes, he's probably bringing home 1200 out of a possible 1600 a month, which probably doesn't pay his mortgage, car payments, insurance, health, etc.

I'm pretty sure he meant that $400/week alone couldn't pay to feed his dogs. As in, his dogs eat more that $400/week in food.

Yes it's tough to go from making alot of money to making less money but Modano makes millions per year. He's set for life. There is no excuse for a comment like that coming from a guy like him.

I'm really not trying to defend millionaires here, honest!

Sure, he should be set for life, bt I'm sure his lifestyle and just his monthly bills - car, house, etc. - all are HUGE expenses, and a lot of his money is most likely (or should be) tied up in investments and the like.

I'm not defending millionaire players or billionaire owners, but I'm just looking at it in a more reasonable way. It's easy to scoff at them all, (and we should, really, playing games for millions, then bitching in ANY way????) but there's a lot of players, especially the bottom 2/3 of the league, that will probably be hurting in a little while.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Sad

On the other side John Madden of the Devils said he would have no problem witha cap lets hope Madden and more players like him have common sense while Wayne and Mario on the owners side work to soften some of the hardliners this way they could meet somewhere in the middle.

I wonder why Mario and Wayne have not had much influence in this situation? Especially Mario because he's both an owner and a player.

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm really not trying to defend millionaires here, honest!

Sure, he should be set for life, bt I'm sure his lifestyle and just his monthly bills - car, house, etc. - all are HUGE expenses, and a lot of his money is most likely (or should be) tied up in investments and the like.

I'm not defending millionaire players or billionaire owners, but I'm just looking at it in a more reasonable way. It's easy to scoff at them all, (and we should, really, playing games for millions, then bitching in ANY way????) but there's a lot of players, especially the bottom 2/3 of the league, that will probably be hurting in a little while.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I understand your point, but his comment was made more than likely to sound exactly as it did. Like he's too good to be making $400 a week. He's better than that and better than everyone else not making anything.

Yes we can adjust if we're making 15% less. But you have to adjust if you'll be making 50% or 99% less. You can't get high and mighty about it.

It was an arrogant statement no matter how you look at it, but I understand where you're coming from.

BRAHMAS SIGN NHL BLUELINER BRAD LUKOWICH TO A CONTRACT

NHL defenseman Brad Lukowich, a former Dallas Stars player who helped lead the Tampa Bay Lightning to a the 2004 Stanley Cup Championship this past June, has signed a contract to play the 2004-2005 CHL season with the Fort Worth Brahmas.

News of Lukowich?s signing was announced by Brahmas? General Manager Mike Barack at an afternoon press conference today at the Fort Worth Convention Center.

Brahmas majority owner Stuart Fraser, who was involved in the process of signing Lukowich, is thrilled about today?s announcement.

"This is exciting news for the Brahmas and the Central Hockey League, said Fraser, "We believe this sends a message to our fans and the community that the Brahmas are committed to providing an entertaining and competitive hockey team here in the Metroplex."

394.jpeg.300.jpeg

I can understand what Modano's getting at here.

Much like some of the other guys said here, it's a matter simple economics. Modano, and most successful pro athletes, enjoy a healthy salary and live rich lifestyles as a result. It's the nature of success.

It shouldn't come as a surprise for someone in that tax bracket -- athletes, CEOs, etc. -- to say just $400 a week isn't adequate to pay the bills.

I don't see this as a reflection of greed as much as it is an admission of extreme income loss.

I can understand what Modano's getting at here.

Much like some of the other guys said here, it's a matter simple economics. Modano, and most successful pro athletes, enjoy a healthy salary and live rich lifestyles as a result. It's the nature of success.

It shouldn't come as a surprise for someone in that tax bracket -- athletes, CEOs, etc. -- to say just $400 a week isn't adequate to pay the bills.

I don't see this as a reflection of greed as much as it is an admission of extreme income loss.

I agree, it's not a reflection of greed. What is does reflect is how out of touch with the fans that players truly are now. In a way, they are no different than the millionaires that populate government and say they feel the average citizems pain.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I make $570, every two weeks, working full-time with mentally and behaviorly handicapped children...

Good to see what a man, who plays a kids game, thinks of making $800 in that same time frame...

Fuxker....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Sad

Of course, he immediately restated his position, saying that if the PA agreed to a salary cap, he'd go along with the PA.

They are completely out of touch... they can't even relate to other professional leagues, like the NFL (not surprisingly North America's most successful professional sports league) which has a salary cap and no guaranteed contracts, two things the NHLPA said they'd never accept.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived